Conquering your fears

KIBOB

I just thought about asking this, and it is have you ever been terified of coasters but got over it? This is kind of personal but although I am a big fan of KI and always have been since i was little, I was always terrified of coasters. Not the height (heights dont bug me, i love being at the top of the Eiffel Tower) nor the speed, but the drops. I used to hate the feeling in your stomach while going down drops. This was due in particular to me experiencing this on FOC (The Beastie) when i was little. Before this season, the two biggest coasters that i would ride would be The Racer and Flight Deck. However, last weekend me and my friends went to KI and they decided that they wanted to ride Beast I was weary at first but then i decided "enough is enough" i took a deep breath, got into the que, got on the train, and i ended up loving the ride. I was actually sweating going up the first lift:-). Anyways, after getting off The Beast, I was so happy to where i actually rode Firehawk, loved that to. Lastly i got on DB and all I can say is that it is an amazing experience. I am proud that in just one night i went from being limited to the mild coasters to the top thrill machines. So has anyone else had this situation before, and faced it head on? This has really opened the park up a lot more to me. Just thought i would share that.

I was terrified of coasters as a child. I was afraid of the noise. Beastie scared me because it was loud. I refused to be the chicken when I was 10 and all my friends were going on it, so I got on it - and loved it. That ride started my love of coasters and you haven't been able to keep me away ever since.

For a long time I was riding King Cobra and pretty much everything at KI except Vortex because of the drop. But one day I just told myself that everyone riding it was coming off safely, so I would be fine. My poor mom has motion sickness and she was awesome enough to ride it with me for my first time. God bless her haha. Ever since I've yet to be scared to get on a roller coaster.

I did ride's coaster before 2001, but always had bit of fear. Then came my first visit to Cedar Point, after working up to it and riding Millennium Force, I lost all my fear. Heights are not a problem for me anymore. ;)

Pretty much the same story here. I was 11 years old, and never thought I would ever ride roller coasters. I went to Cedar Point with a friend, who also didn't like roller coasters. He and I, though decided we would try going on the Gemini. We both loved it, and decided we would try the Magnum. Well, I loved the Magnum too. I was a little too unsure about Millennium though. I looked at the drop and was sort of afraid. My mom, however told me that it was time to leave, so I didn't have to ride that day. We were back in the park the next day, and I would not ride it. My parents kept trying to persuade me to ride it but I would not budge. After riding Magnum all day, it was getting close to closing time, and then I thought I might want to ride. So I told my dad to take me over there, and we got in line. I got on the Millennium and rode it for the first time(in the night too) and I loved it. Now I will try any coaster I come across. :lol:

When I was really young, we'd only go to KI once a year at best. Just to see the bigger coasters (then just The Beast and The Racer) scared the snot out of me. I didn't want to even get close to them because I thought that I'd end up in the line by mistake and not be able to get out. I rode The Beastie, but the drop on that was even a bit much.

Then we went a few years without going, and then finally went when I was in 6th or 7th grade. I knew that I would be really lame if I couldn't ride them at such an old age-and I didn't want to waste the opportunity. That day I rode The Racer, The Beast, Vortex, and Cobra, and was totally hooked on coasters. Since then, I haven't found one that I won't ride.

Roller Coasters are something that you can easily conquer. When i was little i used to be scared of the bigger coasters but when i got older i kind of just went with the flow and i really enjoyed them. Now i love riding coasters and i fear none. I have a little fear of heights so when i first rode X-Treme Skyflyer i was terrified and i did not want to ride it at all but i swallowed my pride and got on. Sure enough i had a blast and i love to ride it all the time. Most of the things you fear of doing are the most fun things in life. Plus how will you ever know if you are to afraid to try them a couple of times.

I use to ride rides like Tornado at Strickers Grove, The Beastie, And Reptar with no problem but then my mom and brother took me on Beast and I was scared like no other. After that ride I was scared of roller coasters and didn't ride one for a year. Then two years ago I went to Kings Island with my mom and brother again and rode Beast again and loved it. I was still afraid of heights before riding Diamondback this year. Now I will ride any roller coaster.

I am now a Ride Warrior!!!!

I would never ride Slingshot, Sky Flyer or Drop Tower.. I was dragged on scared to death last weekend, BUT I LOVED IT :D

I still feel slightly uncomfortable when riding all three of them (And I still don't have the guts to pull the ripcord on Sky Flyer) but they're all great rides.

My sister used to love thrill rides, including coasters, when we were kids. Now she cannot stand them because she gets motion sickness while I have never outgrown my love of coasters.

Everyone must understand that coasters are not for everyone. I think it is wrong to shame anyone into going on something when they are terrified as there can be serious health consequences. About 16 years ago when I was at CP, medics had to treat a woman who fainted on Magnum- despite her terror her group teased her into riding.

