SRL policy on DP is ridiculous IMO

DaveStroem

I have been to several other parks that have Single Rider Lines. KI's policy for DB has got to be the most ridiculous that I have seen.

First off, the reason for a SRL is to fill seat when there is an odd number group from the regular queue. It is not to give single riders a shorter wait time, this is often just a side benefit.

So why bother with the passes. It has been explained to me that the reasoning is to keep the SRL line smaller. So instead of having a longer line inside the gate, there is now one outside the gate. When I was there on Sunday there must have been 30-40 people waiting outside the gate for the SRL. The attendants switched and the new one just opened the gate even though there were no passes (kudos to him). Guess what, it worked just fine with out passes. If someone wants to jump out of the regular queue to go to the back of the SRL, what difference does that make?

My other thought is who cares if people go together in the SRL (I have never been questioned, but I read here that people have). As long as they are filling empty single seats, what difference does it make. If you're in the regular queue and they send the train out with or without empty seats, your wait time is exactly the same.

Flame On

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree. The SRL really makes no sense to me. I waited in it only twice, and thought it was a waste of time. Both times I waited in the SRL, I noticed that the people who were far behind me were on the train in front of me.

I also notice groups abusing the SRL by pretending to be single riders. Are they just impatient, or do they not realize the capacity of this coaster? You don't stand still for more than 5 seconds in that queue. I got in line when both queues were full and the line was out on the midway by Central Grill, and only waited an hour.

I think Maverick's SRL makes more sense. When Mav's entire queue is full inside and outside, it's a painfully slow 2 hour wait. The SRL doesn't start until the bottom of the stairs leading to the loading station, but it slices about 10-15 minutes off wait time if the SRL is short.

When I have used the SRL (4 times) I only waited for 3 trains max. So it was a time saver on those trips.

But what I was saying is how is it abusing the SRL when a group uses it?

The purpose is to keep the ride at full capacity, not to reward single riders with shorter waits.

I have not ridden Maverick yet. The last time we were there my coaster buddy was 1/2" to short so we skipped it.

We will be on it first thing Sunday if it is not raining.

I don't understand the reason for the passes either. I realize they don't want large groups going into the SRL and then expecting to sit together, but it's the responsibility of the guests to pay attention to the signs. If you can't figure out that "single rider line" means your group will be split up, then you should have to live with not being able to ride with other members of your group.

My sister and I went through the SRL together twice on the 2nd, and nobody said anything. We both ended up on the same train both times, but we weren't even expecting that.

it's the responsibility of the guests to pay attention to the signs. If you can't figure out that "single rider line" means your group will be split up, then you should have to live with not being able to ride with other members of your group.

Agreed.. It's a SINGLE RIDER line.

Not a HEY, LET'S PRETEND OUR ENTIRE GROUP IS SINGLE RIDERS JUST SO WE CAN GET ON DB FASTER line. It's not fair to those who are actually single riders.

I completely agree that anyone should be allowed to use it as long as they're riding solo. However I don't agree that Maverick's is better. There's no point to that thing. By the time a single rider gets to the start of the SRL, there are only about 30 people in front of them. So basically they have to pray that one of those 30 people is riding solo. And that's assuming there's no one else in the line.

I can certainly see flaws in Diamondback's SRL, what with the sanitation of the tickets, and certainly line jumping. Overall, however, I think it's a very effective way to fill the seats. And quite honestly, if the SRL is long, then just use the normal queue. That line moves fast anyway.

Got to say that while the line operation isn't perfect, I can't complain about it too much - KI doesn't have to have one, it is an added perk, not a right.

How it should be used all comes down to the question about what you think the purpose of the line is: My belief is that it should be for anyone who is willing to ride as a single (with no choice on seat and ride partners) while giving a "slight" advantage on wait time to these riders over the general queue to ensure every train is full. The pass system is designed to support this by ensuring that the single rider line never gets too long.

As an often single rider, who has used both the SRL and general queue, what you have to do is decide when you get there whether it is worth it or not. Pass available and full queue - go SRL. Pass not available and half empty queue - get in the queue. Want to ask for a 16 or a 1 seat assignment - get in the queue. And don't whine at the ride ops who don't have passes, they are just doing their job.

Also, you folks have to remember that there was A COASTER CONVENTION at KI last weekend. We enthusiasts happen to have a much greater preference for the SRL. Of course its going to be full, there is a bunch of enthusiasts there trying for 50 Diamondback rides in one day and what not. I went the first and second Saturday the park was opened and it worked great both times. Never waited more then 10 minutes.

As others have mentioned the only problem with Diamondback's implementation of the single rider line is what appeared to be a lack of communication between the cast members who collect and distribute the SRL passes to and from guests. Too often passes were not available for distribution on Saturday afternoon because the entire supply had been collected in the station.

