SRL policy on DP is ridiculous IMO

DaveStroem

Sorry the SRL is not for our benifit, its for the parks to increase ride throughput. If the SRL line causes you to wait one hour, thats just the way it is. Personally, I agree, let the SRL be open all the time, and have idiots queue up for it even if it goes to the front entrance (hey its a shorter line ;).)

I also really need to point out that if I was to walk up to MF, Maverick, TTD or Raptor with a 45 min wait midday on Memorial Day weekend I would be extastic. I was there yesterday with my brother, and seeing as this was his only trip to KI this year and the line was that short we elected to go in the main line all three times we road the ride giving us 3 back row rides. That was our longest wait of the day, on a Sunday while events were going on! We had a blast and did a whole slew of rides (Diamondback x3, Beast x2, Firehawk x2, FoF, Drop Tower, SoB, Flight Deck, Train x2, Coolingada Racer, Crocidile Run x3, Tazmanian Tornado, Scooby x2, Racer, Adventure Express and Backlot.)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I skipped a 45 minute wait twice the other day by using the SRL.

Only problem I see without the SRL tickets is:

-Once people in the main line see people walking in the SRL, they jump out of the main line and into the SRL. I looked down from the top of the steps and saw the line was about 3/4 the way up. Then I looked again and saw the ops laughing at the SRL because people jumped from the main line and into the SRL, causing it to stretch back underneath the track. Nice.

-Or visa versa.

A simple solution to the idiots who see the SRL as a shortcut to the main queue:

Frankiespg2large.jpg

This is made by the same company that makes all the railing systems used throughout the park. Yes, it will cost the park some $$$ to purchase the panels and install them, but it will make it much harder for folks to just duck under the railings. Sure, they can still sit on the fence and hop over, but that's more noticeable, and without a bottom rail to climb on, it will stop the younger patrons from doing so.

^^ That railing (or something similar) would certainly deter people from shifting lines. However, one of the things I've noticed is that most people are cutting into the SRL from the main queue at points where it wouldn't really benefit them if there's anyone waiting in the SRL already. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people cross into the SRL from the main queue and actually add time to their wait! My brother and I always get a good laugh when we see that. This leads me to my next point...

I'm very curious as to how many people actually KNOW what the SRL is; i.e., why there are seemingly random people walking in another line right next to them, particularly in that last set of switchbacks before you get to the station. Why not simply put a few signs up (along the points where the main queue and SRL run parallel to each other) prominently indicating that the line to the left is the SRL - AND - that single riders will be paired with someone waiting in the main queue. There's currently no mention of either in between the line entrance and the station.

I haven't seen too many people cutting from one line to the other (and again, the points where you can easily cut it doesn't do you much good anyway most times), and I have enough faith in people that that will continue to be the case. I don't care if groups use it, as long as special provisions aren't made to allow them to ride together. I simply care about how long the SRL is in comparison to the main queue and whether it offers any advantages at that moment in time. Kings Island is obviously trying to make sure that the SRL is offering a shorter wait for single riders, and I truly appreciate that provision.

At some point, though, I can't help but wonder whether they'll allow the SRL to bulge a little bit more than normal to discourage anyone and everyone from hopping into it. I would almost guarantee that if you have someone wait longer in the SRL than in the main queue (a rarity now that crowds have picked up, but still happens occasionally) they would be weary of using it again, particularly with groups where they simply think it's an easy way to get on faster AND still ride together. Most folks on here can pretty easily tell if the SRL will be worth it time wise by simply comparing the two lines and coming to a conclusion, but members of the GP using the line for the first time cannot. I'm of the opinion that the SRL would self-regulate when it comes to the length of the line, thereby eliminating the need for them to have the game of open/closed tag we're currently witnessing. Yeah, it would suck to wait for an hour in the SRL when the main queue is 45 minutes, but that's your fault for waiting in the SRL if there are that many people ahead of you!

I love the SRL, I really do, and I'm sure they'll tweak it over time to keep things in check. I think the main thing they need to do is get more clear signage as I mentioned earlier. We'll see!

**EDIT**

^ People who are in the SRL don't see that video, so unless you've been in the main queue before AND are actually paying attention (the latter being a more dubious assumption) you wouldn't see that.

On Saturday, while using the single rider line, JUST as we I was about to make the bend to the steps with about 15 people in front of me, I was asked for the 100th time "how I got such a good pass to go to the front of the line!?" So after explaining myself for the 100th time that the single rider line is available to everyone, this kid hops out of the regular line and hops into the SRL. So I explained to him that where he was in line at, he would reach the station long before I would. So he tried getting back into the regular line and the people there would not let him. I started laughing as he stood behind me dejected. He watched as his friends entered the station and rode about 10mins before he got on. So during this time, I told him how to best use the line if he ever wanted to give it another try.

And to the poster above who said if the SRL is at the bottom of the steps: If the line has anymore of a 30min wait, even if the line is at the bottom of the steps for SRL, you will get on sooner than they do. I am up to using the SRL 11 times now and have timed it so many times. If the line if longer than a 30min or so wait and you are by yourself and you do not care what seat you sit in, the SRL is for you!

