Friday May 22, 2009 TR

HTCO

Every customer has the right to write whomever they please about their experiences with the park, positive or negative. How the park/Cedar Fair decides to handle that input is their choice. Just as how potential customers choose to spend their money is their choice. And the word NOT was capitalized as it was due to the writer's shock at the park's apparent course of inaction. I cannot believe what I am seeing and hearing at Kings Island this year when it comes to linejumpers, smoking and bouncing basketballs. Just as I could not believe a couple of years back what I heard about sexual innuendos and worse at Halloween Haunt. The park rectified much of that (especially a certain 'attraction' where the park employee demeaned those of different mental abilities than the norm...that came to an immediate halt after the first weekend).

Sure a person has the right to send a letter to whom ever they want. I could write the president if I chose to. But as someone who acts as though they are rather knowledgeable in the ins-and-outs of amusement parks I am baffled why you would not suggest to a patron to follow the appropriate chain of command, so to speak, in filing a complaint.

Perhaps you could offer a suggestion of something else to do with a basketball...

should you get a complimentary pump with that too?

or should you have to go to the sporting goods store to buy a 15 dollar pump for your 3 dollar basketball?

... and since its been suggested time and time again, and we still have inflated basketballs... I'm inclined to think the inflated ball is staying

My last visit to The James (google it and you'll figure out why I was there) I was on a 2 separate IV pumps that both made, what sounded to me like, a tennis ball being struck. Let me tell you, I was unable to move and with the both of them going in the middle of the night I felt like I was court side at Wimbledon for 9 days

I still managed to tune it out...

No...as has been suggested here before, the park could offer inflating at the park exit...either complimentary or for a few nickels. Is it really worth aggravating the hundreds and hundreds of other guests to allow dribbling basketballs all over the park? Apparently the park's answer is yes. And many of the games cost far more than three dollars these days...

BavarianBeetle,

You take my comment to the absolute extreme...

however...

How do you think organizations such as MADD, GLADD, PFLAG, AMFAR and so on and so on come to fruition?

I meant no disrespect, and I hope you did not take that as a personal attack....

But consumers who spend money for anything from a five cent piece of bubble gum to a multi million dollar home should have the right to get what they paid for.

In the case of an amusement park, what is expected for the price of a ticket or season pass is a clean park, free from obnoxious punks, and an entertaining and enjoyable family experience. In other words, what the consumer expects is FUN! If that is not delivered, the consumer can, and should, complain....

Sometimes you have to skip a step, and go to the top to get matters fixed. If KIGR doesn't appear to be listening, and I assume that KI Management isn't listening either as I am willing to bet someone in KI's management reads KIC. Then the next step is to go to corporate. However, any letter sent to Cedar Fair will be sent to the park that the letter pretains to. On one hand, this means corporate is aware of the issue, and may deal with it, but on the other, corporate may wait for more letters with the same issue before taking action. I am willing to bet that if enough people follow Interpreter's suggestion then someone will stand up and do something about it.

hundreds and hundreds...

and the park entertains millions and millions...

What are your thoughts on gum chewing? Or crying babies? Or the stinky guy in front of you in line?

To me, I understand getting irritated with the line jumping as after all it is a rule. I just don't ever see deflated basketballs as a prize to be won, although at some point it might happen... Who knows?

Im curious as to how many complaints the park gets annually on the bouncing ball factor

BavarianBeetle,

I take zero offense to your statement at all...

I totally agree that you should get what you pay for without a doubt.

The park should, as it does, enforce rules. But as everyone knows, the reality of the situation is, you can't get everyone. I think patrons of Kings Island are pretty fortunate to be able to enjoy a safe, family environment. Yet there are some who don't feel this way and do choose to voice a concern. And this being my main point, when making a complaint, be humble and start at the bottom of the totem pole, and work your way from there. Firing off letters to a corporate office isn't where I would start.

You never know what changes can happen from someone other than a CEO :)

I certainly don't mean to be rude, but it seems like some of the readers/posters in here, sure do get there panties in a twist over something so small and insignificant.

Small and insignificant like posting only to spite The Interpreter?

Victoria's Secret is running a huge sale that ends Monday. If you're looking to get a good deal on panties, since it always seems yours are in a twist, I'd stop by one of their locations. You can find the one nearest you at http://www.victoriassecret.com/

I believe the poster in the other thread was recommended to write to the CEO because, while it may not end up flat on the desk of Mr. Kinzel himself, Kings Island pretty much gave the poster the impression that they do not care for his side of the story and were going to do nothing to rectify the situation. The behavior of a few employees tainted his view of all of them. This happens in all kinds of customer service oriented industry all the time. Kings Island's Guest Relations office would be the ones he would need to speak to, according to him; he tried. Also according to his story, nothing was done. Time to start moving up the ladder at that point, if so inclined.

