The NEW Crypt 5/15

Ki Man

I never rode the ride that was Tomb Raider, nor did I participate in the program that it was previously running. However, I just have this thing with tight flips or inversions. However, I'm going to give it a shot the next time I'm there. I tried to talk the girlfriend into it today, but she wasn't game. She still thinks it is running the same Tomb Raider program and I'm just trying to get her to ride it again.

If they were to switch out Top Spins for a smaller version, might I suggest the Suspended Top Spin in this style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1pteOpl8pA

The way it is set up is incredible:

talocan03.jpg

^ The front of the 'building'.

231d1180046671-talocan-eroeffnungsberich

^ And the back of the 'building'.

Not to mention it has three different programs with three different soundtracks for three different experiences.

I rode it Friday with the new program. The first words out of my mouth when it stopped were "That was it?" I also heard that it was lame, boring, and sucked from other patrons in the gondola. And I was on the end of the row so I only heard half of them!

I'm also not a big fan at all of being able to partially see the ride in operation. I liked it when you couldn't see it at all. For me, I prefer all or nothing. Either completely enclose it or remove the enclosure all together. Even that little peep ruins it for me. Well, the program ruined it too. I actually enjoyed the old program.

And a considerable amount of money was clearly spent on that building and its associated theming. If I am not mistaken, that is the same version of Top Spin that Kings Dominion has.

I have not had a chance to ride the "new" Crypt yet. (I`ve been busy wrapping up school stuff). But based on reports, a ride on the Rock O Planes at Coney may be more intense than a ride on The Crypt with the new program. Just ask Gordan Bombay about that. I showed him an intense ride last summer on it!

And to follow up on a comment a few pages back. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Ferris Wheels. They are a classic ride. Its a shame that Kings Island doesn`t have a true Ferris Wheel. A lot of families love riding the Ferris Wheel at Coney, even if most of them remark that Coney runs theirs faster than any other one they`ve seen.

[...] If I am not mistaken, that is the same version of Top Spin that Kings Dominion has.

Not quite. Kings Dominion has a Suspended Top Spin to where riders' feet dangle as there is no floor below them during the course of the ride. Also, both rows are placed back to back and face opposite directions. Not to mention KD's is a LOT smaller than ours; at its highest point it goes only about 40 feet, I believe, while ours is doubled to almost 80.

KI is going daily soon? How about now! :)

Sorry. I wasn't sure if it was this week or next, and I was too lazy to check. so went with the safer answer.

I haven't had the chance to experience Timmy Sr. Air Tours or whatever you guys are calling it now since the change, but my sister did.

She is very picky about rollercoasters and rides in general and thinks any rollercoaster or ride without an inversion is lame.

Needless to say, lame is the word that came out of her mouth when I asked her what she thought about the ride.

That's how my friend is about Diamondback. BEFORE it opened, and after, he said, "Oh, that doesn't look like that great of a ride. It at least needs a loop or a corkscrew!" It gets on my nerves SO bad. I try to explain why it doesn't so he says" It's still not that great of a ride. It needs a loop!"... *thinks whatever to self*

If they were to switch out Top Spins for a smaller version, might I suggest the Suspended Top Spin in this style:

talocan03.jpg

Not to mention it has three different programs with three different soundtracks for three different experiences.

That ride looks absolutely AMAZING. The theming a coordination of the flips with the water and fire is great. I would love it if our Crypt was replaced with that! I want to ride that SOOOOOOOO bad!!! :(

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Ferris Wheels.

Except, when they are advertised as an intense high speed thrill ride, are enclosed, and have a "5" intensity rating.

The Crypt is the only Ferris Wheel that fits that description.

Well a lot of people said that KI needed a ferris wheel... :P

That's how my friend is about Diamondback. BEFORE it opened, and after, he said, "Oh, that doesn't look like that great of a ride. It at least needs a loop or a corkscrew!" It gets on my nerves SO bad. I try to explain why it doesn't so he says" It's still not that great of a ride. It needs a loop!"... *thinks whatever to self*

Has this friend ridden DB yet?

I used to share your friend's opinion years ago. Back in '91, I was was having a conversation with dorm-mates about coasters. I had never been to CP, but my friend Paul (who was from the Cleveland area and had never been to KI) was trying to convince me that Magnum was the best coaster ever. I said, "What's the point of a steel coaster without loops?" After all, I was used to Vortex and Demon. Oddly, it didn't even dawn on me at the time that AE was a steel coaster.

A few years later I finally made it to CP, rode Magnum and could see his point. (Or should that be see der point?) ;) From then on I was a little more open-minded!

