Diamondback Stats

Raptor Jo

I was going to post this ? over on Coasterbuzz but figured there are more KI experts here so here's the ??...

Did KI decide on the stats for DB or did B&M decide what the stats should be? Unlike Dorney and the likes, I know that KI doesnt have a height limitation so was wondering why they decided the 1st hill should be 230' instead of going for some huge/crazy 1st drop?

I was thinking it seemed rather odd that Nitro, Behemoth and now Diamondback all have the same 1st hill height.

Don't misunderstand, I absolutely LOVE everything about Diamondback it totally rocks...but then again I am slightly impartial to B&M's anyway! :P

Jo

Something else I've thought about is, Cedar Fair wanted the height that they chose because they wouldn't want to pull too many visitors from their flagship park, Cedar Point. My logic may be flawed because I know a guest at any Cedar Fair park is money in the same pockets. Same logic applies to future rides, do you honestly think we will get a TTD type ride that will be as tall if not taller? Doubtful, but anything can happen. IMO they don't want Kings Island to overshadow Cedar Point and will prevent that by throwing in smaller rides then what they have CP.

Something else I've thought about is, Cedar Fair wanted the height that they chose because they wouldn't want to pull too many visitors from their flagship park, Cedar Point. My logic may be flawed because I know a guest at any Cedar Fair park is money in the same pockets. Same logic applies to future rides, do you honestly think we will get a TTD type ride that will be as tall if not taller? Doubtful, but anything can happen. IMO they don't want Kings Island to overshadow Cedar Point and will prevent that by throwing in smaller rides then what they have CP.

I really wonder if in the future Cedar Point will be considered Cedar Fair's flagship park. King's Island rivals Cedar Point in attendence, and has a lot more land that is not being sold off like Canada's Wonderland. I really think the future will be how King's Island does. Don't get me wrong Cedar Point will be arranged and rearranged to add new stuff in the future, but how much more can you really add on the point without taking out something.

But Cedar Point has something that Kings Island does not currently have: on site hotels. CP produces a lot of out of park revenue that helps add to the bottom line. Currently, all of the money generated at Kings Island is within the confines of the park itself. Could we see a hotel built on some of KI`s excess land in the future as a way to generate additional revenue? Sure. Do I see it happening any time soon? No. Not given Cedar Fair`s debt levels and their recent push to pay down some of their debt.

I think Bolliger and Mabillard Coasters Could go up to 280ft. and still use their support style (Not use Box frames like Intamin Does.) But I think the park could say they would like something that does this and that, but it's up to the company if they want to do that or not. So I think the park can give the company and idea of what they want and the company could try to do it unless they don't want to.

I really don't think that is true. Yeah, we probably won't get a 450'+ coaster, but I don't think they limited it at 230' so we wouldn't 'overshadow' CP with that. I think it was the cost and placement. Obviously, $22 million dollars is a lot. Then, KI wanted the station where it is and for it to fit there how they wanted and with the drop, the height had to be limited.

I think the bottom line on both fronts (CF and B&M) is the future is not necessarily as certain as in times past, and frankly, just staying the course is the best course for the immediate time.

Not to say anything bad is going to happen, but big gambles and risks right now are heightened even so.

And there are many, many reasons you won't see a Top Thrill Dragster/Kingda Ka type ride built in the USA or Canada in the foreseeable future. At least not on that scale.

Thank goodness because TTD (aka: Top Thrill Dumpster) and Kingda Ka (aka: Kinda Kaka) both stink. They are the biggest waste of land ever, I still can't believe how CP destroyed that part of the park for 1 big hill. Total ride time on TTD? 14 seconds...no thanks. If it is a walk on I might ride but Id rather ride Raptor or even Maggie any day. Intamin cant even come close to touching B&Ms.

JMHO

Jo