Kings Island's 5K Question

HTCO

I am on my school's track team currently(ends a week from Monday) and XC team during the summer. I want to participate in the 5K at KI, but I have a few questions about edgiblity. If I am on a running team of any sort, can I still run. Because I know some running events don't allow it (ex: flying pig marathon). And am I old enough to run the 5K?(14-15). Your answers are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

First off, call the park to get a definite answer.

Official website for more information: http://www.visitkingsisland.com/special/run/index.html

10K and 5K awards are based on following categories: 11 - 14, 15 - 19, 20 - 29, 30 - 39, 40 - 49, 50 - 59, 60 - 69, 70

So yes, you're old enough for the 5k.

I skimmed through the waiver that you must agree to and I didn't see anything that said you couldn't participate if you're part of a running team. On a side note, I didn't know that some events don't allow people to participate if they're on a running team.

Hope this helps. If the entry fee wasn't so much I would do the 5k. IDK, maybe I still will.

I have been waiting for the race maps to show up on the website, still nothing.

As mentioned the kids fun run goes through Nick U, I would imagine sice the 5k is the Diamondback 5k it probably intertwines with the Diamondback track and probably goes back the construction road, and I would imagine that The Beast 10k follows The Beast construction roads at some point. Just a few thoughts.

I am on my school's track team currently(ends a week from Monday) and XC team during the summer. I want to participate in the 5K at KI, but I have a few questions about edgiblity. If I am on a running team of any sort, can I still run. Because I know some running events don't allow it (ex: flying pig marathon). Your answers are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

As a former track and cross country coach in Ohio I think I can answer this one. While the OHSAA will allow you, since coaching officially begins on the 10th, I highly doubt your coach would want you running a road race during training. So in this instance it would be best to check with the coach and not the park.

2009 OHSAA Cross Country Calendar

Aug. 10 First Day of Coaching

Aug. 24 Season Begins

Sept. 21 Non-Interscholastic Competition No Longer Permitted

Oct. 11 District Tournament Draw

Oct. 24 District Tournament

Oct. 31 Regional Tournament

Nov. 7 State Tournament

Nov. 7 Season Ends

5.3) Road racing is interpreted as a different sport than cross country. If the entire race

is run on a road, participation is not a violation of the non-interscholastic competition

bylaw.

I think there are more than a few folk from the site going to participate. I and the BF are doing the 10K walk (our knees are feeling older than what we want to admit!). :rolleyes:

I have also seen other runs at different parks. Some for charity, some not. They all look like fun.