Little Things You Notice

coaster_junky

I noticed the little arcade near LaRosa's as well. We went in and I played a game of House of Dead II.

I noticed the train ride isn't as exciting as it was when I was little

I noticed the mirrors in FOF for the first time (yeah, i'm slow)

Also noticed inside of FOF, there is a boy in the alien pod with a t-shirt, watch and khaki shorts on

Noticed the 'free' locker area by the Viking Fury

I noticed a small Spongebob sticker inside of a bathroom stall in the Action Zone

I unfortunately noticed some of the bushes/flowers are not hand friendly on the rails leading to Flightdeck (got a nice finger prick and blood from that)

While in line for the Drop Zone, I noticed a concrete column where a light pole used to be

...The beautiful orange flowers while walking onto Congo Falls

...All of the termites flying around while in line for the Slingshot

Again, I'm slow...on my 13th ride in a row on Diamondback...I realized the track goes behind the Showplace

On one of the Monster's seats...I noticed someone took a swipe while painting with a paint brush

There is a wind gauge on the first hill of DB

I noticed a ladder stored under the metal floor of Delirium

I noticed the bullseye painted on the roof of Drop Zone's line area

Noticed a comb floating in the water of BLSC

Noticed the big gear above Flightdeck's first car that pulls you up the hill (this also dripped oil on me ;-/)

...The area in front of The Racer with Skyline on one side and some other food place on the other smells like vomit

The garbage cans smell REALLY bad in Rivertown

There's a glassblower dude in Glassworks..lol. I watched him make a camel. That guy is talented!

I love sitting on I-street near the fountain and looking at the buildings. I often wonder if anything is 'upstairs' and how cool it would be to look around up there.

That's all I'll add for now :)

Anyone ever notice that in the first turn out of The Beast's station, in the center of the turnaround there is an American Flag and at night they even keep it illuminated? I think it's a VERY nice touch!

I've noticed the flag, but Never noticed it being lit up.

------------

Ever notice on Diamondback's third hill look at Beast and you can actually see the farthest point of the ride if you look close enough. On Crypt, the stalactites are still on the ground behind the ride. The boombox in Diamondback transfer track shed. The crane that was under Top Guns overbanked turn last week is now next to Invertigo's queue line. On Adventure Express when you go through the helix like turn with the stone things, if it's at night there are green and red lights under the track that shine up and look really awesome!

^speaking of rides being planned before the park being purchaced by another company, does anyone on here that can tell, and will tell know if Diamondback was already thought of before the park was sold by paramount?

i tried my hardest to make my question "terpy proof"

Terpy, being nice, avoiding the obvious answer, and choosing his words very carefully. The consensus here, discussed in the Diamondback construction thread, is that the coaster, or one very much like it, was originally proposed by B & M and pitched to CBS/Paramount, who did not build it. It was Cedar Fair who had the guts, foresight and courage to build Diamondback, and to spend over 1/3 of their entire capital expenditures budget for the 2009 season doing it. It is highly doubtful such a coaster would have ever been built by the later day Paramount Parks under Viacom, and it certainly would NOT have been by CBS, who was primarily interested in selling the parks for the greatest amount of money possible.

A few things I noticed this weekend:

On Vortex, there is a small pedal on the back of each car (unload side) that allows the ride op to unlock all the restraints in that car. I'm assuming there's a similar feature on Adventure Express since there's a hole on the right side at the rear of each car and both rides were made by Arrow.

The statues on the final hill on Adventure Express still need some work... The first one on the right side as you're going up the hill was squeaking, and the right arm of the second one on that side didn't work.

It is impossible to unbuckle the shoulder harnesses on Firehawk when the train is in the reclining position (discovered this yesterday when we returned to the station)

The International Street funnel cake stand is the place to go if you want food loaded with calories - they offer fried Oreos (Oreos dipped in funnel cake batter, fried and topped with powdered sugar) and The Beast funnel cake (funnel cake topped with strawberries, whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup and powdered sugar).

The fried Oreos are incredibly tasty :)

The graffiti I saw at Flight of Fear several weeks ago has since been cleaned up

I've noticed that KI has a massive Carpenter Bee problem. I also noticed a couple of them mating on Friday

They REALLY need to do something about that. It's getting incredibly annoying, and I've seen more than one small child crying because one stung them.

Probably not a Carpenter Bee then, they aren't very aggressive and will only sting when really provoked.. Males don't even have a stinger.

Having ridden Diamondback 19 times this weekend, I noticed a couple of things on the right side of the first hill:

A safety sign along the stairs saying something about "In case of evacuation ..." with an arrow pointing towards the top of the hill.

A weather gizmo of some sort at the top of the hill.

The weather gizmo is most likely a wind gauge. It spins and tells the wind speed, so )presumably) Kings Island knows how strong the wind is 230 feet in the air, so they know if they need to start shutting down some rides.

There are Haunt props sitting right next to the red Racer (an ambulance, and several caskets).

Diamondback's chain lift has a small diesel engine for backup power (possibly not a generator, but rather a direct mechanical drive?).

The tops of the towers at the Peters Cartridge factory are quite visible from numerous places in the park.

I noticed that Flight of Fear's old trains are sitting behind Timberwolf and can be seen from SOB's lift hill. I had seen the trams before but never FOF's old cars.

FOF used to run with train 2 and 3. Now it is 1 and 3, so you must have saw train 2 sitting there. Train 1 still has the video stickers on them from a couple years ago. O and that building by timberwolf is the old monorail station, and is the site for steel coaster maintenance.

Diamondback has one stretch which is really rough, or subject to some sort of vibration. And the splashdown looks scummy compared to the nice blue-painted concrete depicted in the early renderings (see also the Fountain! c'mon, the splashdown needs to look like that!)

One more thing I noticed. There is a photo booth in front of the arcade near The Racer. On the front of it, it shows framing selections you can make....one of which is King Cobra.

And the other of which is Face/Off.

DB's splashdown REALLY needs to be cleaned. It's dirty, and the water reeks of vomit. I actually lean out of the way so the water doesn't splash on me...

Diamondback has one stretch which is really rough, or subject to some sort of vibration. And the splashdown looks scummy compared to the nice blue-painted concrete depicted in the early renderings (see also the Fountain! c'mon, the splashdown needs to look like that!)

its called trim brakes O:) lol

One more thing I noticed. There is a photo booth in front of the arcade near The Racer. On the front of it, it shows framing selections you can make....one of which is King Cobra.

And the other of which is Face/Off.

DB's splashdown REALLY needs to be cleaned. It's dirty, and the water reeks of vomit. I actually lean out of the way so the water doesn't splash on me...

i'm glad i'm not the only one... another spot is that sewer there by the flower clock... its horrid!

I noticed that Flight of Fear's old trains are sitting behind Timberwolf and can be seen from SOB's lift hill. I had seen the trams before but never FOF's old cars.

FOF used to run with train 2 and 3. Now it is 1 and 3, so you must have saw train 2 sitting there. Train 1 still has the video stickers on them from a couple years ago. O and that building by timberwolf is the old monorail station, and is the site for steel coaster maintenance.

Flight of Fear originally had four trains. However, it never operated with all four. When the trains were converted from over the shoulder restraints to lap bars, only three of the trains were converted. Some of the remains of the fourth, non converted train can be seen, as stated, by Timberwolf. There are a few cars also stored in the drum for Flight of Fear. Since Flight of Fear only operates with two trains, I believe that the third train that is not on the tracks gets rebuilt during the summer months, so that the maintenance guys only have to rebuild one Flight of Fear train every off season.

And that building next to Timberwolf is NOT the monorail station. It was the maintenance building for the monorail. The transfer track area was located where the old Flight of Fear cars are stored. The actual station for the monorail would be approximately where the On Location shop is located.

And on the subject of Diamondback`s splash down water. That water is recirculated,You can see one of the pumps and catch basins for the water in a corner of the splash down. I would presume that the water is chlorinated and/or treated. I have not noticed a "vomit" smell from the water, and I have ridden Diamondback several times. And yes, I know what a protein spill smells like, having witnessed (and had to clean) several at Coney throughout the years.

Regardless of being treated, the splashdown still looks undeniably scummy, especially when compared to the I-street fountain.

Other Little Things You Notice:

The corkscrew on Vortex visibly flexes when the train goes through it.

One third of Shake Rattle & Roll always starts spinning a lot sooner than the other two (yellow iirc).

On one of the red Racer trains, in the second-to-last seat, left side, there is a chunk of padding missing from the lapbar, with orange tape wrapped around it like a bandage.

Nice shiny new linings appear every now and then on various coaster station brakes.

The left-hand door for the banquet facility (near the restrooms right before the turnstiles as you enter the park) says "For more information", but does not include anything else telling guests where they can get more info.

At the end of the night, if the lights are left on in the restaurant area up there (which they often are), at the far left-hand side you can see what appears to be a place for photos to be taken (a weird pattern on the wall and some of those big umbrella light thingies commonly seen in photography studios).

its called trim brakes O:) lol

Not the part I'm referring to. I don't remember exactly where, but one of the hills after the hammerhead seems really rough. (or maybe there is a trim at the place I'm thinking of - I'm curious now, and I'll have to check next time!)

i'm glad i'm not the only one... another spot is that sewer there by the flower clock... its horrid!

Was that yesterday? I saw that... eww.

And on the subject of Diamondback`s splash down water. That water is recirculated,You can see one of the pumps and catch basins for the water in a corner of the splash down. I would presume that the water is chlorinated and/or treated. I have not noticed a "vomit" smell from the water, and I have ridden Diamondback several times. And yes, I know what a protein spill smells like, having witnessed (and had to clean) several at Coney throughout the years.

It seems to be worse some times than others.

Yesterday, I noticed the "Drop Zone" and "Top Gun" logos that you can see inside the building behind Diamondback's brake turn.

I noticed somthing. Next time you exit the crypt look all the way to the right and the old TR:TR photo booth is still standing, but its not even in use? I find this odd.

Of course it's not in use. No one wants to buy a picture of themself looking bored on a top spin ride that only spins twice... gently. They might as well put smaller seats and restrains on the Crypt and move it to Nick Universe. Someone had to say it! But if you mean that what you find odd is that the photo booth is still standing... probably because it would take time and money to remove it.

In the waterpark Snowy River Rampage stairs have been redone to be safer and the no slip surface stuff that used to hurt your feet has been replace with the Cedar Point blue nicer feeling blue non-slip surface that helps the feet out a lot.

I noticed that too. Now if they'd only replace the non-slip surface at Sydney Sidewinder with the blue stuff as well...

In the waterpark Snowy River Rampage stairs have been redone to be safer and the no slip surface stuff that used to hurt your feet has been replace with the Cedar Point blue nicer feeling blue non-slip surface that helps the feet out a lot.

YES!!!!!! I haven't been to Boomerang Bay for a while - to swim anyway. Snowy River Rampage is my favorite, and I always remember waiting in a line for it and having to stand on the rails or the edges of the walkways due to the really painful non-skid mat they had. Now my favorite waterpark ride will shine in that department too!

Flyer, who affectionately refers to that slide as "old whitey."