Possible to fly out of DB?

HandsUp

I'm sure this was a key element of the design, but the rides over the weekend made me wonder if it is in ANY way possible that someone could slip out of their seat even with the clamshell in place. I love the feeling of weightlessness, and the times that I left some airspace between my lap and the pad were some amazing rides. One time, the attendant pushed the pad down another notch, but other times, they just pulled up to make sure it was locked.

It seems like it would be very difficult (even with an ample gap), to squirm out of that seat-even if you were trying..at the same time, I don't want to be unsafe.

With the exception of a catastorphic systems failure of the primary safety system, as well as the AT LEAST two redundant safety systems, there is no conceivable chance of ejection from Diamondback. There is absolutely no way the Authorities having Jurisdiction would allow a ride to be opened to the general public that was intentionally designed to put human life at risk... nor would any manufacturer engineer or build such a ride. Now, on the subject of ride-ops attempting to staple you in the ride, I have found a method that stops that from happening, as have a number of others I am sure.

Riding a rollercoaster is certainly a lot safer than changing a lightbulb in your house.

I showed my coworkers the pics of me on DB that KI Man took, and they all said I was nuts, especially with the open air design and those restrains. My response was that I am a lot safer ridding on DB 230 ft in the air than riding a motorcycle on the ground!

No, it certainly is NOT possible to fly out of DB. Unless of course, you give yourself way too much room. I'm sure no ride attendants would allow that.

Now, on the subject of ride-ops attempting to staple you in the ride, I have found a method that stops that from happening, as have a number of others I am sure.

What would that method be? I always end up stapled, except last Saturday on DB, I had so much room. :D

No, it certainly is NOT possible to fly out of DB. Unless of course, you give yourself way too much room. I'm sure no ride attendants would allow that.

Now, on the subject of ride-ops attempting to staple you in the ride, I have found a method that stops that from happening, as have a number of others I am sure.

What would that method be? I always end up stapled, except last Saturday on DB, I had so much room. :D

I just curl my hand into a fist and place it on my lap right where the restraint would be going down at. That way if the ride ops do try to staple you, they can't get the restraint down any farther cause your fist is in the way.

I really, REALLY don't think it is possible to fly out of Diamondback, if you don't do something stupid and the restraints are how they are supposed to be. There is just no way. Even with saying that, I'm still afraid of the restraint opening when going up and over hills because that is the only thing holding me in place. It's scary.

I do the exact same thing, Justin. :lol:

I scoot my butt forward a little, or lift my legs up a little, especially when I see a stapler coming. On my second ride on MF Saturday, Dvo and I were in the very rear seats. The ride op came by, barely tugged on the seatbelts and left our lap bars as is. We both had about 2-3 inches of space.

Same with Magnum. I had JUST buckled my seatbelt in the back seat, and didn't get a chance to adjust it (there was about 6 inches of slack between me and the seatbelt). She barely tapped my lap bar, smiled and kept walking.

^There is a stapler on The Racer who loves to find some empty space and replace it with a nice lap bar. Every time he's checked my bar I have it at a good spot and he pushes it lower. I know it's for safety but I'm not a skinny little kid.

Whenever I ride DB with my friend Sean (Mr. Smiley) we try to keep our bars up as high as we can, using several different methods. Honestly, as long as I can see that black line on the bar I feel perfectly safe, even though I get the feeling that I am slipping out of my seat when going over a couple of the hills. I dont think it is possible to fly out, unless the bar is so loose that you cant see the black line ;) .

I've got the feeling of slipping a few times on DB especially during ERT at the event. Although I know it is perfectly safe, I still get a creepy feeling from time to time. For fun though I like to do what Ogrmac termed as "The Superman"/ Lean forward as much as possible on the first drop with your fists out. It makes the slipping feeling even more outrageous. Although I spent our second to last ride of the night screaming, "NO MORE SUPERMAN". We were in the very back seat, a place where you usually won't find me...

Also, I was a victim of The Racer stapler during ERT. I felt like they was trying to get the second click on a person that barely fits. I was smashed... on a ride I fit fine on.

Also, I was a victim of The Racer stapler during ERT. I felt like they was trying to get the second click on a person that barely fits. I was smashed... on a ride I fit fine on.

You should thank them. The way those restraints are designed, they only have a maximum of 4 clicks. On both The Beast and The Racer, all riders are required to lower the lap bar a minimum of 2 clicks in order to ride. Had you not been able to get the second click, you would NOT have been permitted to ride. Technically, it is not the ride operators responsibility to get your second click if you cannot get it yourself. They could have simply not permitted you to ride.

But the dummies aren't as dumb as some of the human dummies that will ride it are....

I can just hear one of them now:

"Watch this!..."

Rides must now be designed to restrain even those who do not wish to be restrained...

Haha! I don't know whether to laugh because it's funny or frown because it's true.

I have a fail proof anti-staple method. Hasn't failed me yet. Even with the infamous Racer stapler!

Pretty sad when you think about it that we all are familiar with a particular ride op because of his method of checking restraints.

Posted from the backless BlackBerry mobile device.

You should thank them. The way those restraints are designed, they only have a maximum of 4 clicks. On both The Beast and The Racer, all riders are required to lower the lap bar a minimum of 2 clicks in order to ride. Had you not been able to get the second click, you would NOT have been permitted to ride. Technically, it is not the ride operators responsibility to get your second click if you cannot get it yourself. They could have simply not permitted you to ride.

ummm read that again... he says he FELT like it was trying to get the 2nd click.

Stalker, who has met Agent, and he does not have that problem :P

ps. i know that stapler too. he tried to get me all the way to the full 4 clicks i swear and i finally told him off... he kinda runs away from me when i come in now :P and i learn to sit on the other side

I've been stapled by a ride op on The Racer too. I would have been fine left as I was, too, but I DID mind because I don't exactly have short legs being 6 feet 3 inches tall. I understand safety, but it was ridiculous. Another click would not have been possible to do. In regards to flying out of Diamondback, no, it's not possible as long as the restraints are in the right place and they do not fail.

I can get more than four clicks on a PTC ratcheting bar so that's not what the limit is,at least on KD's woodies.For some reason though the bars seem to be a much tighter fit than last year so perhaps they must've done something to them during the off-season.

As for DB:there's no way you are gonna slip out of those restraints,B&M know what they're doing from the engineering side of things & as long as a rider doesn't do anything stupid to try to defeat the safety systems they should be just fine.

I was tired when I read this thread's title. I was thinking "whose airport code is DB?" :rolleyes:

Then I drank some coffee, and...

They let us go on our first ride with only 2 clicks on my wife's restraint. She, for good measure, held on to my right wrist with what I now call the "loving grip of fear".

-Tb, DB's fifth level of redundancy.

Some of the seats have a higher first locking position than others. The brown train especially seems to have more forgiving seats. The green train is less forgiving (especially the back seat) and red train is hit or miss. The test seat out front is the same as the tightest fitting seats on the train (such as rear seat, green train) but many seats are more forgiving and appear to only require 2 clicks to ride. As long as you can see the black line at the base of the pole, you're clear.

It's a slightly snug fit for me on the test seat and the tighter seats, but on the looser seats, I actually could take it another click if necessary and choose not to. 2 clicks (or a loose 3) is perfectly fine with me, though it does create that falling out sensation.