Trip Report 5/15

Aaron

Today was really a homecoming for me at the park. Ever since I sold PKI Unlimited to PKI Central almost 5 years ago, I had not visited the park except for opening day for the Italian Job. After that last (somewhat disgusted) visit, and with moving away from PKIU, I really had no need or desire to visit the park despite the fact that it is the closest theme park to me (based in Indy, go to school up at Purdue for engineering). After 4 years of visiting other parks across the country, I finally had an excuse to return to KI: Diamondback.

So I first arrived at the park thinking it would be a normal low attendance Friday... until I saw all the school buses. Crap. Looked like I decided to pick a great day to visit with so many high schoolers visiting for their senior days along with math and science days. I knew I could handle the crowd, but would I be able ot handle all the immature middle/high school kids? I took a deep breath and walked towards the gates w/ my friend. I honestly cannot remember the exact order we rode everything, so I'll just hit some of the major points from our visit:

The Park - After my last visit to PKI in 2005, I was really disgusted with the park. I really felt as if Paramount was trying to turn Kings Island into a redneck, half-ass version of Universal Studios. IMO, Paramount had slowly destroyed everything I loved about PKI. However, today, I can honestly say that I feel that magic has returned. Cedar Fair has done an absolutely PHENOMENAL job with Kings Island. The park was IMMACULATE, and all the ride attendants were extremely energetic and enthusiastic. Not to mention, the landscaping looked exceptionally well kept and beautiful.

Diamondback - First ride of the day... I'll save my thoughts on that for last. ;)

Vortex - 15 minute wait. By far the best Arrow looper out there. Back row, first drop... 'nuff said.

The Beast - About a 40 minute wait, last car. The Beast was flying. Despite the track work done over the winter, it was pretty brutal in some places. But, that's alright... I like it rough sometimes ;) Despite The Voyage being my #1 wooden coaster, there is absolutely nothing that will ever get me to giggle like a little kid like that double helix finale.

Delirium - 30 minute wait. Probably my favorite non-coaster ride. My only complaint is that the crew today was HORRIBLE. I've never seen such a disorganized and slow moving crew in my life. I miss the original Delirium crew back in 2003 led by Sparky. Now that was a crew.

Flight of Fear / Firehawk - Over 1 hour wait all day... there's no way I was gonna waste my time on those types of rides I've ridden countless times before at KI and other parks.

Son of Beast - 30 minute wait, and the first time I have ridden it without the loop. Hated it with the loop, and still hate it just as much sans loop. Please, just get rid of that ride.

Racer-Despite the fact that there's no backwards Racer anymore, I am more than willing to give that up for having them actually race. Short wait and fun ride like always.

And finally....

Diamondback

Going into today, I really had VERY high hopes for this ride. I have ridden every B&M hyper coaster in the US, so I had a pretty good idea of what to expect. I rode Diamondback a total of three times, and I think it's necessary to break down each ride. As many of you know, Diamondback offers drastically different rides depending on your seating location.

Ride 1, Row 15 - This was the first ride we had when we arrived to the park. The queue was completely full, but knowing how amazing the capacity is on B&Ms, I knew the wait wouldn't be too long. The total wait time was just over 40 minutes. The first and second drop in the back is insane. You really get whipped going over both of those hills, and the third hill is pretty good. The trim on the fourth hill completely killed any pace, along with the MCBR. After the MCBR I felt like the ride was subpar. The two return hills were yawnsville, and the helix before the splashdown was everything but intense. I walked away from my first ride very, VERY disappointed.

Ride 2, Row 4 - Now THIS is more like it. I've read that the new style trains give for much better front seat rides, so when I was assigned to row 4, I was very happy. Great air on the first drop, second drop, third... every where. Even the hills after the MCBR had good air, including the drop into the splashdown. I came away feeling relieved that Diamondback maybe isn't the disappointment I feared it was.

Ride 3 - Row 1 - I think we have a winner. The front is by far the best seat on the ride. You have the best of everything: the view, the openness, and most importantly, the airtime. There's nothing cooler than feeling like you are soaring across the water in the splashdown up in front. This happened to be my very last ride for the day, and made me officially sold on Diamondback. After its poor first impression, Diamondback turned out to be a GREAT ride (as long as you're in the front part of the train). Is it a #1 steel coaster? No. However, I do believe it's a top 3 steel coaster.

Overall, it was a great day. Despite the crowds, I really do feel like KI is back on track to being that park that I loved long ago. Cedar Fair has done an outstanding job in transforming the park that Paramount neglected. And, after a sketchy start, I am proud to say that Diamondback is a fantastic ride and addition to the park. Kings Island is finally back on track to being the great park it once was, and the park that made me fall in love with amusement parks and roller coasters.

Now if KI could do something about those darn annoying middle/high school kids... ;)

PS - Sparky, sorry we didn't get the chance to meet up... you obviously know the situation haha.

Wow. FoF had a 10 minute wait at about 9:30!

Also, SoB was a station wait for me.

Yea... that may have been the case, but we left the park around 8 PM. Didn't have the time to stay any later, I had to be back in Indy early to fly out to California tomorrow for a race at Laguna Seca that I'm engineering a car for.

There were alot of kids there..I do mean alot..

Yea, it was really testing my patience all day long. I'm only 22 and I feel like I'm turning into a cranky old man already, haha! I guess it's just because I've been visiting Busch Gardens Tampa as my primary park for the past few years. BGT has a much different crowd than KI - more families and adults, and less kids that got dropped off by mommy or daddy. :P