Friday May 22, 2009 TR

HTCO

I went to the park today.. was literally EMPTY until about 10 when all the schools started to roll in.. Ride count for the day..

Diamondback: 9

Beast: 1

Vortex: 1 (only one on the whole train)

FOF: 1

Racer: 2

AE: 3 (without getting off)

SOB:1

Had a blast today, but the main reason I made this thread is so I can talk about how I noticed at least 10 line jumpers today, and only did something about it twice. This line jumping business is getting WAY out of hand. When someone literally cut right in front of me on Diamondback, I was very furious to the point of almost calling a security guard. I just tapped them on the shoulder, pointed to the "Line Jumping Is Prohibited" sign. And asked them if they could read. I get really mad sometimes on the fact that workers see actions like this, and do nothing about it. I think next time I might have to drop down to guest relations and give them a word or two about the situation. But, they probably won't listen to a 15 year old...

I was at the park to day, got there around 3pm. When we got there there was alot of buses next to that prefer parking. Yeah I to noticed line jumpers, I can't under stand why the ride ops always call out for people sitting the hand rails, but they don't do anything for line jumping? Someone line jumped behind us on Diamondback, the security guard watched him then walked over and waited till the part of the line got to him then he made him leave. That was the only time I have ever seen anyone do anything about a line jumper.

I saw a line jumper today about 5 of them at once. I yelled at them and pointed them out. They said they had friends to meet and I told them I have a ride I would like to ride and to get back of the line. I let the ride assocate know of the problem I had with the guest and they said two parties must complain. So I guess if the guest don't care then why should the park. But honestly it sucks and it just makes me mad. Like they don't even care they are breaking the rules. The park needs to really honstely start enforcing it. Maybe make them sit some where for an hour or just kick them out. If you warn them how to you know what guest have been warned. Maybe do a strike system for pass holders. Scan the pass get a strike. 3 strikes in a season and your banned for this one and the next.

me and the family was there last night it was great, the log flume was running, ( i sure hope they never take it out) . The park was great,,,, and not to overly busy,,,, We rode rides the kids had a great time,, and When can we call The Beasty The Beasty again!!!

but hints in the nick shop almost all nick 50 percent off and new kids stuff is just Kings Island no characters????????

What is in store in 2010,,,

but for my tr the weather perfect! and great times, then went to the bob evans, general store, at the beach great food,

Kings Island will have a great year

The park has a serious problem with linejumpers now. The same with smokers doing so outside designated areas. And with bouncing basketballs. Guests with extremely foul mouths (and in some case foul apparel...some of which can be found IN the park for sale, complete with Scooby).

This could easily be the first step to the park becoming identified in potential patrons' minds as unsafe, a not good place to go, frequented by hoodlums. Losing control of guest behavior is a slippery slope process. The early signs are everywhere. Will the park nip this in the bud? Or will they, after several seasons of this, wonder why fewer families come, why group sales are down, why attendance is down quite a bit, why they suddenly have a reputation like that Six Flags got under the Gary Story regime, particularly at Six Flags America and Six Flags Elitch Gardens?

Controlling guest behavior to make a more pleasant environment for the vast majority is a choice. Not doing so is also a choice. Which will it be?

Terpy is absolutely right, this is a road you do not want to go down at all. Unsafe, frequented by hoodlums is tough to recover from. Whe i was a child my family went to KI once a year and it was a real treat to enjoy as a family in a fun atmosphere. I can only imagine if we had gone and had to deal with line jumping, spitting, swearing, ect. I wonder if we would have eventually stopped going. It sounds crazy, but in an atmosphere like that, eventually enough people do stop going to hurt business badly. Failure to control unpleasantness has already destroyed the mall i always went to as a child (Salem Mall) and have fond memories of, i would rather not see this happen to a great place like KI.

I have noticed on days like today, with a lot of school groups coming. There seems to be more spiting, swearing, line jumping, I'm not saying every one does it just the some of them. I've also heard about that reporting line jumping and then hearing two party's need to say the same thing. Well one or two party's not haven't to say anything if the park will enforce there "No Line Jumping" policy, if the park doesn't want to do anything about it then they have lost the park then. Were from all that KI is closing in the Six Flags rep on all that.

I think next time I might have to drop down to guest relations and give them a word or two about the situation. But, they probably won't listen to a 15 year old...

You're still a guest, and no person can see what goes on everywhere. I'd say tell them about it because they can't fix what no one says is broken.

I saw a line jumper today about 5 of them at once. I yelled at them and pointed them out. They said they had friends to meet and I told them I have a ride I would like to ride and to get back of the line. I let the ride assocate know of the problem I had with the guest and they said two parties must complain. So I guess if the guest don't care then why should the park. But honestly it sucks and it just makes me mad. Like they don't even care they are breaking the rules. The park needs to really honstely start enforcing it. Maybe make them sit some where for an hour or just kick them out. If you warn them how to you know what guest have been warned. Maybe do a strike system for pass holders. Scan the pass get a strike. 3 strikes in a season and your banned for this one and the next.

