Kings Island Will Be The Place To Be This Memorial Day Weekend!

Following a season of death-defying stunts and high-wire thrills, Kings Island is at it again in 2009! This Memorial Day weekend will feature some of the world's top athletes in BMX Vert, skateboarding and motocross. On top of all of these high-flying thrills, the weekend will also features skyjumpers, an extended fireworks display and a FREE concert by the multi-platinum band Collective Soul!

X Games stars John Parker (BMX) and Danny Mayer (Skateboard Vert) will be available to meet fans, sign autographs and pose for photographs at Kings Island on Friday. Click here to see a full report on the ASA Sports press conference held on May 15th!

The schedule of events for the weekend is as follows:

SATURDAY, MAY 23

9:00am - Gold Pass Early Rides – Diamondback & Beast

10:00am - Team FASTRAX Skydivers & National Anthem

10:00am - Park Opens to the Public

1:15pm - FMX Show – Main Gate

2:00pm - BMX Vert Prelims – Tower

4:15pm - FMX Show – Main Gate

4:30pm - LoveSick Radio Concert in Showplace – (no ticket necessary)

5:30pm - Skate Vert Prelims – Tower

7:15pm - FMX Show – Main Gate

10:00pm - Team FASTRAX Skydivers Night Pyro Jump

10:00pm - Rozzi’s Famous Fireworks Show – 4 Times the Normal Size!

SUNDAY, MAY 24

9:30am - Gold Pass Early Rides – Diamondback & Beast

10:00am - Team FASTRAX Skydivers & National Anthem

10:00am - Park Opens to the Public

12:45pm - FMX Show – Main Gate

1:30pm - BMX Vert Finals – Tower

3:15pm - FMX Show – Main Gate

4:45pm - Skate Vert Finals – Tower

6:15pm - FMX Show – Main Gate

7:00pm - Free Concert in Timberwolf POP EVIL and COLLECTIVE SOUL

10:00pm - Team FASTRAX Skydivers Night Pyro Jum

10:00pm - Rozzi’s Famous Fireworks Show –4 Times the Normal Size!

All activities, including the concerts, are FREE with park admission! Mark your calendars now ASA Sports coming to Kings Island Saturday May 23rd and Sunday May 24th!

Do you want the latest information sent directly to your cell phone? Sign up for KICentral's official mobile club and receive text alerts with the latest news and information about Kings Island! Signing up is fast and free! Click here for more information about KICentral's official mobile club!

Are you an avid Kings Island fan or do you casually visit once a year? It doesn't matter! KICentral.com is the site for you. Why not register on the forums of KICentral and tell us about your thoughts and experiences involving Kings Island! Registration is fast, FREE, and easy. Don't forget to keep checking KICentral.com for the latest news, rumors and information about Kings Island amusement park!

Well, aside from the absence of the racing fans (who surprisingly don't make up the majority of the population), anyone else have a guess how busy the park will be memorial day weekend? I know it will be busy, but if I'm looking at 2-3 hr wait times all day then I might not want to go. Any educated guess is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you go to the park a lot and are very familiar with the park, days when the park is insanely busy or when you cannot ride anything but the mildest of rides for other reasons can be among the most fun ones you will ever have at the park. Focus on other things the crowd is not..go to the regular shows that day, ride rides you would normally skip, people watch, do the opposite of the crowd, observe how employees do (and some don't do) their jobs, think about what goes into the park, observe the weather, take a book and read it in Tower Gardens, take a family member who doesn't like to ride and spend the day with them, watch the abundant wildlife in the park--from raccoons to deer to birds to teenagers and the occasional robust senior citizen tackling every thrill ride in the park, etc.

As for your question, much depends on the weather, even on holiday weekends...

I can honestly say that when I compared the fun I've had recently at Kings Island to the fun I had at Cedar Point yesterday, that I really wasn't as sad about driving away from CP as I was last year, which is a lot coming from me. My second to last Kings Island TR was when I was sick, tired, dehydrated, and sunburnt.. yet I still went to KI. It's not just Diamondback.. something is drawing me in and holding my interest.

