Little Things You Notice

coaster_junky

you can say that again. the stop on there is soooo pointless.

No it's not

This isn't the thread for the argument, but I'm going to do it anyway.

It is completely pointless. The midcourse was turned off under Paramount. There is no midcourse even installed on the clone at Six Flags America. Therefore, that trim brake is completely unnecessary other than because Cedar Fair loves trim brakes.

Ok, I got that off my chest. I feel better now. :)

I was thinking they did that to increase capacity times or whatever. With the mid-course brake run , they can safely launch a train while another is still in the spaghetti bowl.

This afternoon I noticed that the line for Wild Thornberry had more people than the line for Diamondback - I kind of enjoyed a station wait for DB.

Oh BTW, I also noticed that since it was a station wait, they didn't assign seats - I think I hear tigellinus cheering :)

I just now noticed the waterfall going into DB's splashdown yesterday. I also never noticed the tiny arcade tucked back over by the LaRosa's in Rivertown. It's amazing what things you notice when you actually stop to look around.

I also noticed two girls smoking in a non smoking area on the bricks between the airbrush tattoo and Shake Rattle and Roll. An employee saw them and did nothing.

The airbrush people being concessionaire's had just as much right as you did to tell them to quit smoking. Its usually security, area/park managers, ecology, or the higher ups that actaully tell people to quit smoking. Mainly because teenagers are often timid when faced with the task I usually just tell them its a smoke free park and politely point them to the nearest smoking area :)

you can say that again. the stop on there is soooo pointless.

No it's not

This isn't the thread for the argument, but I'm going to do it anyway.

It is completely pointless. The midcourse was turned off under Paramount. There is no midcourse even installed on the clone at Six Flags America. Therefore, that trim brake is completely unnecessary other than because Cedar Fair loves trim brakes.

Ok, I got that off my chest. I feel better now. :)

Things change. As do mechanical parts. Maintenance issues come up as well. So realize that yes, it is necessary and not pointless. Also, while the two other Premiere LIM launched coasters at the Six Flags may appear identical to the naked eye, know that they are not.

I was thinking they did that to increase capacity times or whatever. With the mid-course brake run , they can safely launch a train while another is still in the spaghetti bowl.

Figuratively, you could do this with or without the midcourse on. As long as it is able to come on in a blocking situation if necessary, it can create a block between two sections of track. Some 'mid course' runs are not true MCBRs, such as Beast's brake shed, because the train would not be able to complete the course if it came to a complete stop at that point, so it does not create 2 separate blocks. As far as I'm aware, Flight of Fear's midcourse could create an additional block in the spaghetti bowl, but I have never once seen two trains inside it at once so I'm assuming it is not set up that way.

AZ guy - in what way are they so different that one model (run by Cedar Fair) must come to a complete stop on the MCBR and the other (run by Six Flags) doesn't even have a MCBR installed? They are identical layouts, heights, speed, etc. As far as I'm aware, the only differences in the two is the setup of the station (Flight of Fear has separate load/unload platforms, Joker's Jinx utilizes only one platform for both) and possibly the length or curve of the turnaround at the end of the course into the station. Also, kindly explain how these mechanical issues or maintenance issues mysteriously came to be the same year Cedar Fair took over operation from Paramount, who ran the ride without the complete stop on the MCBR.

Today, I noticed:

-Orange bars on the bottom of the the trains on Dimaondback (one bar under every seat). Are they used to manually release seats?

-There is a wench (sp?) on one of the tan poles holding up the net under DB's first drop. They lower that corner so the stuff can be gotten out of the nets.

-The safety rider guides at the entrance to every ride are just stickers, not actually printed on the signs (I noticed this while waiting for The Beast). One corner was lifted a little, so I pulled it a little more because I was curious (I pressed it back down, though).

-The scrolling sign outside of the park (By the motorcycle parking) got a new sign in it. One part is blank, and the other advertises The Country Line.

-While riding AE, it is starting to smell more and more like sewage.

-BLSC 'splashdown pond' looked really clean today (as can be seen in a picture in Tomkatt's PTR).

-Diamondback's splashdown didn't took too icky today, except for the shallow side closest to BLSC.

-Potato Works has really good chicken bites.

-Dimaondback's fence at the bottom of the first set of stairs is really scratched.

-The "Restricted Area" signs in Diamondback's line look like they have been bleached (really faded)

-Security can be really slow when responding to fights (there was a fight in Diamondback's line today. No one was hurt, but it did make one of the fighter's [presumable] daughter really sad). Everyone wanted to see it (I heard a couple rides ops talking afterwards about how they missed it :lol:).

