A Few P's and a TR by IndyGuy - 4/26/09

IndyGuy4KI

This is my first PTR so bear with me...

We brought our 3 year old son Korbin on 4/26/09 for his first KI trip of the season. I was very excited for he is now tall enough to ride Fairly Odd Coaster, his first wooden coaster.

We left the west side of Indy at about 7:15. Stopped and grabbed some breakfast at Hardees. Can I say I don't like those potato "things" they have now. Bring back the hash rounds!!! Jumped on I-74, but stopped in Shelbyville to top off the tank for we only had 1/4 tank when we left. No, I did not plan ahead as far as gas was concerned. We got to the park right at 9:20. For those from Indy, this is awesome time, especially with 2 stops added. I was a little heavy footed, for I wanted to make it to some of the ERT.

We headed to DB and I got in the single ride queue at about 9:55. Got on in a few minutes, but by the time I got back to the station it was past 10 and rest of the park guests were in queue. I thought my wife was going to take a turn, but she had already taken Korbin back to Nick U for some rides. I caught back up with them over at Fairly Odd Coaster and Korbin got in 3 rides within about 15 minutes!

Here is the family pic on FOC.

img001.jpg

As you can tell, Korbin seems to love the ride. I think we have another enthusiast on our hands!

SNC00023.jpg

Korbin rode most of the rides in Nick-U that he could fit on. He loves ridding Swiper's Sweeper.

SNC00016.jpg

He also wanted to ride a Zebra, not a horse... Here is Korbin and I ridding a Zebra on Nick-O-Round!

After several hours over in Nick-U we got hungry and went to the Festhause for lunch. My wife Kim took Korbin on Monster while I jumped on Red Racer. We all rode the Scrambler. We were trying to get Korbin to take a nap but that was not happening. We were getting hot, so we went to Wild Thornberrys to cool off. I told Kim to go ride DB while Korbin and I rode WTB's, but when she went over there they were out of the single ride passes and she did not wait. She then came over and got in line with us at WTB's and we all rode together. It took about 25 minutes to get through that line. Korbin was upset that his pants got wet, for I think he thought he had wet himself. He had to change his pants for him to calm down.

We went back to DB and Kim told me to ride. I had to wait about 7 minutes before a ride op brought more passes down. I then waited another 20 minutes to get in the station for there were not many odd number of people in the regular queue. People that got in the regular queue at the same time as me got on the train before me, so sometimes the single rider line is not that much better? I got the very last seat, It was totally awesome. Me and the other guy in the back seat were discussing how wet we were going to get being in that seat. My shirt sleeve and the side of my face got wet, but that was it, a lot less than I expected.

After I rode DB, Korbin was starting to doze off so we headed for the front gates. We left around 3:15.

Hope you enjoyed my PTR!

Good TR!! Of course, I won't be able to see the pics until later, but two comments:

1st, you should've tried to get as much gas in Cincy as possible since the gas prices in Indy (usually always more expensive than OH due to sales tax) seemed A LOT more expensive this weekend!! I filled up in Ohio for $1.81 per gallon...$0.20 cheaper per gal than my local Shell!

2nd, I don't know how much I want to start openly advocating this, but the SRL is sort of useless IMO. Especially since the # of SRL cards has quadrupled. I mean, if you don't care where you sit and the main queue is completely full, it's not terrible if you're working on a high D-back ride total for the day, but otherwise, the main queue seems more worthwhile to me for a better ride.

Edited by tigellinus

Good TR!! Of course, I won't be able to see the pics until later, but two comments:

1st, you should've tried to get as much gas in Cincy as possible since the gas prices in Indy (usually always more expensive than OH due to sales tax) seemed A LOT more expensive this weekend!! I filled up in Ohio for $1.81 per gallon...$0.20 cheaper per gal than my local Shell!

2nd, I don't know how much I want to start openly advocating this, but the SRL is sort of useless IMO. Especially since the # of SRL cards has quadrupled. I mean, if you don't care where you sit and the main queue is completely full, it's not terrible if you're working on a high D-back ride total for the day, but otherwise, the main queue seems more worthwhile to me for a better ride.

I got gas in Shelbyville for $1.79. It was $1.92 by my house.

Yeah, I was hoping the SRL would have worked out better, but I still got 2 rides in, and between the 2 rides saved maybe 10 minutes of time?

Great pics and TR. I especially love the one of the family on Fairly Odd Coaster.

While some of you may say the Single Rider Line is useless, I'm a fan. Of course it's all luck of the draw as to how fast it moves, and how often odd numbered groups in the regular line show up. There were a few times yesterday when the ride op loading the station pulled two people from the SRL, just to fill seats because the regular line was all large groups. I managed many more rides this weekend than I would have if I had waited in the regular queue. There were a few times when the regular queue got short yesterday that the SRL wasn't worth it, but I hope it continues to be used. If they weren't forcefully assigning seats in the regular line (although it's different depending on who's working crowd control), I might be more inclined to wait in the queue to have a better choice of seats, but until that changes, I'll stick with the single rider line!

Thanks IndyGuy for posting this. It reminded me to get the internet cam out and call home. Boy do I miss the times I had when my daughter was that little. She is 15 now and swears that she is not a Daddy's girl any more, but will not go to KI and ride DB until I get home. They think I am coming home on the 5th, but I will be home Thursday night, so I think Friday will be the big day for us. Well I did not mean to make this about me, just got a little excited when I saw your beautiful family together having such a great time.

Personally, I thought the SRL worked great Sunday morning. I managed to arrive at the park at 9:30, got three rides thru the SRL on DB in about 20 minutes, and was back out in the parking lot by 10:30. Worked great for what I had time to do. :)