Why anyone would be against groups of people willingly splitting up and riding Diamondback individuals so they can use the single rider line is incomprehensible.

I personally have found the SRL line to be a short wait, even when the main que is only say half full. It all depends on how many odd numbered groups you get..by my unscientific count while in the srl, it seemed that about every 5-6 groups were odd numbered. true, the capapcity is tremendous, but that should serve to make the srl line short as well. as for the passes, i can understand how they want to keep the line to no more than 50-60 at a time. In my many rides thus far I've mainly been in the srl.

myself, i am a sr thus allowing me into the srl, now i have chosen to eather get in the other line and wait or be an sr and socialize with others. i really dont care where i sit just as long as i can get my ride in.

I can certainly see flaws in Diamondback's SRL, what with the sanitation of the tickets, and certainly line jumping. Overall, however, I think it's a very effective way to fill the seats. That line moves fast anyway.

There are always odd# of riders which can fill the rows, especially when you have one of the ops assigning seats. I also 100% agree with you should be a single rider - not a group that breaks up-that is unfair to the other groups who went on the regular line like they should have.

Other major coasters have existed without the SRL for YEARS. Other coasters (Raptor) some times have to send out empty seats. You will notice MF rarely has an empty seat because the ops fill each row. TTD very rarely will allow an empty seat because it needs the weight.

After seeing the types of idiots using DBs SRL Sunday (read my TR from RWW to fully understand) I say get rid of it.

It is bound to get ten fold by the time the real crowds start showing up.

It is NOT Fastpass! :(

There are always odd# of riders which can fill the rows, especially when you have one of the ops assigning seats.

While that is true, it's not at all practical. Rarely would groups come in order in quantities that easily add to 16. Having a separate single rider queue is the best way to keep all of the seats filled and to keep both queues moving.

I also 100% agree with you should be a single rider - not a group that breaks up-that is unfair to the other groups who went on the regular line like they should have.

What is the difference between a set of 6 individuals in the single ride queue and a group of 6 who are willing to ride individually in the single ride queue? If anything you should be happy the group of 6 is willing to take on the inconvenience of potentially having to wait for 6 trains to complete the circuit and return. Any unfairness you might perceive is overwhelmingly trumped by the improved efficiency of the ride because of both queues.

that is unfair to the other groups who went on the regular line like they should have.

Other major coasters have existed without the SRL for YEARS. Other coasters (Raptor) some times have to send out empty seats. You will notice MF rarely has an empty seat because the ops fill each row. TTD very rarely will allow an empty seat because it needs the weight.

It is NOT Fastpass! :(

This goes back to my first post. What is the purpose of the SRL? IMO it is to fill the trains and move the maximum number of people through the ride as possible. To fill the train when an odd number of guest show up the efficient method is a SRL. This as you say is not a Fastpass. It is also not designed (again IMO) to give a benefit to the single rider. It is just to fill each and every train 100%.

^exactly. But in doing so, it shortens the line for everyone else. Because now those 10 people that could be in the normal line are being spread out into empty seats on other trains rather than taking up 10 seats on a train where there could be more empties.

If there aren't any passes, anyone can jump in or out of the lines (either SRL to main line, or visa versa) Without passes, it's dumb. It also controls the length of the SRL. They don't want it going on forever, and it's all at the speed of how fast they're taking them from the station to the front.

The point of the SRL is fill open seats on DB to maximize capacity. Sure, sometimes the line is longer than the regular line....well, then get out of the SRL and into the main line, dummy!

It's a fantastic thing, and I thank KI over and over again for having it. It's allowed me TONS of rides on DB when the line is 45-60 minutes long. THANKS!!!!!

-Zach

Sunday some lady ended up in the SRL line, she didn't have a pass and they did not let her on the ride. She walked back by us through the SRL all mad because they wouldn't let her on. I agree with KI Man, if we didnt have the passes then people would just line jump into the SRL line like this lady. SRL is the best thing since sliced bread! lol

If there aren't any passes, anyone can jump in or out of the lines (either SRL to main line, or visa versa) Without passes, it's dumb. It also controls the length of the SRL. They don't want it going on forever, and it's all at the speed of how fast they're taking them from the station to the front.

The point of the SRL is fill open seats on DB to maximize capacity. Sure, sometimes the line is longer than the regular line....well, then get out of the SRL and into the main line, dummy!

It's a fantastic thing, and I thank KI over and over again for having it. It's allowed me TONS of rides on DB when the line is 45-60 minutes long. THANKS!!!!!

-Zach

I too think it is a good thing that could be great. I have no problem with someone jumping to the back of either line.

Why anyone would be against groups of people willingly splitting up and riding Diamondback individuals so they can use the single rider line is incomprehensible.

Why not have tons of groups doing that same thing and then the wait for the single line will be longer than the regular line?? :o