Hand stamps

gigacoaster2k

At the exit, we got our hands stamped when we went out to our cars. A few hours later, Ash's stamp had rubbed completely off so she needed a re-stamp the second time. Mine completely came off when I washed my hands in the restroom.

Last year I saw that Cedar Point's hand stamps are waterproof (that way if you want to hit Soak City, or exit the park and go parasailing or jet skiing, then come back, your stamp won't wash off). It took almost 4 days for last year's CP hand stamp to completely disappear from my skin.

I think waterproof hand stamps are sensible, especially during hot weather. This way if you want to ride some water rides, wash your hands, use hand sanitizer, apply sunblock, get sweaty, etc.. your stamp stays and you won't need to worry about getting it re-stamped 5 or 6 times during your day.

• Like 1

dont they show these under a light that will detectit even if you cant see it normally? i can vaguely remember 2 years ago i did this, and my stamp dissappeared as we went out to taco bell and came back, but under the light you could still see it quite well.

They aren't using the blacklight reactive ink this year. Friday it was just an orange ink stamp. Mine almost came off when I washed my hands outside the park. The person checking it stared at it for a while before deciding I was clear to re-enter.

And the inside of the cuff on my white hoodie now has traces of orange on it.

• Like 1

For people with Season Passes, could they just skip the hand stamp and leave the park, then re-enter using their pass (as if it were the first time they were entering the park that day)? Or, is there a limit to the number of times your pass can be scanned for a day?

Seems like it would be less of a pain, as opposed to dealing with ink that seems to wash away too easily, or rub off on shirt sleeves and stain clothing.

• Like 1

this is interesting, that they do not use the same ink as before. i remember it was that invisible ink, it was a green smiley face... i have a feeling this will be an issue, as there are more than just a few people that leave and go get some food then come back to the park nowadays....

• Like 1

They haven't used the black lights or so-called invisible ink for some time now...but the ink they are using this year is far more water soluble. If you noticed, the re-entry line has been missing for at least a year...

They used the invisible ink and blacklight last season.

You can only scan your pass once to get into the park. Why is that?

If they allowed it to be scanned more than once someone who looked similar to the person the pass belonged to (a twin or sibling for example) could be handed the pass somehow and get into the park on that pass.

If you DO get a stamp and it washes off go to guest relations and they will let you into the park after scanning your pass to confirm it is you. They cannot do that at the front gate because a red X appears.

...which is only an option for those who got in on a season pass or still have their ticket media. The park needs a less water soluble solution for the handstamp. Really.

That's why everyone should keep their tickets. ;)

Handstamps are common at MOST amusement/theme parks in this country. They had a sponge dipped in ink when I went to Disneyland this past year. I believe Disney also tried a fingerprint type system that got abandoned because it had too many errors.

You can only scan your pass once to get into the park. Why is that?

If they allowed it to be scanned more than once someone who looked similar to the person the pass belonged to (a twin or sibling for example) could be handed the pass somehow and get into the park on that pass.

If you DO get a stamp and it washes off go to guest relations and they will let you into the park after scanning your pass to confirm it is you. They cannot do that at the front gate because a red X appears.

I had that problen three years ago. I took my kids on a Saturday in October. Then they spent the night with my parents and my girlfriend at the time wanted to go to the Haunt (Fear Fest at the time). As I remember I just went to GR, they looked up my information, I showed my license and they let me in. It was fast and easy.

• Like 1

Ahhhh... customer service (?) at its best. Lets make it as absolutely inconvenient as humanly possible for returning guests to re-enter the park. I get it now, its a mousetrap way to keep in park per-caps up. IM sorry but give me a break, this whole system isthe equivalent to an alarm system on a car. Those who are TRULY intent on circumventing the system, will.

• Like 1

But what about someone who bought a general admission ticket? What happens when theirs washes off? If they are worried about fraud with season pass holders, you have to assume they are with GP as well.

EDIT: Sorry....this question was posted by someone else while I was writing....:)

• Like 1

IF they still have their ticket stub, they can get back in. If they do not, it all depends on how nice/persistent they are....And all this could be avoided by the use of a more persistent ink. Really...how difficult is this?

Remember, too...there is now no re-entry during Haunt...unless the rules have changed since last year.

But what about someone who bought a general admission ticket? What happens when theirs washes off? If they are worried about fraud with season pass holders, you have to assume they are with GP as well.

With a general admission ticket it's the honor system, I presume. They scan the ticket and make sure that it was used on that date.

The hand stamps are put on a different hand each day so people can't reenter on a stamp from a previous day. Also, the numbers change every day. They may be changing the colors now as well.

Some people also get the ink stamped onto the underside of their forearm or wrist. This makes for less chance of it being washed off from frequent hand washing.

Some people have their tickets stamped, though that is not very good as anyone could hand it to anyone.

What difference does it make? You can't see what they stamp in as little as an hour in most cases...

Also, they do not change the wrist bands color or position for Pay One Price and Drink All Day for $9.99....

Well, what other method do you suggest? Like I said, major amusement parks in this country have little options. Disney does this as well. It's not just KI and until other major parks start changing their system to something more efficient and cheap, I don't see the general method for re entry changing.

ETA: About the wristband thing. Disney has cups that they can refill for the whole trip for $13. People bring those down over and over and they stillr refill them. I don't think soft drinks are a huge concern to parks because they make a TON of money off of them. It costs mere fractions of a penny to fill one of those cups. They make a ton of money off of them and they probably figure MOST people aren't going to cheat the system so they feel OK with it.

They will NOT stamp your hand anywhere but the designated location. And all parts of the human body perspire... Why be an apologist for a park that is using an ink that is not sufficient for its intended use? Are you a Cedar Fair PR person? Full disclosure if this is the case would be nice...

They will NOT stamp your hand anywhere but the designated location. And all parts of the human body perspire... Why be an apologist for a park that is using an ink that is not sufficient for its intended use? Are you a Cedar Fair PR person? Full disclosure if this is the case would be nice...

You've obviously not worked in the handstamping area. I have. If there is a reason for it and they explain why they WILL stamp elsewhere. People explain that they are going back to the hotel to swim, could their ticket and arm both be stamped. What about people who have broken arms and are casted up? They have to be stamped elsewhere.

I'm not apologizing for them. I am telling you there are no good alternatives. Like I said, what do YOU suggest?

Your assumption is not correct. I have worked re-entry at one of the largest parks in America within the past year. And we used an ink that does not almost immediately disappear. My experience at Kings Island's gate on opening weekend when I requested that they stamp me elsewhere led me to my comment that they refuse so to do, as they did. And I see you did not answer my question. Thank you.

Your assumption is not correct. I have worked re-entry at one of the largest parks in America within the past year. And we used an ink that does not almost immediately disappear. My experience at Kings Island's gate on opening weekend when I requested that they stamp me elsewhere led me to my comment that they refuse so to do, as they did. And I see you did not answer my question. Thank you.

I'm not a PR person for them. I never would be.