Best Roller Coaster to ever grace KI

McSalsa

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beast is and always will be the biggest baddest wood coaster ever made!

Well, the "biggest" part is no longer true, it's Son stands at nearly twice as tall, and there are lots of wooden roller coasters that have surpassed The Beast in size, but the father is still the baddest. And that is what counts the most.

Flight of Fear FINALLY GOT A VOTE! AFTER AN HOUR AND A HALF! I'm shocked it took this long, since that ride had a long line and was very good (but my vote still goes to Beast, then Diamondback before FOF).

To this day, no wooden coaster is longer. Isn't that part of size?

Yes, true...now that I remember, I was playing RCT2 and was comparing some wooden coaster re-creations, and in length (and size), The Beast just crushed them all except SOB, but it wasn't anywhere near the tallest.

I felt guilty doing it, but I didn't vote for The Beast. Maybe I'm too influenced by the newness of Diamondback, but given a choice to ride just one ride at KI ... that was how I made my decision. This doesn't take anything away from the awesomeness of The Beast, it just speaks to how cool DB is in my mind.

While Diamondback is new and, in my opinion, a slightly better ride then Beast, as much as I hate to say it there are plenty of coasters out there similar to Diamondback.

There is only one Beast.

Diamondback broke no records (at least none the GP would care about) The Beast broke them in bulk. Diamondback recycles elements from similar rides. Beast is one of a kind. Diamondback did not set a new standard for roller coaster technology. Beast is a landmark, defined what a roller coaster could be.

There is only one Beast.

Not very faithful renditions. Not at all...

The Beast is a terrain coaster. It was not built on a table or in a parking lot. Nor does it look even remotely like that.

I know, but RCT makes it really hard to do big helixes and stuff. Look at the SOB recreation. That's about as good as you can do...as far as making realistic coasters, NoLimits is a lot better, but I don't have NoLimits, and don't know if you can compare 2 coasters next to each other.

2 hours in...Beast is still #1 at 16 votes, Diamondback stands at #2 with 8...and in 3rd is Son of Beast with 5. I'm actually a little shocked SOB is in the top 3, although I have never rode it (it was broken when I was there on May 16th) but I have heard things about it like "Worst Coaster Ever", "Very Rough", etc...and then you have Flight of Fear, which is supposed to be one of the best coasters at KI, getting a mere 1 vote...

This was a hard vote and I haven't rode some of the old ones and haven't made it to ride Diamondback yet, I can't give a complete opinion in the matter. That said, I voted for Son of Beast. I love The Beast and I think it done a lot for the park and for wooden coasters. I voted for SOB as much for the idea as I did the ride. It is an incredible feat of engineering. It said to everyone look a wooden coaster CAN do this, sure there was some back in the late 1800's that looped once whiplashingly but they were not even close to the height or the speed. I think SOB is part of the reason why we are now seeing more and more wooden coasters being built. Just wait and see what great things Gravity Group may have in store for us with the Timberliners. Hmm, come to think about it Kings Dominion has been fan to many prototypes, what if they got something crazy from GG.

This was a hard vote and I haven't rode some of the old ones and haven't made it to ride Diamondback yet, I can't give a complete opinion in the matter. That said, I voted for Son of Beast. I love The Beast and I think it done a lot for the park and for wooden coasters. I voted for SOB as much for the idea as I did the ride. It is an incredible feat of engineering. It said to everyone look a wooden coaster CAN do this, sure there was some back in the late 1800's that looped once whiplashingly but they were not even close to the height or the speed. I think SOB is part of the reason why we are now seeing more and more wooden coasters being built. Just wait and see what great things Gravity Group may have in store for us with the Timberliners. Hmm, come to think about it Kings Dominion has been fan to many prototypes, what if they got something crazy from GG.

So that is why SOB is getting votes...yes, the idea of SOB was actually a good one. I was actually pretty mad the day I went that it was closed because SOB was one of the rides I wanted to give a try, along with Diamondback, The Beast, Firehawk(Didn't ride it either because of the line), etc. It didn't ruin my day though.

The Beast, hands down. And yes, Son of Beast "CAN do this" but it also hurts like he** while it's doing it ;). The Beast is tried and true, and will go down in history as one of the all-time greats.

The Beast, hands down. And yes, Son of Beast "CAN do this" but it also hurts like he** while it's doing it ;) . The Beast is tried and true, and will go down in history as one of the all-time greats.

And this poll sure is showing how much love The Beast gets. As for SOB getting some votes, it seems some people don't care too much about pain caused by some roller coasters. I rode Vortex and the restraints hurt me every time the rode went upside down (6 times!), but I still enjoyed the ride. It did, however, hurt my impressions of it.

I felt guilty doing it, but I didn't vote for The Beast. Maybe I'm too influenced by the newness of Diamondback, but given a choice to ride just one ride at KI ... that was how I made my decision. This doesn't take anything away from the awesomeness of The Beast, it just speaks to how cool DB is in my mind.

While Diamondback is new and, in my opinion, a slightly better ride then Beast, as much as I hate to say it there are plenty of coasters out there similar to Diamondback.

There is only one Beast.

Diamondback broke no records (at least none the GP would care about) The Beast broke them in bulk. Diamondback recycles elements from similar rides. Beast is one of a kind. Diamondback did not set a new standard for roller coaster technology. Beast is a landmark, defined what a roller coaster could be.

There is only one Beast.

I understand the argument for The Beast and against Diamondback - it's all in how you define "best".

Part of me wanted to vote for The Beastie/Fairly Odd Coaster as that was my first and I can see how it's creating another coaster enthusiast in my 5-year old at the moment.

There is only one Beast.

There is only one Beast.

I understand the argument for The Beast and against Diamondback - it's all in how you define "best".

Part of me wanted to vote for The Beastie/Fairly Odd Coaster as that was my first and I can see how it's creating another coaster enthusiast in my 5-year old at the moment.

I find "ever" to be the key word..... You must remember that The Beast was the greatest coaster in the world, by far!!, when it opened!!!!

In terms of an overall ride I HAVE to give it to The Beast. In terms of influence The Racer has my vote. If not for The Racer then The Beast might not have ever been built because The Racer started the second golden age of coaster building.