^ I appreciate you posting your observations. I'm sure as the crowds continue to build through the summer that will become even more important as 20 minute or less lines will only exist during morning ERT. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely HATE it when people are in the SRL and ask if they can be put on the same train as their friend.. it completely defeats the purpose. There was a group of 4 in the SRL when it was very short, that actually jumped into the other line so they could ride together... It's frustrating.

Went to the park last Friday (5/29) with the wife and rode Diamondback 3 times. For the second and third times this season, I saw a SRL that was getting outta control in length, and for the second and third times, I saw Ride-Ops filling rows in trains solely from the SRL to try and lessen the length of the line.

I don't care if they go back to handing out passes and disallowing groups, or if they just get the Ride-Ops to follow the actual rules/structure of the SRL... but I'm quickly growing tired of watching couples/groups joining the SRL and get seated together while those of us waiting in the main line are put on hold

-Matt, who thinks there are some Ride-Ops who aren't familiar with the definition of "stand-by only".

I don't care if they go back to handing out passes and disallowing groups

This is EXACTLY how I feel about the whole situation, at least with the passes groups that were in the main queue already couldn't just jump into the SRL like they are now. Like everybody else has said something needs to be done about the jumping from the main queue to SRL or vice-versa.

IMO, they need to start having two security guards posted inside the queue area. I believe that if they have one security guard pretty much at the bottom of the stairs at that turn to watch, it will limit the number of guests jumping from one line to the other as that is the main area in which you see this happening. Also I believe that another needs to be posted INSIDE the queue area, keeping people from trying to reach their friends with ice cream cones, beverages, things like that because I see that way too often and if you try to tell a security guard 1) They aren't even watching the line as they are outside of it and 2) They wont even do anything because they weren't watching and they didn't see it happen.

I have been in line for Diamondback many times and have seen guests tell a security guard about a line jumper and that security guard just looks around then walks away and doesn't even care about it. I know what I said about the 2 security guards posted in the queue wont KEEP people from line jumping but I believe it could be an effective way to try to keep the number of line jumpers down.

Yesterday, I went to KI. While in the SRL to get my second ride on Diamondback, there was a kid (probably 10-12) behind me. After I got assigned to a row, I heard him ask the ride op if he could sit (I couldn't hear the rest). The ride op politely told him they would have to see how it worked out. I couldn't help but laugh (the kid was in a group of three BTW). I have to give the ride op credit for doing their job right.

BTW was anyone on here working at Diamondback yesterday? I know there is a Gabe on here and there was a Gabe at Diamondback. Also, the ride ops on Diamondback were really nice yesterday! :)

I think KI and the Diamondback ride ops are really starting to make the SRL work well based upon my experience today (a not too busy Saturday at the park).

During my 5 rides (4 from SRL), I saw:

- A security guard roaming the queue often and stopping two separate line jumpers

- SRL take longer than the main queue as the seat assigner was following the stand-by only protocol (25 min line)

- Ride ops looking for a group of two from the main queue before assigning Single Riders to the last rows of a train when there was a large group

I think they are learning and improving - got to give them credit!

^ Agreed. They seem to have a much better feel for how to handle the SRL than they did a few weeks ago. The SRL has always been open the last few times I've gone as long as the line doesn't stretch past the bottom of the stairs.

Having said that, as someone posted earlier, if the SRL is at the bottom of the stairs and the main queue is less than 25-30 minutes, your best bet is probably to get in the main queue. Yesterday I saw a group of four kids who got in the SRL, saw the length of the SRL (just past bottom of stairs) and quickly retreated to get back in the main line, which was around 15 minutes long, so there are veterans out there who know how to use the system.

^^^The two links I am giving you go to the member profiles of the two people I was talking about who are both ride op's on Diamondback.

Both have pictures of themselves on their profiles, Gabriel (Gabe for short) is the one you saw as you can see in the picture.

Captain Nemo

Cory Butcher

Thanks. Yeah, those are the people I saw the other day.

^ Agreed. They seem to have a much better feel for how to handle the SRL than they did a few weeks ago. The SRL has always been open the last few times I've gone as long as the line doesn't stretch past the bottom of the stairs.

Having said that, as someone posted earlier, if the SRL is at the bottom of the stairs and the main queue is less than 25-30 minutes, your best bet is probably to get in the main queue. Yesterday I saw a group of four kids who got in the SRL, saw the length of the SRL (just past bottom of stairs) and quickly retreated to get back in the main line, which was around 15 minutes long, so there are veterans out there who know how to use the system.

On my trip last I never used the SRL. It went to the bottom of the stairs, and the regular line was about 10 - 15 minutes. I figured I was doing my part to move the SRL along and getting on in half the time had I used the SRL! :)

So did they do away with the ticket system?

Yes, they did. They haven't used that in weeks now. Now the ride op at the entrance opens and closes the gate depending on the length of the SRL. When the line gets to the bottom of the stairs, the gate gets closed. It usually reopens when the SRL gets to the top of the stairs.

On my trip last I never used the SRL. It went to the bottom of the stairs, and the regular line was about 10 - 15 minutes. I figured I was doing my part to move the SRL along and getting on in half the time had I used the SRL! :)

My brother and I were just getting into the line when we saw two enthusiasts get into the SRL. We were passing them about 10 minutes later as they were standing just below the halfway point of the SRL, clearly agitated that they knew they got into the wrong line. Sometimes it just works out like that, but it's nice to know that there seems to be a pretty consistent method on how to use the SRL effectively.