old top gun photos?

pkifootballer

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well let me figure out how to upload pics on here and I will add some of the original themeing and track.

Add them to photobucket.com, and when you add them to your post click on the Insert image icon and add the url link to the photo.

Wow that brings back memories of standing in line almost three hours to ride this the first year it was open! Thanks for the pics. Oh and I can also see the old Monorail in that first picture. Too sweet!

Very vaguely do I remember waiting in the extra queue under the station in 1996.... I remember waiting out past the two jets, I thought they were awesome.

Also... to see the red... look anywhere where the wheels touch the track, you can see the red paint. However, the red paint is worn too. You can see the actual steel itself if you look hard enough.

I would not like to see this ride be taken out... If you sit in the front you get some pretty big swings. Especially on the turn into the break run! NOt only that, I think it is by far the most reliable steel coaster in the park to be honest with you.

I say make it floorless.

For me, riding in the very back is the most enjoyable, as the swings are the greatest.

I miss the theming. I can understand the removal of the TOP GUN / Paramount theming, but why get rid of the airplanes, radar dish, etc?

And is that a guy in a flight suit and helmet in one of those photos?!?!? Did they have ride ops dress up at one time?

Yes, as far as I can remember, the crew did wear flight uniforms just like they did in the movie. All the themeing worked like it was supposed to. Thought I had more pics of the lower deck where the "computers and radars" are/were but I haven't found any yet.

^In my opinion riding in those Suspended Arrow cars is one of the best parts of the ride, I don't think it would be as enjoyable without them.

you know they make suspended swinging cars that don't have a floor.

I know, but I would rather not have my feet dangling above a mosquito infested ditch, and I love Arrow anything :lol:

• 1 month later...

Wow these pics are amazing, I never got to experience the true Top Gun ride so I am tickled to death to see these old pictures. I would still love to see the old pictures from underneath the station. I did not know there were like radars and stuff like that down there though, interesting...

Posted from my iPhone!!!

IMG_0003.jpg

My how the view has changed over the years!!

Wow Look At King Cobra

This is a great memories photo - I really miss King Cobra and used to enjoy riding the monorail through the wild animal habitat. But I'm also confused by the photo as I would have bet money (and obviously lost) that the monorails were gone before Top Gun opened (but timeline says it happened in reverse at beginning and end of 1993). This leads me to a couple of questions:

- What are the various buildings located in this picture? I'm thinking that the monorail station is the building withe the vertical piece on top above KC station. Assume the white building at left of picture is monorail maintenance/storage. What is the building above KC loop?

- Where did the queue for Top Gun start and go? I'd have thought it would be visible in this photo, but can't seem to place it.

The TOPGUN que is just how it is today. Notice the Action Zone restrooms? The entrance for TG would of been to the left of that where is it today. The monorail was closed in 1994. And soon after EXtreme Skyflyer would be added to where the monorail station is in the photo.

IMG_0003.jpg

My how the view has changed over the years!!

Wow Look At King Cobra

This is a great memories photo - I really miss King Cobra and used to enjoy riding the monorail through the wild animal habitat. But I'm also confused by the photo as I would have bet money (and obviously lost) that the monorails were gone before Top Gun opened (but timeline says it happened in reverse at beginning and end of 1993). This leads me to a couple of questions:

- What are the various buildings located in this picture? I'm thinking that the monorail station is the building withe the vertical piece on top above KC station. Assume the white building at left of picture is monorail maintenance/storage. What is the building above KC loop?

- Where did the queue for Top Gun start and go? I'd have thought it would be visible in this photo, but can't seem to place it.

im sorry, but when was this taken?(about)

Yeah, they were taken the year Top Gun opened....I remember driving up the interstate and seeing the billboards announcing it. The old themeing is probably still there...if I remember correctly, they just have the "garage doors" closed blocking the stuff that was there from view and protecting it from the elements. I doubt they would have went through the trouble of removing anything...

• 3 weeks later...