Parking at the Gold Lot

hamoperator

The first two days of the season were grim parking in the Gold/Platinum lot; we watched as an attendant sat in the tower on day one and didn't check the passes; But after day 3 the attendants have been very aggressive on checking passes, getting right to the drivers windows....

The Highest KUDOS B) out to you attendants being aggressive about it... It might seem like a pain asking us for our passes, but we do appreciate your work...

Yeah I've noticed last year that on most days there wasn't even an attendant, so anyone could park in there. Then other days they would just hold up a piece of paper that read show pass. so at times it's like I don't even need to show a pass to get in.

I have yet to show my pass to park there this year. I've only seen an attendant there once and she wasn't even paying attention to the cars coming in or out. IMO, they need to either always enforce it or not bother having it. If they aren't going to have an attendant there, they need to open the side entrances so you have more than one way in and out. If they're going to have an attendant there, they need to be checking passes or they might as well put that person somewhere else so that an additional toll lane or admission booth can be open.

I'm wondering if the lack of attendants at the gold pass lot are due to staffing issues. Considering I saw security personnel operating 2 different rides yesterday, as well as many volunteer workers, and even a sweep checking bars on Flight of Fear, I believe that is very likely. Maybe as the season progresses we'll see it enforced more often.

• Like 1

That's not a stupid question. After you enter through the parking lot entrance booths area, you go straight s little bit and you turn left like you have to now. Then you keep going straight and if you look to the left, you will see a big gold sign with big black letters that says "Gold Pass Parking", or something to that effect, I think. You will turn left and then ater about 30 feet, there will be a booth and you turn to the right, and .... voila. You made it. I know, these probably are confusing, maybe somebody can explain it better.

I have yet to show my pass to park there this year. I've only seen an attendant there once and she wasn't even paying attention to the cars coming in or out.

I guess it must depend upon what time of the day you show up. I've had to show my pass to an attendant every time I've been this year (including opening day, last weekend, and yesterday) and have seen cars being turned around by the attendant twice. Now I'm not there all day, so it might be inconsistent, but I've also been able to find good parking in there no matter what time I arrive.

i ditto whomever said it could be staffing issues.. although there were attendants when i went both times (opening day and this past friday) if they werent there, staffing would probably be it. i also saw security personnel checking seats and whatnot along with the fact many rides and places like arcades and eateries were not even open, simply because they didnt have enough staff, especially for the fridays...

The gold pass lot is on the south side of the big sign and former tram track. To get to it from the south, you turn left almost immediately after entering the parking lot from the toll plaza. To get to it from the north entrance, you go down the entrance road until you reach the south half of the lot. Handicap will be on your left, gold pass parking on your right, it's blocked off by short white pillars. At the end of those pillars, make a right, and you will see an entrance booth about halfway down the row.

passparking.jpg

It would honestly depend who you get out there.

That job is incredibly boring and most of the employees are apathetic teenagers.

What they really need is a scanner and raising bar that will only let gold and platinum pass holders into that lot.

Won't happen. Yahoos in large SUV's with battering rams on the front would just drive through said bar. Seen it happen other places, I doubt KI would be any different.

It might be a deterrent. A lot of the people that come to KI would be angered though.

And a ton of people already just ignore the attendant at gold pass and drive right by. Is the attendant supposed to chase them down? There is no phone out there to call security either, not that it would really even help as security never does anything when things like that happen at tolls (drivebys without paying even when the car is in plain sight).

That's not a stupid question. After you enter through the parking lot entrance booths area, you go straight s little bit and you turn left like you have to now. Then you keep going straight and if you look to the left, you will see a big gold sign with big black letters that says "Gold Pass Parking", or something to that effect, I think. You will turn left and then ater about 30 feet, there will be a booth and you turn to the right, and .... voila. You made it. I know, these probably are confusing, maybe somebody can explain it better.

wouldn't it be a right then a left :huh: ?

the card swiper/scanner could possibly malfunction... like a lot of the other computer equipment there. there would still need to be an attendant there encase of those malfunctions... then the scanner would probably be a waste.

• Like 1

The best option would be to add a couple of gates like they have in parking garages. This would prevent people from flying past the attendant and it would require the attendant to actually pay attention - once they verify that the guests have a pass, they just press a button to open the gate. Granted, these gates can malfunction, but it doesn't happen that often.

People could still cheat the system if they tried hard enough, but it wouldn't be that likely, and trying to fly through the gate would cause major damage to their car.

Well I even remember last year, during the summer there wasn't anyone there checking pass's for the lot. I think they need to do away with that, if they don't have one checking pass, and or letting anyone in then there doesn't need to be a lot blocked off with white polls.

• Like 1

Someone was out there checking passes today.

I'm also surprised that there isn't a phone out there, especially if KI still has a policy of employees not being allowed to have cell phones...

And at tolls they don't really have numbers for employees to use to call for help. People have been forgotten at gold pass booth.

• Like 1

Someone was out there checking passes today.

I'm also surprised that there isn't a phone out there, especially if KI still has a policy of employees not being allowed to have cell phones...

And at tolls they don't really have numbers for employees to use to call for help. People have been forgotten at gold pass booth.

Employees have always been advised on the phone numbers to call for assistance. There is a specific number for information and if an emergency they can call 911 from any phone in the park, which ALL employees know.

wouldn't it be a right then a left :huh: ?

No, I wrote it correctly based on where we come from.

Also, yes, you do turn to the right to where the front of your car is facing into the gold pass parking lot.

Wouldn't it depend on whether you came in the North or South tolls? (though most do enter the South, and the North is often not even open...)

I don't know which tolls we come from. We get off of I-71 north bound at the Western Row Rd. exit, go straight through a traffic light (there's a Sunoco to the right a little ways down). Then enter throught the first set of toll booths.

I'm wondering if the lack of attendants at the gold pass lot are due to staffing issues. Considering I saw security personnel operating 2 different rides yesterday, as well as many volunteer workers, and even a sweep checking bars on Flight of Fear, I believe that is very likely. Maybe as the season progresses we'll see it enforced more often.

I'm guessing you are referring to Friday when the park was open all day. Yes these days are extremely difficult to staff because just about everyone is still in school. The rides department usually gets people from other departments to help run rides until their staff can come in (usually around 3 or 4).

• Like 1