Conquering your fears

KIBOB

I hear that the High Roller wasn't that much fun. no major hills or drops, just a good view.

High Roller was a boring ride around the top of stratosphere, but the views were incredible. Big Shot was on the other hand an incredible rush of adrenaline along with the incredible view and the most surreal feeling of weightlessness that high above the earth you can imagine.

Back on topic - fear is a funny thing. The queasiest feeling I get in my stomach at KI is on top of the Eiffel Tower. SoB, DB, Beast, Millenium Force - no problem, Tower - can we go down now!

ill start a topic about stratosphere in the other parks section

• 2 weeks later...
I was terrified of coasters as a child. I was afraid of the noise. Beastie scared me because it was loud. I refused to be the chicken when I was 10 and all my friends were going on it, so I got on it - and loved it. That ride started my love of coasters and you haven't been able to keep me away ever since.

Seems like a few of us have had negative childhood experiences on Beastie/Ghoster coaster,which when we think of it today is tame compared to the bigger coasters we've since grown not to fear,but to enjoy....case in point was me at the age of 8 being dragged onto KD's version by my mom & hating the whole experience swearing off coasters for good as a result that is until a 1989 trip to SFA(then wild world) & a ride on wild one changed all of that forever.

Now whenever I'm in the park I spend more time riding the coasters than anything else...although I'll stop & hit a flat here & there to even things out.

I was never scared of riding coasters, my parents are coaster lovers already and I was one of those kids crying in the kiddy corral while my parents rode. First looping coaster was Screamin Demon when I was 6. First time ever at KI I was only 2 months old, born in 1979 and my dad waited to ride Beast until my mom was able to ride. I'll be 30 tomorrow.

Long live The Beast 30 years and still going strong!!!

I know what you mean I used to be extremely scared of coasters due to a trama I had when I was little. It was the same thing I didn't like the feeling I'd get when it first went down. Now I love coasters It took get back on The Beast to conquer my fear. Now I'm working my way up to bigger coasters.

well for me, I have been terrified of coasters and all of the extreme thrill rides up until last year. I was just like, you know what, all my life i have been terrified to ride all of these rides, mainly cause of that feeling you get in the stomach, I couldnt stand it what so ever but figured if I ride the rides enough that feeling would go away. so to start off I ended up getting on top gun, loved it, then went to fof and Vortex...and this year (since i didnt get time last year to ride it) Firehawk. i was so nervous to ride that and once I rode it i was like that was it??? that wasnt bad at all what so ever. I even forced myself to get on Diamondback at the first chance i got and rode it two times and loved it....it still makes me nervous cause im terrified of heights but love it. the only thing i dont do is wooden coasters cause they kill my back...but everything else except for face off/Invertigo, i have ridden and loved. I havent had the chance yet to ride face off...but that will prolly change sometime this year...but i wont try drop zone, skyflyer and slingshot mainly cause i hate the feeling of falling...for some reason it seems a little different on coasters and doesnt bother me which i dont quite understand but oh well lol..so yea, I have been a coaster junkie since last year now i pretty much just say bring it on and i will try it...kind of suprising to take such a huge leap in just a year for me but hey, at least im not afraid anymore :P

A couple of years ago...you couldn't even get me on a roller coaster. That all changed when I was down at Walt Disney World in 2007 and I went on Rock N' Roller Coaster. That ride was awesome and I haven't hesitated about going on a single roller coaster since.

WOO-HOO! POST #100!

I really enjoy reading everyone's own personal story about how they overcame their fear of roller coasters. Very interesting!

I have a funny fear of heights. Only when im suspended in the air is when I don't like it. I don't enjoy Eifel Tower or Drop Tower. Although I have been on both numerous times. But I will ride any roller coaster no matter the height.

I am 40 and have always had a severe fear of roller coasters. My only previous experience was Space Mountain about 15 years ago. That all changed yesterday as I went to K.I. with a roller coaster fanatic. WOW, I rode them all and had the time of my life, yes I was scared but the fear was overcome.

Tally for the day

1.Beast x2

2.Son of Beast x2

3.Diamondback x2....holy s%it

4.Firehawk

5.Flight of Fear

6.Vortex x2

7.Racer

8.Drop Zone

9.Invertigo

Don't let your fears hold you back, I now have 30 years of roller coaster riding to make up for hahaha.

Although I love the big coasters, one ride of which I am still terrified and will not ride is Witch's Wheel at CP. ( Their version of KI's Skylab. )

I love love love love love Witch's Wheel! I also loved Skylab.

But, I won't ride viking ships. I haven't been on Viking Fury in at least 10 years and will be perfectly content to never ride it again.

I used to be terrified of coasters. Last year..well there were some chicks and well you get the idea. :) Now I love them!

Wait, you love the chicks or the roller coasters? :lol: I like both B) .

Both B) . The funny thing is that after we got off, I ditched them and rode again!

i can see you doing that

Let's rewind to 1999....my first year with a Kings Island season pass.

I was absolutely petrified of rollercoasters, and if you forced me on one, I literally kicked and screamed.

I rode forwards Racer in 1999, and absolutely hated it. Same goes for Beastie. Also rode Adventure Express and Top Cat's Taxi Jam, it was okay.

Let's go forward to 2007...we took a vacation to Disney World and rode Rock n' Roller Coaster and absolutely loved it!

I decided to buy a Kings Island Gold Pass in 2008 and I made my first return to Kings Island for the first time in 9 years.

Since returning, I have ridden every roller coaster at Kings Island and conquered every Disney coaster and Universal coaster.

I am addicted to roller coasters and find myself with withdrawals in the offseason!

I have an absolute fear of heights. I can usually handle most coasters, although I haven't braved Firehawk or Diamondback yet. But I no doubt will this year. It took work, but I love coasters now.

I refuse to ride Drop Tower. The drop would be fine, but I'd cry the entire way up.