Questions for the KI experts (morning ERT, etc.)

Thrillrider

Hi all!

We are heading up from Philly this weekend to check out this new monster at King's Island! I have a couple of questions for all you King's Island regulars.

First of all, we have the Cedar Fair platinum passes from King's Dominion. I see on the KI website that there is early ride time on Saturdays and Sundays on both Diamondback and The Beast. What time do the main gates open to the park? If the ERT starts at 9 AM, what time do you suggest we get to the park and where do you go to access Diamondback/Beast for the ERT? Do you go to a rope drop area and flash your pass there?

My second question - does King's Island still close their lines prior to the closing of the park? I wasn't sure if this policy had been changed with Cedar Fair. For example, if Diamondback is a posted one hour wait, do they close the line at 9 PM (if the park closes at 10 PM) or is the line accessible up until the actual closing time of the park?

Just one more question!! I have been reading conflicting reports about the ability to choose seats and the single rider line for Diamondback. Were the ride ops letting riders choose their own seats this past weekend, or is it simply the luck of the draw? And is the single rider line even worth it (i.e. can it save any significant amount of time)?

I apologize for all the questions, but certainly appreciate any help and advice. Thanks!!!!

Alan

First things first. The early ride time starts at 9am on Saturday, and 9:30 am the other days of the week. When I went this Sunday, they didn`t open the metal detectors until around 9:25. The Gold and Platinum Pass holder entrance for the early ride time is located near the Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle exit. They have people checking your passes (just flash your pass). Granted, a lot of pass holders will be there, so it won`t be exactly walk on rides on Diamondback. I got two rides in during the thirty minute ERT on Sunday.

As of opening day, the park was not closing the ride line for Diamondback early. That being said, The Beast does stop operating (the line remains open until 10pm) at around 9:45 until after the fireworks display and the all clear is given. Everyone in the ride line gets to ride once the ride reopens. I believe that The Racer operating under a similar procedure.

Choosing seats is not exactly an option on Diamondback. Both single riders and the normal line will be directed to their seats by one of the two separators working in the station. That being said, you can request to ride in the front or back of the train, and most times they will honor your request for those seats. The single rider line begins at the greeter station. You will be given a single rider card and proceed through the single rider line. This line is used to fill in empty seats from odd number groups in the regular line, and you really don`t get to choose your seat. And you may be waiting at the top of the stairs for a while if there are a lot of even numbered groups. Overall, the single rider line may save you some time. However, if the greeter is out of the single rider cards, you either have to wait for more, or enter the standard line.

Does that answer most of your questions?

^^I have to say, props to Robbie for pretty much summing up everything exactly!!

The only thing I will add is that I heard on Saturday they opened the metal detectors a little bit earlier than 5 mins before the ERT at 9:00 am.

Also, based on the ginormous amount of SRL cards they have now, I never saw a SR be denied one due to unavailability this past Saturday.

Thank you both for response! That definitely answers my questions. I do have one more question - with the metal detectors opening slightly before 9 AM on Saturdays, what time do you recommend getting to the park to get in line at the gate? If I show up at 8:45 AM, is there a good chance there could be a fairly long queue just to get in at that point or is it generally a non-issue at that time in the morning?

Thanks again!

In response to your last question, I went to Kings Island this past Saturday and on all four of my rides on Diamondback I was able to be assigned to the last row upon request. I wasn't using the Single Rider Line though, so that may not be exactly the answer you were looking for though.

All the same, have fun at the island :)

I actually had to wait about five minutes for more single rider cards on Sunday around 11:45.

As did I; I believe I was actually two people behind you in the single rider line that day.

But 5 minutes versus 45 minutes...

-RingMaster, who was able to get nine rides on Diamondback within the span of 2-and-a-half hours (as well as two rides on Beast and one on Crypt) on Sunday.

Thank you both for response! That definitely answers my questions. I do have one more question - with the metal detectors opening slightly before 9 AM on Saturdays, what time do you recommend getting to the park to get in line at the gate? If I show up at 8:45 AM, is there a good chance there could be a fairly long queue just to get in at that point or is it generally a non-issue at that time in the morning?

Thanks again!

They have a lot of metal detectors, so I'd say getting in line at 8:30 should be more than fine.