KI is going daily soon? How about now! :)

Sorry. I wasn't sure if it was this week or next, and I was too lazy to check. so went with the safer answer.

I haven't had the chance to experience Timmy Sr. Air Tours or whatever you guys are calling it now since the change, but my sister did.

She is very picky about rollercoasters and rides in general and thinks any rollercoaster or ride without an inversion is lame.

Needless to say, lame is the word that came out of her mouth when I asked her what she thought about the ride.

talocan03.jpg

That ride looks absolutely AMAZING. The theming a coordination of the flips with the water and fire is great. I would love it if our Crypt was replaced with that! I want to ride that SOOOOOOOO bad!!! :(

Did you happen to see how the arms shook back and forth when the gondola flipped? That's a little scary.

I thought I would give the crypt a try after reading this post. I was hopeful it wouldn't be too bad since many here didn't like the last program which I really liked. I think you all gave the new program too much credit. It was really really bad. There are no more spins which made this ride so much fun. After all isn't it called top spin? It is nothing more than a large tommy tour ride now.

Yeah it was a blast during rwcw. I actually liked it better than the tomb raider program. I didn't like the part in tomb raider where it just hung you face down for several seconds as it slowly lowered you to the lava effect.

I can't seem to resist riding The Crypt anymore. They put that AWESOME music in the queue and it just draws me to it. Besides, it's just as thrilling as waiting in line for Viking Fury, so why not? Sure the new program is way less fun than the old, but enjoy it while you have it just the same. Come on, guys. Just look at the positives.

Flyer, trying.

• 2 weeks later...

i rode the crypt yesterday again, just on the off chance something was different. Of course, it wasnt. I filed a complaint at guest services about it, and voila! i got a call this morning from some supervisor of ride something i dont remember but i told him how the ride was shortened and wasnt themed etc. and he said he knew that. What was interesting, is that he mentioned that their goal for this season is to just make it through the season without being constantly down. We pretty much all know this, but im surprised to have them come out and say it to me. He didnt however sound like anything else was going to be done about it either.

Has this friend ridden DB yet?

I used to share your friend's opinion years ago. Back in '91, I was was having a conversation with dorm-mates about coasters. I had never been to CP, but my friend Paul (who was from the Cleveland area and had never been to KI) was trying to convince me that Magnum was the best coaster ever. I said, "What's the point of a steel coaster without loops?" After all, I was used to Vortex and Demon. Oddly, it didn't even dawn on me at the time that AE was a steel coaster.

A few years later I finally made it to CP, rode Magnum and could see his point. (Or should that be see der point?) ;) From then on I was a little more open-minded!

Yes, he did ride Diamondback, a couple of times actually.

i rode the crypt yesterday again, just on the off chance something was different. Of course, it wasnt. I filed a complaint at guest services about it, and voila! i got a call this morning from some supervisor of ride something i dont remember but i told him how the ride was shortened and wasnt themed etc. and he said he knew that. What was interesting, is that he mentioned that their goal for this season is to just make it through the season without being constantly down. We pretty much all know this, but im surprised to have them come out and say it to me. He didnt however sound like anything else was going to be done about it either.

Wow, I didn't even know you could file a complaint because of a rid elike that. Aslo, it sounds like they may be getting ready to get rid of the Crypt. Maybe this topic actually has something to it.

i rode it on sunday, while the ride it self was sort of dull, i like the feeling of taking a break from reality and riding a fun ride that is calming. I LOVE the noises and sounds during the ride, and i think the different colored light during the ride is really cool. It is a fun ride, not wait a hour for it, but for a walk on it is totally worth it.

Wow! Just wow! They should just tear it out and replace it.

I completely agree. I liked it when it was Tomb Raider, and yes I know they had to ditch the paramount theme, but the ride is lame now. I went on it last year, and it was so boring. they ripped out everything inside. I say tear it down and put in a new roller coaster or something there.

I rode it for the first time this year yesterday. I found the ride to be short and programmed different. It isn`t as rough a ride as I remember it. Its still not a bad ride but could use some work in the overall theme appearance. I realize CF took on tons of debt to acquire the Paramount parks and maybe in the future it will get the touch up it needs. It takes money to do major renovations and as cash strapped as CF is it may take a few years, give them a chance. My only complaint was how short the ride has become.

Rode it again today because it started raining. I liked how the ride op didn't even bother asking how our ride was because he probably knew the answer to that question.

I wish there was a way to keep the building there, take out the ride itself and replace it with a brand new flat ride and change the theming or something with the building still there. I can dream right? :rolleyes: