Ki Food Prices

ZukoGirl

I just returned from the park and the prices at Potato Works were on par with seasons past. Late this evening, I decided to fork over north of 9 bucks for a Diamond Back cup. This thing holds 46 ounces and has a nifty little spout at the top that I used to fill some empty water bottles. So... we bought 2 fries, 2 cheese cups, a chicken popper, and the 46 ounce refillable cup (enough Diet Coke for all in my family) for just over $30.

That's pretty reasonable considering that last night's dinner at Donato's (off site, of course) was closer to $40.

I know food plays a big role...but let's not forget season passes and tickets...those are a big chunk. Let's just say Kings Island made their own franchise of a mcdonalds...do you mean to tell me that if they used normal mcdonalds pricing they wouldn't make a profit???? They don't need to be that high.

About five years ago, Six Flags Great Adventure had a McDonald's. A Happy Meal was $7.95. A Big Mac value meal was $8.95. Fries then were $2.99. And there is a McDonald's right outside the park. Even that McDonald's has much higher pricing than most, and it is not owned by or connected with Great Adventure.

Look at the Subway pricing at Kings Island. Or Panda Express. Or Chick-Fil-A. All three are owned by franchisees...I think you'd be amazed at what the park charges for what amounts to rentals there.

All the wife and myself require is a blue cone and an occasional lemonade if it is really hot. Overall i think the food prices are on par with any other theme park or stadium. The six dollar six inch at Subway is asinine though.

Whats funny is my brother is commisioner of his towns little league park and he was telling me how they have a deal with Coke where they buy the bottled water in bulk for like 30 cents a bottle and turn around and sell it for $1 dollar for profit. Now i am sure KI has a deal in place as well, only they turn and sell it for $'s. To think how many bottles of water alone are sold in a season....but also think what kind of overhead costs the park endures also.

on a side note, i swear Larosas tastes different at KI than their standard locations, but i also swear a frostee tastes different with a metal spoon.

Actually, Disney, Universal and Busch Gardens all have much lower food and beverage pricing for what is almost always higher quality and better service. And I am still looking for fresh fruit at Kings Island...so much junk food...what a pity.

Yep. At Disney, you can usually get a pretty decent combo meal (sandwhich, side & drink) for about $6. A 32oz. Coke is only $2.79 and fresh fruit is everywhere.

And you can't find Mickey bars at Kings Island no matter how hard you look. :angry:

And just how do you think Cedar Fair pays for things like Diamondback (and for the Paramount Parks?)? I have NO problem with the park's food pricing...but I do think the quality could be far better, and that the drink prices are, frankly, absurd.

The drinks are were the real money is, because I am sure (from my previous work experience) KI doesn't pay a dime for fountain drinks, cups or the fountains themselves. It is 100% profit, minus the tiny bit of overhead, of course.

This debate really comes down to simple economics, if the demand is inelastic then they can charge more and make more money, if the demand is elastic then the more the charge the less the make. The reason why most theme parks over charge for food is they have a monopoly and most people find going elsewhere annoying, therefore the demand is inelastic. But seeing what the per-caps have been I think CF has gone beyond that point and now an increase in price equals a decrease in sales.

Actually, Disney, Universal and Busch Gardens all have much lower food and beverage pricing for what is almost always higher quality and better service. And I am still looking for fresh fruit at Kings Island...so much junk food...what a pity.

I'm pretty sure they do have fruit at Kings Island! I've seen strawberries,watermelon, and then there were giant fruit salads at one of the restaurants. Now, whether it's "fresh" or not is debatable I guess. But they do have fruit! I had some of their strawberries last year at Boomerang Bay and they were delicious, if not expensive!

I don't think the food prices are too outrageous compared to stadiums and other waterparks around this area. If you buy a souvenir cup it's only about $2.12 after tax for the refill. And with the new DB cups, you get more soda. Or, you could just drink the free ice water and save some money! We fill up our souvenir cups with ice water and that hits the spot much better than pop on a hot day. You could always save money by packing your own lunch or taking a break and eating outside the park.

~Ash

If you want lower food prices head down 71 past KI. Jump on 64 to Santa Claus...

-Slice of Pizza, Choice of Fries, Apple Sauce or Fruit Cup, and Cookie

(pepperoni, sausage or cheese) $4.49

Pepsi: Free

Funnel Cake: $2.49

I could go on all day...

you can get the wristband for 10 bucks and drink all day for free at KI as well.

If you want lower food prices head down 71 past KI. Jump on 64 to Santa Claus...

I could go on all day...

you can get the wristband for 10 bucks and drink all day for free at KI as well.

I have several problems with this rationale. First, I do NOT go to amusement and theme parks primarily for the food...I cannot ride Diamondback at Holiday World, I can't ride Beast at Holiday World, I cannot ride Scooby and the Haunted Mansion at Holiday World. And, about the only park pizza I like less than LaRosa's is that stuff they serve at Holiday World. Yes, I know others adore it. They can have it. I find Holiday World's pizza disgusting beyond words.

Finally, when you pay more than ten bucks, including tax, for drink service, it is hardly free. Neither is Holiday World's. At least at Kings Island the charge is optional, not built into the admission price like it is at Holiday World. I no longer drink soda...and don't find getting to pay for everyone else's sodas all that amusing.

I know must people do not go to parks for just food, im just stating that the prices are far lower at Holiday World.

True, you cant ride Diamondback at HW and so on and so forth. But come on The Beast is overly-trimmed, boring and downright painful.

LaRosa's is better outside of KI, as are most things they serve!

About five years ago, Six Flags Great Adventure had a McDonald's. A Happy Meal was $7.95. A Big Mac value meal was $8.95. Fries then were $2.99. And there is a McDonald's right outside the park. Even that McDonald's has much higher pricing than most, and it is not owned by or connected with Great Adventure.

Look at the Subway pricing at Kings Island. Or Panda Express. Or Chick-Fil-A. All three are owned by franchisees...I think you'd be amazed at what the park charges for what amounts to rentals there.

That's pretty funny cause Star Bucks only has about a 50 cent mark-up. Goes to show how over priced they are outside of the park.

i saw the subway prices, $1 an inch for a sub. so much for the Five dollar footlong, now we have a Twelve dollar footlong. :lol:

Six, six doller, six doller six inch. :rolleyes:

I could go on all day...

I have several problems with this rationale. First, I do NOT go to amusement and theme parks primarily for the food...I cannot ride Diamondback at Holiday World, I can't ride Beast at Holiday World, I cannot ride Scooby and the Haunted Mansion at Holiday World. And, about the only park pizza I like less than LaRosa's is that stuff they serve at Holiday World. Yes, I know others adore it. They can have it. I find Holiday World's pizza disgusting beyond words.

Finally, when you pay more than ten bucks, including tax, for drink service, it is hardly free. Neither is Holiday World's. At least at Kings Island the charge is optional, not built into the admission price like it is at Holiday World. I no longer drink soda...and don't find getting to pay for everyone else's sodas all that amusing.

Terpy's absolutely right. When at Holiday World you're paying major league prices to get into a minor league park. Parking, lower food prices, "free" drinks, etc are all things you pay for right off The Bat.

Terpy's absolutely right. When at Holiday World you're paying major league prices to get into a minor league park. Parking, lower food prices, "free" drinks, etc are all things you pay for right off The Bat.

Maybe I'm crazy, but seriously? It's $36 to get into Holiday World. That's $6 more than getting into Soak City at Cedar Point. Soak City!

That's $14 more than going to The Beach (with their online price).

Holiday World's water park alone is almost worth the $36 because it's on par if not better than both of those. Throw in 3 of the best wooden roller coasters in the world, a slew of flat and water rides, free soda (and other drinks), free parking, free sunscreen, and all the charm in the world. I would say it's a blessing that it's ONLY $36. At that price I don't feel like I'm paying for the "free" stuff more than for a good time.

If you're going there just for the dry rides and not the water park as well, sure, $36 might seem steep. But then you shouldn't be thinking "Oh, I'm getting ripped by paying for everyone's soda and parking" you should feel like you're ripping yourself off because half the park is a water park.

The Beast is overly-trimmed, boring and downright painful.

Pretty sure you're one of few that think that.

Well, he's right about the overly-trimmed part. I have ridden The Beast more times than I care to count and have never thought of him as boring or painful, even with the trims.

I really like the idea of the park having its own food places instead of the chains. It is more interesting, to me at least, to go the park and have some of the food that you can only get there. You can get Subway anywhere. Where else can you go and eat at Stunt Crew Grill or Jukebox Diner? I can't say that I have ever had bad food from Stunt Crew Grill either. Jukebox on the other hand . . .

...If you're going there just for the dry rides and not the water park as well, sure, $36 might seem steep. But then you shouldn't be thinking "Oh, I'm getting ripped by paying for everyone's soda and parking" you should feel like you're ripping yourself off because half the park is a water park.

Oh, I don't think that. I save my pennies and spend them in parks I truly admire, in states like Ohio, Georgia, California, Florida, Illinois and New Jersey....I haven't been back to Holiday World since the year after Voyage was built, and I'm not likely to be going back any time soon....