Don't get me wrong. CP is an amazing park and I did have a great time yesterday, but aside from Millennium Force, Magnum, and seeing friends I hadn't seen in months, it just didn't hold the same level of excitement for as it did last year.. kind of like an "I've been here before" feeling.

If its anything like last year expect huge lines for every ride. You probaly will only get about 5 rides in if you stay there all day long.

I went Memorial Day Weekend (Saturday) last year, and I didn't think the lines were that bad.

I booked a hotel room, and got two day passes about three weeks before they announced this event (besides the weather forecast, I'm a little worried). Sigh. Someone always has to tinkle on my parade.

I can honestly say that when I compared the fun I've had recently at Kings Island to the fun I had at Cedar Point yesterday, that I really wasn't as sad about driving away from CP as I was last year, which is a lot coming from me. My second to last Kings Island TR was when I was sick, tired, dehydrated, and sunburnt.. yet I still went to KI. It's not just Diamondback.. something is drawing me in and holding my interest.

Don't get me wrong. CP is an amazing park and I did have a great time yesterday, but aside from Millennium Force, Magnum, and seeing friends I hadn't seen in months, it just didn't hold the same level of excitement for as it did last year.. kind of like an "I've been here before" feeling.

Really? I kind of feel like that about KI at the moment.. I don't want to feel like this, but yet I do. I love KI with all my heart, yet I just don't feel as excited about it as I used to.. :\ Maybe it's because I'm getting older or something.. I just don't know.

Really? I kind of feel like that about KI at the moment.. I don't want to feel like this, but I just do. I love KI with all my heart, yet I just don't feel as excited about it as I used to.. :\ Maybe it's because I'm getting older or something.. I just don't know.

RWW re-energized my excitement for the park. (Which I am guessing CF was going for with this event.)

I think meeting a lot of you and hanging out did the majority of the work, but the addition of DB didn't hurt either. Getting on The Beast was always my #1 reason for making the trip to KI, but DB has put it at #2.

Back on the topic of Memorial Day Weekend, you will not see me anywhere near the park this weekend. To busy for me. If you happen to be at Dale Hollow Lake though, I am staying at Wolf River Resort and you will catch me on the water on a blue, white, and purple Sea doo. I will more than likely not be taking my KIC shirt! :P

RWW re-energized my excitement for the park. (Which I am guessing CF was going for with this event.)

I think meeting a lot of you and hanging out did the majority of the work, but the addition of DB didn't hurt either. Getting on The Beast was always my #1 reason for making the trip to KI, but DB has put it at #2.

Back on the topic of Memorial Day Weekend, you will not see me anywhere near the park this weekend. To busy for me. If you happen to be at Dale Hollow Lake though, I am staying at Wolf River Resort and you will catch me on the water on a blue, white, and purple Sea doo. I will more than likely not be taking my KIC shirt! :P

I have also been re-energized to visit the park this year due to 2 things: Diamondback and KIC (which I found looking for DB info last fall). And totally agree with the moving of Beast from #1 to #2. In fact, I went to the park both Saturday and Sunday this week and didn't ride Beast once (one night on DB, one afternoon in Nick U with the kids) which has to be a first for me!

Off-topic: Have fun at Dale Hollow - I really miss my PWC days :(

Why do they even bother being open? Everyone's going to be at the Indy 500. Or watching it at home.

What? I live about 10 minutes from the track and can hear them practice if I am outside in the yard. I have only been to 1 race in my life and have no desire to do that again. I can count on my hands the number of times I have actually been on track property. I am more into The Racer, than car racing at the Indy 500.

This is opening weekend for the Water Park and daily operations, it will be very busy. Hence, why I am excited about it being open during the week now so I can use some of my vacation days for a day trip to KI!

Welcome to KIC by the way!

Why do they even bother being open? Everyone's going to be at the Indy 500. Or watching it at home.

