Little Things You Notice

coaster_junky

The corkscrew on Vortex visibly flexes when the train goes through it.

if you look close at every roller coaster you can see it visibly flex.

for example, watch the first drop of Diamondback after a train comes off of it, it sways. another example is when a train goes through the swoop turn at the top of Son of Beast's lift hill, you can see the track "give away" while the train is over it then bounce back after the train leaves.

TTD's flexibility is a little frightening to observe. Stand next to the Guess your Age booth near the bottom of it some time and just watch the track after a train goes over. It sways back and forth like a jump rope!

Son of Beast is an awesome coaster to just watch. Especially during the back-stage tour we got during RWW. You can see the whole first hill flex and sway as a train comes down it.

As to other things I've noticed. They need to clean the sewers out. Many of the storm drains are starting to reek of raw sewage. Especially the one behind Festhaus, near the water gun game and smoking area. It stinks from a considerable distance!

I noticed somthing. Next time you exit the crypt look all the way to the right and the old TR:TR photo booth is still standing, but its not even in use? I find this odd.

Of course it's not in use. No one wants to buy a picture of themself looking bored on a top spin ride that only spins twice... gently. They might as well put smaller seats and restrains on the Crypt and move it to Nick Universe. Someone had to say it! But if you mean that what you find odd is that the photo booth is still standing... probably because it would take time and money to remove it.

The weird thing is, they removed everything around it to make way for Diamondback. And if it wasn't even use then just do it while you still have the opportunity. Its probably going to come down at one point.

Diamondback has one stretch which is really rough, or subject to some sort of vibration. And the splashdown looks scummy compared to the nice blue-painted concrete depicted in the early renderings (see also the Fountain! c'mon, the splashdown needs to look like that!)

its called trim brakes O:) lol

Not the part I'm referring to. I don't remember exactly where, but one of the hills after the hammerhead seems really rough. (or maybe there is a trim at the place I'm thinking of - I'm curious now, and I'll have to check next time!)

I noticed what you're talking about...I think you mean the bottow of the helix...it is a little rough there.

Also, one of the little things I noticed was that the back of the season pass refers to Halloween Haunt as Fearfest.

One more thing. There are some footers on the left side of the train right as you go into the woodsy area. They're on a corner. Does anyone know why?

TTD's flexibility is a little frightening to observe. Stand next to the Guess your Age booth near the bottom of it some time and just watch the track after a train goes over. It sways back and forth like a jump rope!

Son of Beast is an awesome coaster to just watch. Especially during the back-stage tour we got during RWW. You can see the whole first hill flex and sway as a train comes down it.

i know, i was kinda in shock the first time i saw ttd sway like that, i knew roller coasters flexed a little, but never that much.

and i could stand in line and watch Son of Beast give when a train goes through the swoop turn, and even though it's not as noticeble with the lighter trains, the turn to the right after the drop used give atleast a good three feet every time a tree would go through it.

haha i thought it was interesting when i first went to Kings Island i thought that the Flight of Fear inside where the ufo is was a huge room and it was a fully round ufo. i thought this for many years until i discovered the mirrors. i think that was very clever of them haha how lame i know haha

I noticed what you're talking about...I think you mean the bottow of the helix...it is a little rough there.

I'm a little confused by how anyone can call any part of Diamondback "rough." Even if it's not perfectly smooth, I think "rough" is an exaggeration...to put it mildly. ;) Go ride Son of Beast, and then we'll talk about rough once you come out of the Rose Bowl helix.

I'm a little confused by how anyone can call any part of Diamondback "rough." Even if it's not perfectly smooth, I think "rough" is an exaggeration...to put it mildly. ;) Go ride Son of Beast, and then we'll talk about rough once you come out of the Rose Bowl helix.

I've had the unpleasant experience of riding Son of Beast, I know all about rough ;)

The rough spot on DB that I am talking about only lasts about one second. The train experiences a brief burst of some sort of harsh vibration, compared to the relative smoothness of the other 99% of the ride.

The rough spot on DB that I am talking about only lasts about one second. The train experiences a brief burst of some sort of harsh vibration, compared to the relative smoothness of the other 99% of the ride.

Harsh vibration, maybe...but can you really call it "rough"?

Harsh vibration, maybe...but can you really call it "rough"?

sigh... does it matter what word I used to describe it? :(

Also, one of the little things I noticed was that the back of the season pass refers to Halloween Haunt as Fearfest.

No it doesn't. It says "Not valid durinf FearFest". It's not called FearFest anymore.

I'm aware that its no longer Fearfest.

I also know that it says "Not valid during Fearfest." Hence the reason I said it is referred to as Fearfest....

It is with sadness I report something that I have not seen reported elsewhere. The eating area between Coney Mall's Skyline and the carousel always had neat, retro white glass globe lighting (Racer once had larger versions of these lights, as did Rebel Yell). Some of the globes were broken over the off-season, and they have all been removed, only to be replaced with what appear to be very inexpensive 4' strip florescent light fixtures from somewhere like Home Depot or Lowes, with two of the larger 40 watt florescent bulbs in each of them. Though the initial cost was no doubt low, the higher expense of running these fixtures, over time, will greatly exceed the initial savings many fold. And yet another remnant of early Kings Island is gone, probably forever.

On a similar note, more of the park's original gaslight fixtures have also been removed, especially on the trail from Diamondback to the Eiffel Tower (the one that passes the side of Backlot Stunt Coaster and the smoothie place that is seemingly never open...Paradise Island?)

A couple more things I noticed this past Sunday:

Those playing the basketball game along the path between Rivertown and Coney Mall can pay for it with Visa or Mastercard now (there's a sticker with the cards' logos on the side of the metal box where they stick the cash).

Several lights have been removed along the queue lines for BLSC and Delirium - look for concrete pads with plastic tubes sticking out of them.

I was under the impression that those were the QueTVs they removed, not lights.

There's a large concrete support post of some sort behind the ride op station at Zephyr. No clue what used to be there, but I'm sure someone else here can tell me what that's from :)

Im pretty sure thats a support from Flight Commander.

Flight Commander was much farther down Coney Mall than just to Zephyr. I'm not sure what that particular bit of concrete is, though.

Why I'm just now thinking to put this in this thread, who knows. Blue Racer has a red bin, while Red Racer has a blue bin and both sides have rails in the station that are painted red. The sides are also backward from the sign, but that has been pointed out on here numerous times.

Here's something that I consider terrifying. If you watch the track on Diamondback on the first drop between the two supports, it will give a little while the train is on it. That's not terrifying, the fact that the largest support shakes quite a bit after the train drops, that scares me.