Ok, we could all go on for at least 1000's of posts about line jumping, so I'm going to spare a bunch of pages of civil argument. We are all entitled to our opinion's here. Line jumping, no matter if its a big rule or a small rule, is still a rule. It doesn't matter if your White, African American, Latino, Martha Stewart, or Cartman. The rules still apply to all guest or patrons at the park. That being said, the park has the right to take away your privilege to attend Kings Island if necessary. Remember, being at the park is a PRIVILEGE not a RIGHT. It is their property, and their rules. Now when it comes to complaining and such, yes I would write to Mr. Kinzle himself. That is if it was to the point where I can't even enjoy the park without worrying about flappin line jumpers! But before taking that approach, or even getting security involved. TALK to the line jumper, not yell/scream/shout/put down. Ask them politely to go to the end of the line, and explain why the line jumper can not jump lines... Now can't we all just agree to disagree here?

A very idealistic attitude. I really don't think most park patrons want to be in the business of confronting line jumpers, though. As someone who often goes to large parks in the Northeast, it is not necessarily an approach I would recommend to most.

Just as most people who drive wouldn't want to confront speeders.....

A very idealistic attitude. I really don't think most park patrons want to be in the business of confronting line jumpers, though. As someone who often goes to large parks in the Northeast, it is not necessarily an approach I would recommend to most.

Just as most people who drive wouldn't want to confront speeders.....

It's those who don't that I'd like to confront!

That's a very good point DaveS. As much as I hate line jumping, those basketballs bouncing everywhere is much more annoying. They seem to be everywhere these days too. I'm still waiting for the day one of them ends up in the splash down pool. As far as the spitting goes, that is worse than the basketballs and line jumpers combined. Every time I am waiting in line for SOB, people are spitting all over the place. I am waiting for the day to come that someone spits off the top ramp and gets someone on the bottom one. Terpy is exactly right with what he said too. Families and other groups will start to shy away from the park if they continue to be spit on while in line, line jumped, cussed at, and bounced to death with basketballs. I guess this is a sign of the times we live in now. It is really kind of sad.

I have been spit on in one of the loops on Vortex.....if I had been sure of the offender, I would have been ejected.....

NASTY!!!!!!

If you are ever spit on at the park or in public, notify security IMMEDIATELY. It is considered by law to be assault and can also transmit infectious diseases.

Spitting is a big pet peeve of mine, right up there with line jumping. It isn't just digusting, it can also be very dangerous if the person is HIV positive. If you file charges, the spitter will have to undergo a blood test to determine whether it is simple assault or assult with a deadly.

I went to the park today.. was literally EMPTY until about 10 when all the schools started to roll in.. Ride count for the day..

Diamondback: 9

Beast: 1

Vortex: 1 (only one on the whole train)

FOF: 1

Racer: 2

AE: 3 (without getting off)

SOB:1

Had a blast today, but the main reason I made this thread is so I can talk about how I noticed at least 10 line jumpers today, and only did something about it twice. This line jumping business is getting WAY out of hand. When someone literally cut right in front of me on Diamondback, I was very furious to the point of almost calling a security guard. I just tapped them on the shoulder, pointed to the "Line Jumping Is Prohibited" sign. And asked them if they could read. I get really mad sometimes on the fact that workers see actions like this, and do nothing about it. I think next time I might have to drop down to guest relations and give them a word or two about the situation. But, they probably won't listen to a 15 year old...

A thought just occured to me:if anyone has their camcorder or even a cell cam with them they can just record the whole incident & then forward that footage to GR so that they can see from a firsthand perspective just how out of control the situation is getting.I think that's the course of action I may take myself in the future when it comes to dealing with this situation myself.

The park has a serious problem with linejumpers now. The same with smokers doing so outside designated areas. And with bouncing basketballs. Guests with extremely foul mouths (and in some case foul apparel...some of which can be found IN the park for sale, complete with Scooby).

Exactly. It clearly states in the map (I picked one up for commemorative reasons), that no offensive material shall be worn. And what do you know. In line for Diamondback last week I saw a very offensive shirt. It said swear words, but that was not even the most offensive part. I will not repeat it. Also, yesterday I saw two offensive shirts, waiting for Diamondback to start running again. It seems that the behavior in the park is getting out of hand.

Exactly. It clearly states in the map (I picked one up for commemorative reasons), that no offensive material shall be worn. And what do you know. In line for Diamondback last week I saw a very offensive shirt. It said swear words, but that was not even the most offensive part. I will not repeat it. Also, yesterday I saw two offensive shirts, waiting for Diamondback to start running again. It seems that the behavior in the park is getting out of hand.

I completely agree with that last sentence. I have also seen some very offensive shirts warn around the park. Not only is it rude and inconsiderate of others, its just terrible class. What if a child where to see the shirt?

I saw a shirt yesterday that basically used the Harley logo, but changed the words....My 6 and 7 year old were with me...

Luckily, we have had very detailed discussions about what words are "adult only" words (yes, my 7 year old is getting very good at sounding out words and figuring out what they are....and standing behind the lady we had plenty of time for him to do so)....

The only clothing-related offense I saw yesterday were women who felt the need to show off their bikini tops in the main park rather than wearing shirts like they're supposed to. Some of them looked like the bikinis were a size or two too small as well.