What? I live about 10 minutes from the track and can hear them practice if I am outside in the yard. I have only been to 1 race in my life and have no desire to do that again. I can count on my hands the number of times I have actually been on track property. I am more into The Racer, than car racing at the Indy 500.

This is opening weekend for the Water Park and daily operations, it will be very busy. Hence, why I am excited about it being open during the week now so I can use some of my vacation days for a day trip to KI!

Welcome to KIC by the way!

I totally agree, I have lived in or just outside of Indy my whole life and as much as I love the race and the drivers, i have never been to one of the Indy 500's (my dad would kill me for not saying Indianapolis as he is a racer through and through and says only people from outside of Indiana say INDY 500) I have been to other events at the Track but never the race itself, it is just better to stay away and let the out of towner's mess with the crowds. We always find it better to stay home cookout and listen to the race on the radio.

So i will also by pass KI for the same reason this weekend but I am planning on June 2nd for a nice trip! Tuesdays at the park rule!

Just checked the weather forecast for this weekend and it's looking good. (Source: Fox 19 Cincinnati)

Friday- Sunny, 83 Degrees

Saturday- Sunny, 82 Degrees

Sunday- Sunny, 82 Degrees

Monday- Mostly Cloudy with a chance of T-Storms, 77 Degrees

^You'll get through it. Take it from someone who worked in Admissions for 10 years, the busiest days are the days that just fly by, as long as you don't think about how busy you are. Don't look at how far the line goes, just get into a groove and work as fast and efficiently as you can. Help one person at a time. You'll be so relieved at the end of your shift that it's over! If you have time after your shift, a ride on Diamondback will make any stress you have left go away! ;)

^You'll get through it. Take it from someone who worked in Admissions for 10 years, the busiest days are the days that just fly by, as long as you don't think about how busy you are. Don't look at how far the line goes, just get into a groove and work as fast and efficiently as you can. Help one person at a time. You'll be so relieved at the end of your shift that it's over! If you have time after your shift, a ride on Diamondback will make any stress you have left go away! ;)

Truer words have never been spoken. Although for me it was only a few months instead of a decade. And it was usually a ride on The Beast or Top Gun at the end of my shift. :)

Trust me on this. Some day you will look back and remember these as some of the best days of your life. Enjoy working in the park. Yes, there are bad days, but the good far outweighs the bad. And the people you meet and the lessons you learn you can, should you choose, carry with you the rest of your days.

Terpy, who knows these things

If its anything like last year expect huge lines for every ride. You probaly will only get about 5 rides in if you stay there all day long.

I went Memorial Day Weekend (Saturday) last year, and I didn't think the lines were that bad.

I booked a hotel room, and got two day passes about three weeks before they announced this event (besides the weather forecast, I'm a little worried). Sigh. Someone always has to tinkle on my parade.

Were was at the same park. I was there that Saturday and It was jammed packed. They had cars parking in the grass. I think I rode two maybe three rides all day long.

Were was at the same park. I was there that Saturday and It was jammed packed. They had cars parking in the grass. I think I rode two maybe three rides all day long.

I'm pretty sure we went on Sat. I dont think it was Sunday. It rained in the morning. The longest wait was for Firehawk. We rode SOB three times, and I cant even tell you how many times we got on the The Beast. I lost count!

Truer words have never been spoken. Although for me it was only a few months instead of a decade. And it was usually a ride on The Beast or Top Gun at the end of my shift. :)

Gee Gabe, thanks for pointing out it was a decade and making me feel old! :lol: And that's not even taking into account the other 6 years I worked at the park before Admissions...

...and says only people from outside of Indiana say INDY 500

That's interesting...I am in Illinois and my family always just calls it "The 500". In my youth my family always went to the time trials every year...but I have only been to 1 race...I would rather watch the race on TV, but just listening to the cars and Tom Carnegie's voice over the P.A. made the time trials worth while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFEVCwteJoo