Observation question

Colonel_SoB_fan

On Saturday I was at KI and eating in Rivertown Junction for lunch. Sat where I could watch Diamondback Splashdown from inside. While watching numerous splashdowns I started to notice that the size of the splashdown was varied. What I mean is one train would make an huge splash to where another train wouldn't even be that big? Why are some of the splashdowns bigger than others?

On Saturday I was at KI and eating in Rivertown Junction for lunch. Sat where I could watch Diamondback Splashdown from inside. While watching numerous splashdowns I started to notice that the size of the splashdown was varied. What I mean is one train would make an huge splash to where another train wouldn't even be that big? Why are some of the splashdowns bigger than others?

Well, I know that during our last rides of the night on Sunday there was somebody (I want to say it was Violakat03) pointing out how there was different sized scoops on the red train which made for a smaller splashdown.

That might be true because I got wet on the back car of the green train and I didn't on the red train.

Yeah because we were in the back car with Kat in the very back row and we both leaned as far as we could over the side of the seat during the splashdown. I didn't get wet at all and she only got her arm misted.

I know they also replaced the fins on one train on Saturday. As we were standing in line for The Beast walkback, a couple of maintenance guys came by carrying a toolkit and two fins from a DB train.

I noticed those two guys also. As soon as they came out of that gate I knew what they were carrying.

If the scoops are different sizes, then that would be one cause. The smaller the scoop, then the higher the pressure of water, and a higher rooster tail. I know, someone is going to point out that even though the sizes of the entrance and exit holes of a scoop will be smaller than the another scoop, but this wouldn't cause higher pressure. For example, when water is put through the water line into your house, the pipe size may be 3 inches. Then, the size goes doe to 2 inches, 1.5 inches, the finally down to .5 inches. As the pipe size gets smaller, the higher the pressure. The scoops on Diamondback are similar, only the entrance hole and exit hole for a scoop are the same size, so the pressure won't increase. But, this would still increase the pressure lightly for smaller scoops on a particular train. This and the water pressure would be increased more for another reason, which is explained in the next paragraph.

A much simpler reason, and also a real reason, is the total weight of the people on a train. The more people on a train, and thus a usually higher total weight for the train (unless it's filled with children), then the train will go faster. This will cause the water to try and go through the scoops quicker, thus increasing the pressure. When there is more pressure, then the water goes higher, thus looking a lot better, IMO.

I'm thinking that they are at very slightly different angles on each train. I've noticed you don't get as wet on the green train, and you used to get soaked on red. When the grates were removed from the red train, I think they may have changed (whether purposely or accidentally) the angle of the scoops, pointing them back farther, which not only makes it less likely you'll get wet but also shortens the rooster tails as they'd be pointing back more than straight up.

...A much simpler reason, and also a real reason, is the total weight of the people on a train. The more people on a train, and thus a usually higher total weight for the train (unless it's filled with children), then the train will go faster....

Not according to Mr. Jeff Gramke of Kings Island...He says mass is simply not a factor in train speeds on coasters, regardless of what people think.

Not according to Mr. Jeff Gramke of Kings Island...He says mass is simply not a factor in train speeds on coasters, regardless of what people think.

I would agree that this is true of the gravity component, but everything else having to do with force has a great deal to do with the mass of the train. (F=ma) Anyone that has ever ridden The Beast with an almost empty train followed by a full train knows that mass has a great deal to do with the ride experience no matter what Jeff Gramke thinks. There...I said it...but won't debate it.

I would agree that this is true of the gravity component, but everything else having to do with force has a great deal to do with the mass of the train. (F=ma) Anyone that has ever ridden The Beast with an almost empty train followed by a full train knows that mass has a great deal to do with the ride experience no matter what Jeff Gramke thinks. There...I said it...but won't debate it.

Mister Dare-To-Fly not interested in a debate?

Am I reading this right?

I guess I don't even have to debate it.

Justin, the reason for this is, I'm a little rusty in the Physics department and don't remember enough details for a full scale debate (nor do I really want one). If someone wants to disagree - just do so and I'll build a bridge. I still know what I know.

Let me rephrase what I originally said about the scoops. The total weight/mass of the people riding on the train for Diamondback DOES affect the size of the rooster tail. Even if the speed isn't affected, then the rooster tails are. Momentum= Mass * Velocity, which is speed and direction. If an object has more omentum, then more force is needed to stop it, the onject being a train. So, if the speed is constant at say 35 mph for the drop into the splashdown, then it would have more momentum if the mass is greater. IF a train is filler with adults instead of children, the rooster tails WILL be larger. That is because the higher momentum would cause greater pressure between the scoops and the water. So, it all comes back to what I originally said, but for a slightly different reason. I hope all of this makes sense. If not, I'll try to explain it differently.

I'm surprised that dare-to-fly didn't mention that the biggest factor in train speeds on coasters is the amount of trimming ;)

dare-to-fly was just holding his tongue. Everyone knows what he thinks of the trims.

I hope all of this makes sense. If not, I'll try to explain it differently.

You're making sense to me!

Lol, I was just messing with ya

I know that full well, and I messed right back! ;)

The bottom line about the different splashes is this.

According to DB supervisor Brian, one of the scoops on the red train cracked causing a replacement to be attached which shoots the water out at a different angle. He also said that the original scoops would be back on the train very soon.