The strike system is a good idea but how many of these line jumpers are gaining access to the park via a one day ticket? The park made the rules, its up to them to enforce the rules, especially on an E-ticket like Diamondback.

on Friday there was line jumping left and right. mostly to these young black girls sayn ''scuse you scuse you" just pushing people to the side getting ahead and cutting by going under the handrails.

Time for another line jumping story!!

I was in line for SOB, about to get on and all of these African American's are in line about 15 or so? They are all about to get on. Then disaster strikes when the other half of there group caught up with them by totally making a big scene and going on about so.."I ain't waitin in that line! YO! (name inserted here)! Can we gets up there witch yo!" And A group of about 15 people cut the whole line in the station. And NONE of the ride ops did anything! they all watched like the rest of us. Finally I had to tell him, "Can you call security or something because they cut the whole line! Can't that get them ejected from the park?" He replied back with a "Yes it can but there isn't anything we can do about it". And by this time my ride already started so no security came, and my frustration was still at large.

Here's my philosophy.

If ALL of us go to guest relations and complain about specific line jumping instances where the employees refuse to do anything (especially when they witness it!), then the park will realize there is a problem. As it stands right now, the word is getting no farther than the closest ride op or security guard, so the park itself may not realize there is such an issue with enforcement of their rules.

They can't fix a problem they don't know about. I have had a ride op on Diamondback refuse to do anything about line jumping even though three groups complained and one op was going to kick them off, and that really, really upset me. I didn't go to guest relations about it (this was about a month ago) but I should have, and in the future I will. I will also take down names of the ops or security personnel that refuse to do anything about it, along with descriptions of the person or groups to commit the line jumping to include in my complaint.

I have noticed there is a particular security guard that watches the Diamondback line like a hawk. I want to give a big kudos to him because I appreciate that he's there watching it most of the time. I saw him remove two different groups of line jumpers during one of my 30 minute waits yesterday and I noticed that in general, Diamondback line jumping was a lot less prevalent.

I was there yesterday morning with my wife. On the ERT for DB I noticed a rather large woman dressed like she was a homeless tourist walking past us as we waited. When they finally started letting people enter at 9:30 I noticed her quite a ways in front of us!! I had 3 rides on DB in 20 mins we then rode FOF walked around a bit, watched all the school kids flood in while sitting by the fountains and left. I hate seeing all the kids in the park. Most are rude and lack supervision. Had the same problem on Thursday at the Reds game. A group of kids sitting in the rows in front of us couldn`t sit still, constantly standing in the aisle blocking the view, and the adult with them was just as bad. Missed the first two outs while they looked for seats. I usually avoid the days before school ends but was in town and wanted the ERT. But I agree with everyone it seems that more and more is being tolerated with by park management these days. Something needs to change.

I saw an interesting line jumping incident develop on Diamondback recently. Two ~16 year olds were walking around the outside queue rails (the unused portion) to meet up with their family/group (about 10 minutes into the 30 minute wait). A well intentioned ride op came running after them and told them there was no line jumping allowed (I was ready to applaud her!). The group said that they'd been to the bathroom, had asked the ride op at the entrance, and he'd said it was ok. She said she'd check, went back, talked to the other ride op who looked over at them and then nodded. Is it too hard to ask for some consistency - have a rule and follow-it.

... sounds like some of you want Big Brother...

Maybe I'm alone here, but I haven't noticed any line jumping, but that might be because I go to have a good time, and not to go out of my way to see what rules are being broken.

I certainly don't mean to be rude, but it seems like some of the readers/posters in here, sure do get there panties in a twist over something so small and insignificant. And I'm sure there will be those that say one thing leads to another that leads to another and so on, and that may be true, but the park knows. People cut lines everywhere, amusement parks, the airport... been to an NYC subway station?

If you want to be a line jumping police officer... go work at a park...

or maybe even better, since some people feel so inclined to say something to line jumpers... maybe you could manufacture "line jumping is not a sporting event...." sandwich boards to parade around in at the park... serving as a friendly reminder.

Oh well... just my opinion of course

I have not seen much line jumping. At CP last Sunday, there was a girl in front of me that kept calling back to a group behind us and telling them to come join her. They did not. I was so glad because I am not one to allow such things.

The thing that has been bothering me is the loud obnoxious people in the queues that yell, scream, swear or sing at the top of their lungs. Half the time one of them is bouncing a basketball.