Please remember to be considerate of others physical and mental limitations when it comes to riding thrill rides.

I remember when I was little, I was a mini-ride-warrior. I would ride anything at Kings Island really. A slightly younger Trooper Mom had to pull me off The Vortex when I first rode it.

But there have been times I have been scared. I remember when my brother and his cousin twice removed (Or something like that) came to Kings Island and they rode everything in Hanna Barbera Land. I, at about 8, wanted to ride more, so my cousin first removed (Or something like that) said she'd ride with me. I wanted to ride Son of Beast, but I took one look at the lift hill and I said, "Let's Ride Beast instead."

When I first rode Top Thrill Dragster. You can watch a billion youtube videos, watch it a dozen times as a spectator, but when your sitting there, the starting lights going off, it's scary. I had a panic attack! At least I think I did........

But when it comes to conquering your coaster fears, I've always thought that the best way is to face them head on. You'll always feel better once you know you can do it.

I was in eighth grade before I ever rode any coasters, and that was when I rode Gemini at Cedar Point. I was terrified of heights and my one friend used this to get me on it...He told me that Gemini was only 50 ft tall...so I got on. I quickly realized that my friend had conned me into ridding it and was fit to strangle him, but by the time we had pulled into the station I wanted to ride it again and again. Ever since I have been in love with coasters. :lol:

I used to hate the feeling in your stomach while going down drops. This was due in particular to me experiencing this on FOC (The Beastie) when i was little. Before this season, the two biggest coasters that i would ride would be The Racer and Flight Deck. However, last weekend me and my friends went to KI and they decided that they wanted to ride Beast I was weary at first but then i decided "enough is enough" i took a deep breath, got into the que, got on the train, and i ended up loving the ride. I was actually sweating going up the first lift:-). Anyways, after getting off The Beast, I was so happy to where i actually rode Firehawk, loved that to. Lastly i got on DB and all I can say is that it is an amazing experience. I am proud that in just one night i went from being limited to the mild coasters to the top thrill machines.

Wow, I would've never guessed that, but I wouldn't know because I don't know you :lol: . I'm glad you're finally riding the "big stuff." Wait, since the beginning of the season you've been to Cedar Point and ridden Top Thrill Dragster :P ? Wow, CP isn't even open yet. I love that feeling in my stomach on the drops, although I never really get it anymore :( . I miss it.

Edit: The only coaster I don't EVER ride or rode is Son of Beast. It isn't that it scares me, but I don't want to get the crap beat out of me.

Every single time before I ride a huge ride (excluding Diamondback) for the first time like Slingshot, Skyflyer, TTD, Insanity, X-Scream, Big Shot, New York-New York rollercoaster, I've been completely terrified. However, these rides that I have listed above are some of my favorite rides of all time. But after the Stratosphere Tower rides in Vegas, I don't think I'll ever be scared of anything again. Anyway, I used to be afraid of The Beast. I would ride it, but get off crying. After Son of Beast though, I got over it and rode everything at KI that I was tall enough for.

Drop Zone my first time when I was just barley tall enough to ride. I was terrified but loved it and bragged to all of my friends. :P

The Big Shot on top of the Stratosphere tower in Vegas was terrifying but had some incredible views at night.

Also Kingda Ka looked very scary.

But roller coasters don't scare me so I obviously love all of these now.

Drop Zone my first time when I was just barley tall enough to ride. I was terrified but loved it and bragged to all of my friends. :P

The Big Shot on top of the Stratosphere tower in Vegas was terrifying but had some incredible views at night.

Also Kingda Ka looked very scary.

But roller coasters don't scare me so I obviously love all of these now.

wasn't big shot amazing? well, i mean, all of them were. Did you ride x-scream or insanity?

I was great with them when I was little, hated them around mid-elementary school and then started loving them again by middle school! The Vortex on an empty day is what got me started, I rode it once, terrified, and then later that day I would ride it 12 more times!

I would never ride Slingshot, Sky Flyer or Drop Tower.. I was dragged on scared to death last weekend, BUT I LOVED IT :D

I still feel slightly uncomfortable when riding all three of them (And I still don't have the guts to pull the ripcord on Sky Flyer) but they're all great rides.

Hah. Me and my friend wouldnt pull the cord or wed both kill each other.. But this weekend, i get the pleasure of pulling the ripcord.. I dont know how this is going ot work out hah!

I hear that the High Roller wasn't that much fun. no major hills or drops, just a good view.

High Roller was a boring ride around the top of stratosphere, but the views were incredible. Big Shot was on the other hand an incredible rush of adrenaline along with the incredible view and the most surreal feeling of weightlessness that high above the earth you can imagine.

Back on topic - fear is a funny thing. The queasiest feeling I get in my stomach at KI is on top of the Eiffel Tower. SoB, DB, Beast, Millenium Force - no problem, Tower - can we go down now!