Nickelodeon Universe

fanofbigmedia

I mentioned on my mini-trip report that nearly all the Nick merchandise is discounted for fire sale----much like the Paramount merchandise was during the 2007 season.

I also noted some bargains on Scooby stuff.

Am I reading too much into this or are the Nickelodeon attractions, and perhaps Scooby's notsoHaunted Castle slated for rethemeing?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Nick stuff was discounted last year. Having said that, the license for the Nick theming, if I'm correct, ends at the end of this year, though I could very well be wrong, and Viacom is most likely to ask for a fortune for a renewal (A Fortune that Cedar Fair doesn't have), so I don't see Nick staying around much longer.

My inner conspiracy theorist has been saying since opening day that Nick U will soon be headed the way of the rest of Paramount. Here's my reasoning:

While I’m on the topic of Nick U, let me indulge my inner conspiracy theorist. Has the “de-Nicking” of the park begun? I suspect it has. There were four things I noticed that make me think this:

1. Marty’s Party – a totally separate show that has no affiliation with Nickelodeon.

2. Swiper’s Sweepers – the Swiper statue was gone from the middle of the ride

3. The Breakfast with the Characters banner at the front gate – What character is shown? It’s not a Nick character…it’s Scooby! Could HB be making a return next year?

And the biggest clue of all…..

4. The sign in the window at Nickelodeon Store – 50% off all Nickelodeon merchandise! Why else would they offer such a deep discount?

Let the 2010 rumors begin…

As the season goes on, I'll be looking for more clues to support my theory. Why do I suddenly feel like a member of the Scooby Gang? They would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for us meddling kids...

I mentioned on my mini-trip report that nearly all the Nick merchandise is discounted for fire sale----much like the Paramount merchandise was during the 2007 season.

I also noted some bargains on Scooby stuff.

Am I reading too much into this or are the Nickelodeon attractions, and perhaps Scooby's notsoHaunted Castle slated for rethemeing?

When I was there on Saturday there were no bargains for Scooby stuff. The stuff was really expensive and it wasn't on sale.

I have worked in the marketing research field and retail stores discount merchandise that is left over from the past year's inventory to make room for this years merchantdise. It does not mean that Nick Universe will be replaced anytime soon. Anybody that has gone to stores for the Friday after Thanksgiving sales know about all the discounted sale items. It is for the most part inventory left over from the past year or season. You will not see the new LCD wide screen TV's reduced but the prior year's inventory that is either been returned, reconditioned or left overs. Same here I bet.

Well, if the Nick stuff is still discounted in mid-season or later (when I go, most likely), then we will know that Nick Universe is going away. We just don't know what it will replace it. It's most likely going to be either Hanna-Barbera themed or Peanuts themed.

I know that FOC will be changed back to The Beastie. I'm just sure of it.

My inner conspiracy theorist has been saying since opening day that Nick U will soon be headed the way of the rest of Paramount. Here's my reasoning:

While I'm on the topic of Nick U, let me indulge my inner conspiracy theorist. Has the "de-Nicking" of the park begun? I suspect it has. There were four things I noticed that make me think this:

1. Marty's Party – a totally separate show that has no affiliation with Nickelodeon.

2. Swiper's Sweepers – the Swiper statue was gone from the middle of the ride

3. The Breakfast with the Characters banner at the front gate – What character is shown? It's not a Nick character…it's Scooby! Could HB be making a return next year?

And the biggest clue of all…..

4. The sign in the window at Nickelodeon Store – 50% off all Nickelodeon merchandise! Why else would they offer such a deep discount?

Let the 2010 rumors begin…

As the season goes on, I'll be looking for more clues to support my theory. Why do I suddenly feel like a member of the Scooby Gang? They would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for us meddling kids...

And also, even though this change was made before this year, the Cosmo and Wanda faces were taken off of FOC.

As I've said before, I will not be suprised if we get a Cartoon Network themed Kids are next year. Just look at this: Knott's Berry Farm (Cedar Fair) is now partnering with Cartoon Network for an event for the little ones themed around Cartoon Network called Get Animated. I'm thinking this is a huge preview of what is soon to come to KI's kids area.

• 4 weeks later...

Nick Universe will be gone after this year, Cedar Fair attempted to renew the contract with Viacom and they weren't interested, as far as what it will be? that's speculation even to me. My advice: go in and get your nick pictures now

Oh, Viacom was interested...very interested. They just wanted more Scooby Snacks than Cedar Fair was willing to pony up, so to speak...or so it appears.

ohh. gotcha, it was jut what i had ended up hearing from one of the bigger guys up there

I dont know but IMO, if Cedar Fair switches from snoopy to cartoon network due to the event at Knott's, then that would be a wise choice. Sure, Nick is great for kids but if you think about it nick has been moving more towards live action and turning into the new Disney. Also, many of the shows that theme nick u no longer run on tv or are reruns whereas cartoon network is staying more with animation, becoming more popular with kids, and once spongebob stops running, will be the more popular network.

Given the current financial situation, I wouldn't necessarily bet the farm that Peanuts will come to the former Paramount Parks or that H-B will return. Either would require licensing at no small expense.

Isn't the Peanuts gang at CP? If so, doesn't that mean CF already have the lcensing for it?