That's a very good point DaveS. As much as I hate line jumping, those basketballs bouncing everywhere is much more annoying. They seem to be everywhere these days too. I'm still waiting for the day one of them ends up in the splash down pool. As far as the spitting goes, that is worse than the basketballs and line jumpers combined. Every time I am waiting in line for SOB, people are spitting all over the place. I am waiting for the day to come that someone spits off the top ramp and gets someone on the bottom one. Terpy is exactly right with what he said too. Families and other groups will start to shy away from the park if they continue to be spit on while in line, line jumped, cussed at, and bounced to death with basketballs. I guess this is a sign of the times we live in now. It is really kind of sad.

to bad that when we come together as a group we dont run across those type of people and point them out like the plague

yessss....I really wish we could. Had a line jumper in FOF awhile back, at least 3 at the same time... I told the people, ( kinda made it aloud) that the line jumpers (in front of them) were line jumping.... thery just made a smitty remark like, well ... "what can we do about it".... Guess I'll just learn to live with it...

That's a very good point DaveS. As much as I hate line jumping, those basketballs bouncing everywhere is much more annoying. They seem to be everywhere these days too. I'm still waiting for the day one of them ends up in the splash down pool. As far as the spitting goes, that is worse than the basketballs and line jumpers combined. Every time I am waiting in line for SOB, people are spitting all over the place. I am waiting for the day to come that someone spits off the top ramp and gets someone on the bottom one. Terpy is exactly right with what he said too. Families and other groups will start to shy away from the park if they continue to be spit on while in line, line jumped, cussed at, and bounced to death with basketballs. I guess this is a sign of the times we live in now. It is really kind of sad.

Amen to that!!

I certainly don't mean to be rude, but it seems like some of the readers/posters in here, sure do get there panties in a twist over something so small and insignificant. And I'm sure there will be those that say one thing leads to another that leads to another and so on, and that may be true, but the park knows. People cut lines everywhere, amusement parks, the airport... been to an NYC subway station?

It's hard not to notice a line jumper! Yes, there is line jumping everywhere but a park rule is a park rule. No matter the situation. And you are right, if they don't start with the so called insignificant problems. The even bigger problems will escalade. If the park shows they won't tolerate it. Then the guests will know not to break rules, even rules so small. And that is why I preffer to be an un-offical ;ine jumping police officer. It's for the good of the park. :)

Which is why I suggested to the poster in that thread that he contact Mr. Richard Kinzel. That is now my standard suggestion to complaints about line jumping, smoking and basketball bouncing. Perhaps if HE gets enough letters and complaints, something will be done. It is NOT security's fault. It is apparently management's philosophy at Kings Island NOT to confront those who misbehave. Apparently, any decision to reverse that must come from above.

With all due respect, would you say:

1. So, I see that you were a passenger on a commercial airline flight and the pilot was drunk and crashed causing you to be injured? Too bad for you! If you want to be a "drunk pilot police officer", go work for the airline or the FAA!

2. So, a city bus driver ran a red light and broadsided your car? Too bad for you! If you want to be a "bus driver police officer", just apply for a job as the supervisor of city bus drivers.....

3. So, a doctor performed surgery on you and left a piece of medical equipment inside you? Too bad for you! If you want to be a "surgery police officer", you need to work for the hospital.....

I hate to say this, but all of those examples use the same logic as your argument.........

My point is, when we pay money to go to the park or for any other service, we purchase just that, a service. And expecting that service to be delivered in a quality manner is certainly not unreasonable.

'"It is apparently management's philosophy at Kings Island NOT to confront those who misbehave."

Its a good thing you say things on this message board in jest so often, otherwise people might think you actually believe that statement to be gospel truth.

It seems interesting that topics like line jumping, smoking and other park policies come and go like the tide, or perhaps the swine flu.

I could not disagree with "The Interpreter" more when suggesting a person writes to the CEO of Cedar Fair. To me, that says the patron feels they are more important than anyone else and furthermore will bypass the system of checks and balances the park has set up to handle and respond to guest inquiries and complaints.

Line jumping is nothing new and it will never go away, unless you're in a chain gang (... im here all week)

Since the current bandwagon is to moan and complain about the big nasty line jumpers that terrorize Kings Island, I figured I would share my most memorable line jumper story.

While in line for The Beast, a young lady no older than 14 or 15 was passing through the line trying to catch up with a group of her friends. As someone who does not feel the need to say something I let the girl pass, as did many more in front of me. After the girl had moved significantly farther ahead an adult woman who was standing there with her young son said something and it ended with "... everyone is equal and we all have to learn to wait our turn". On so many different levels, to me, was that appropriate thing to say. Not said in spite or hate, just said very plainly and matter of fact like. The best part, she dropped it, as I did, immediately.

So - to those from the park who read this, let me be the first to say thank you for making all of my visits this year, and in years past so enjoyable because of the things I never even see or notice!

...and what is with the capitalization of the word 'not' so much?

as always, just my opinion...