-Dimaondback's crew takes 'mood swings'. When in line at one point, the trains would get to the support second from the top of the lift and then the trains before it would get to the brake run. Ten minutes later, the train on the tracks would be in the brake run when the next train was just starting up the hill.

-Dimaondback's crew was really happy that the park closed early tonight.

I think that is enough for now.. I know there were a couple more that I wanted to post, but I now forget.

There was a VERY large pink elephant on the ground at the bottom of flight decks first drop today.

I couldn't help but wonder how it got there? It seemed way to big for someone to try to ride with it.

Or for someone to be allowed to ride with it, but if it didn't fly off a car, then I have no idea how it could have got to where it was laying.

I'm sure it caused a few good comment from guests as to how it got there, I was just to dumbstruck to think of anything!

Wow, Missed the fight. I can't believe people can get that upset at a place that is all about fun?

We also saw, from a distance, a kid that was either scared to death, or hurt from his ride on The Beast.

We waited a long time on the brake run, and after awhile, noticed that the 3rd train was sitting right behind us. We were looking around, and saw a lot of commotion in the station but couldn't really see what was happening.

When we got back, and exited the ride, my wife was waiting there for us. She couldn't tell what happened either, but she did see a little kid being carried off the ride by his father,(presumably, it was an adult male)

He was crying, and holding his hand up to his ear.

I think about that stuff a lot. I hope he was just scared, I would hate the thought of a kid that little getting hurt on a ride.

I am one of those softies that hates to see a kid crying for any reason. I hope he is OK. I am thinking that if he was injured, that the dad would keep him there until a medic could see him. Hoping that anyways.

DiamondbackFOF, you must not have been very far ahead of us in line. We didn't see the fight happen (we were standing under the lift at the time) but saw the masses of security, park police, and supervisors from both security and rides running down the SRL.

DiamondbackFOF, you must not have been very far ahead of us in line. We didn't see the fight happen (we were standing under the lift at the time) but saw the masses of security, park police, and supervisors from both security and rides running down the SRL.

I had just been given a row (Row 1). There were 2 or 3 groups in front of me for row 1. The thing is, I even looked over the side of the railing on the side of the station and looked at the people below :lol:. I didn't even see you.

Also, Tomkatt, the fight was around 7:15-ish, so you had already left.

I am not very observant. Walking by one of the store fronts on my way out Sunday, I noticed a model roller coaster in the window.

I stopped and looked, and thought I was looking at Firehawk. It was yellow and black though.

Is this the original model for X-Flight? Like the one they had on display for Diamondback last year?

Or is it just a model roller coaster kit, like an erector set?

LOL

Just wondering.

I noticed that earlier this year! When we rode on the side where your back is to the lake, I remember you could see the tires when you went all the way up. Now they stay covered.

The tires were still visible when I rode it two weeks ago...

And I agree that the screaming competition is half the fun of that ride :)

There's a new Bank A Ball game by DB's final helix. The girl working there last weekend asked my kids if they wanted to win their Mom a big prize for Mother's Day. I had to say "DON'T!!! DON'T!!! DON'T" before they told her that their Mother is dead. (which, in fact, is true). Didn't want to give that poor girl a complex so early in the season!!!

The smoking area near DB's entrance has been removed.

BLSC has a LOT of rust!

The effects in the last tunnel of AE aren't working. Guess I won't pay this year.... unless I eat at the park! LOL!!!!

They are some times

The menu boards in Rivertown Larosas changed from actual menu boards to LCD TV's. I've seen these throughout the park as well the entire season.

I find it to be a bit saddening to find that, while the country is in a recession and Kings Island has been cutting back on hours from several departments (notably Security), they have somehow found the need to buy flat-screen LCD TVs for use as virtual menu boards for their restaurants. :mellow:

It would be a different story if the other rides replaced the old QTV monitors with new LCD screens like the ones on Diamondback (Beast and FOF particularly). But with the high prices and less-than-stellar food service, the absolute LAST thing I would expect to see in an eatery where the cans are overflowing, the tables are dirty/sticky, trash is on the ground, and the food associates supposedly in charge of maintaining their "patio" goofing around in the kitchen (in plain view of the guests, no doubt), is a fancy-schmancy new TV screen with the menu on it in eye-catching font. <_<

Guest TombraiderTy

^Unless I'm mistaken, the Club Blood sign has just been laid over-top of the Son of Beast sign every year... I don't have a photo as proof, but that's what I remember (and quite honestly, what would make sense)