Diamondback's Problems

Diamondback FOF

Rides break down, it's normal. This is not a big issue since they got it up and running in about 2 hours. If I'm correct hasn't there only been 2 breakdowns on Diamondback since the ride opened?

Yeah, I think it was last saturday(?), Drop Tower got stuck at the top twice and both times they had to manually lower it down.

Edited by skaterboy22101

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...What happened to B&Ms not having problems :P .

Compare Diamondback's opening uptime and reliability to:

Top Thrill Dragster

Kingda Ka

Volcano: The Blast Coaster

Maverick

I'd say B and M reliability has proven itself yet again. What appears to be a relatively minor incident on a single night does not a record smear.

just came to mind, what if this happened at the highest point of Kingda Ka :lol: can you say long dizzying walk down?

All new rides have hiccups when the open. You have to remember that not only is the ride new to the park, the computer system is new and different than any other in the park so it may take maintenence a little longer to figure out what is actually wrong.

I think that DB's reliability has been excellent thus far with minimum downtime.

TTD and Kingda Ka have a maintenance elevator. I guarantee there is a .01% chance they would ever evacuate the ride at the top if it was stuck, the only way being is if a piece of track dislodged. Diamondback is the most reliable coaster out of the gates that KI has built. Anyone remember any of these rides:

BLSC

TR:TR (The Crypt)

SoB

Invertigo

etc.

I don't understand why people were making such a big deal about the E-stop on Diamondback. The ride did exactly what it was designed to do - stop the ride if something has potentially malfunctioned. A malfunction could have been as minor as a small voltage fluctuation between the two PLC processors. It's a perfect example of how well engineered the control systems are and why B&Ms have a perfect safety record (I've lost count of how many injuries/deaths Intamin has had).

B&M's control systems are actually designed by an American company called Consign LLC (they also do the control systems for Great Coasters International). Check out their website http://www.consignllc.com/ to see how everything works. IMO, pretty cool stuff.

B&Ms have a lot of proximities. Those are the things along the ride that tell the contorl system where the train is at all times. IF one were to fail, the system would lose control of the ride...that means there could be a train dropping off the lift and a train coming up to the MCBR, because the system didn't know where the other train was!

Solution? The ride shuts itself down to prevent a lot of things. I know that's one things I hear people talk about B&Ms and their down time.

At least, I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Also, Diamondback runs in the rain. Not a hard rain, just rain....and it shuts down when lightning/storms are in the area. It runs two trains in the rain, from what I've seen being there in the rain. Probably to give more space between the trains.

I was there today and got my 30th ride on DB!!! I noticed that after the rain they only had one train running on every coaster except DB and BLST, and like on Beast a five min wait turned into a 15 min wait. And I noticed before the rain came DB was down, people in the line left, don't know what that was all about. But it reopened after the rain. :)

Not necessary. An evacuation device came with the ride. Nuff said about that (unless'n Monroe wishes to speak...)

Been hanging with the family so much that I did not even see this topic. Well to expand on this, (as teenageninja stated) there is a service elevator that caries about 4 people at the most. Never been used except by service people, it will not be used for evacuation unless the train, the track, or both are deemed to be unsafe to run. In other words, if they can push you over, they will and it has been done on TTD. (A push over that is.) I do not recall or know of any time the train has stopped at the top of KK, but that does not mean that it has not happened. There are other safety concerns and procedures that go along with that type of evacuation, but it would take too long to explain. Also Ki Man: good observation on your part with the proximity censors, the only thing that I would add to that is it would take multiple failures to shut the ride down. Each "kill zone", as it is referred to, has about 4 to 6 censors (in some cases, the 4 to 6 censors have 2 censors each for back up). If a certain combination of censors are not in there normal state for operation at that time, it will "kill" the ride or engage the all stop. Last is a ? for Aaron, where did you find Consign's web site? They do not plaster there name in a lot of places, but they do incredible work and have a lot of creative people who work and contract for them. Just curious.

I don't know if this is the place to ask, but how windy does it have to be for DB to stop operating (if anyone knows)?

Yes people know, like maintenance (sp?), management, probably ride crews to an extent. But I don't know how windy it has to be. Also, the direction of the wind and the hieght in the atmosphere has to be taken into consideration. And wind gusts. Diamondback should run fine today.

B&Ms have a lot of proximities. Those are the things along the ride that tell the contorl system where the train is at all times. IF one were to fail, the system would lose control of the ride...that means there could be a train dropping off the lift and a train coming up to the MCBR, because the system didn't know where the other train was!

Solution? The ride shuts itself down to prevent a lot of things. I know that's one things I hear people talk about B&Ms and their down time.

At least, I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Also, Diamondback runs in the rain. Not a hard rain, just rain....and it shuts down when lightning/storms are in the area. It runs two trains in the rain, from what I've seen being there in the rain. Probably to give more space between the trains.

Didn't CF institute a mandatory ride closure policy on their coasters chainwide in the event of rain following the low speed collision on magnum a couple years ago? When I was at KD last weekend (before the monsoon hit) they shut down rebel yell north(running only one train all day) due to a very light rain.

You're correct regarding the proxies though because as part of the coaster's blocking system if even one burns out then the system has no way of detecting wether or not a train is present in the effected block so the ride shuts down automatically but in this instance IIRC a compressor on the MCBR failed & that's what caused the ride to be evacuated.....when the brakes fail due to such things as a loss in power or air pressure they default to the closed position to stop a train in the event of an emergency & require air pressure to release the calipers to allow the train to proceed.

^Kicker wheels do not guarantee that you will not get stuck at the top, the discussion was about an evacuation procedure if it were to get stuck at the top. Yes the kicker wheels will help if the train stopped at the top, but if the kicker wheels failed? Just remember: If it is mechanical, it WILL fail, that is why preventive maintenance is performed, to catch problems before they occur.