Cedar Fair Still Searching For FUN

...For Cedar Fair To Return To Fun...Cedar Fair will have to do something to decrease its debt load and address concerns about that aggressive expansion, which it has seen as necessary to stay competitive in a highly contested industry. The company might also want to rethink its annual capital expenditures for new giant coasters. This doesn't seem to be a cost-effective way to reach more customers, or at least it's not filtering to the bottom line the way the company wants. This is a time to streamline operations, strengthen the balance sheet, and find and focus on what works best. This may mean hammering home the value of the admission ticket and the park experience along with its regional availability.

Down the road, Cedar Fair and other park operators will have to find new strategies to compete better with encroaching non-park entertainment events. If Cedar Fair has a good summer, it can look forward to more than survival, and maybe finally some fun again. We all need that....

Also includes commentary on SIXF and DIS.

http://community.investopedia.com/news/IA/...XF-DIS0511.aspx

Not necessarily. It means that the gate may be discounted, but things inside the park may likely be increasing in price (again), in an effort to boost per caps since many guests are leaving the park to get food. Since fewer guests are spending in park, get more from each who does....or so it would appear. A nickel here, a nickel there...but first you have got to get them through the gate.

That all being said, it would appear to me that eventually Mr. Kinzel and his minions would figure out one great way to increase per caps would be to given "season's pass" members a discount on food and merchandise. I mean, that ain't rocket science. Six Flags does it, Dollywood does it, zoos do it, why not Cedar Fair?

Streamlining operations would probably be a decent way to improve profitability. I've been to KI a couple times this year when they are more employee cars in the parking lot than in the public lot. I think parks need to pick up some LEAN literature.

Why not lower the prices so its about maybe $1-$2 more than the average meal that way people will think its not worth walking out to the car and driving down the street. Maybe put some higher quality places to yet and some better indoor eating choices.

Good point

When I went to Universal Orlando a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that food and drinks were way cheaper than those found at Kings Island. Of course, Universal Orlando probably has way more guests on an average day that Kings Island does.

WOO-HOO POST #75!

I definitely agree that food prices should be lowered. While I love Skyline, I'd be more likely to leave the park and drive up to the Skyline up the road (near The Beach) than to eat at the park because it would save me more in the long run. I can get two cheese conies and a drink for under $4 at a normal skyline. I don't remember how much that meal cost in the park, but it was more than $4.

I think the first place to start would be overhauling Festhaus and turning it into something that reflects Cincinnati's rich German heritage. I realize that CF doesn't like theme parks, but many other eateries in the park are things you generally won't find outside of Cincinnati.

^I bet that'll cost you about $10 in the park. And I'm with you on the Festhaus. They have the perfect set-up for what could be an amazing German retreat. Instead it's lined with arcade games, Chinese restaurants, etc. I think they could do well with a live German band covering fun songs in polka (see: Hofbrau Haus).

Now Skyline in KI isn't all thast bad. It's the drinks that kill you. Like I can get 3 cheese coneys for about 7 bucks, not all that bad if you think about it. You'd get 4 cheese coneys for 7 bucks outside the park, so its not bad at all. Now drinks? Just wow. And the funny thing is that people will actaly spend 4 bucks for one pop! I take advantage of the free water, im not paying 4 bucks for something you can get for 1 dollor down the street.