is it just me?

IBEW_Sparky

Has anyone else on these boards noticed how agonizingly SLOW Beast is running this season? The helices through the tunnels feel great due to the retracking done during the offseason, but the rest of the ride just seems a lot more over-trimmed than usual. Every time I have ridden it this season, I feel like I could literally step off of the ride going through the tunnel after the first series of trims. Maybe I am just getting too used to the ride, but I still feel it is going far slower this season.

No, you're not getting used to it, The Beast IS getting slower. The one part that is HIGHLY trimmed is the straightaway before the second tunnel. I remember flying through that tunnel years ago, but now you just kind of mosey along. It defeats the purpose of it in my opinion.

Has anyone else on these boards noticed how agonizingly SLOW Beast is running this season? The helices through the tunnels feel great due to the retracking done during the offseason, but the rest of the ride just seems a lot more over-trimmed than usual. Every time I have ridden it this season, I feel like I could literally step off of the ride going through the tunnel after the first series of trims. Maybe I am just getting too used to the ride, but I still feel it is going far slower this season.

I have felt that too. Going down the first drop you probably lose 10mph. by that trim. Than you get excited for the Ravine Drop but you nearly stop from that trim and the rest of the ride is slow until the double helix which is amazing.

There's a Trim on the first drop

There's a Trim before the second drop (It's been what, 4 seconds since the last one?)

There's a Trim on the straight away before the second tunnel (By FAR the worst, slows you to a near stand still)

There's a Trim on the drop after the second lift

The Beast is one of the best coasters in history, a fantastic ride, but the trims are murder, pure murder, on the ride. I've been starting to think for quite a while that, perhaps Jeff Gramke ENJOYS the feeling of hitting a trim!

And, yes, it feels slower to me too.

I noticed on Friday that the straightaway before the second tunnel absolutely kills the speed and I did not like it.

Also, I do not like the trim going down the second lift hill into the helix.

I'm pretty sure I had a trimless ride on The Beast last June. Went on it right after rope drop and the trims did not slow the train down in the straightaway or before the helix. Of course this was my first ride and I didn't know what to expect....

It seems to run slow in the morning, but is crazy fast at night. I had last ride of the nite last summer and it was pretty wild!

It also seems to run much faster if there is a full train, which there always is at nite, vs in the morning its normally a half empty train.

I noticed this this year when rode. It seems like it got easier. The straight-away seriouly decreases the speeed. I have some sort of theory why they added all the trim brakes. Maybe to avoid wear and tear on the ride or some where in that catagory. Even still I'm not completely sure why the did that.

...I've been starting to think for quite a while that, perhaps Jeff Gramke ENJOYS the feeling of hitting a trim!...

Mr. Gramke has a medical condition that makes riding extremely hazardous at best. He has often said he has not ridden coasters in years. That being said, he has also made his preferences against airtime aka negative g's on coasters quite well known.

The Beast is one of the best coasters in history, a fantastic ride, but the trims are murder, pure murder, on the ride.

Actually, The Beast, without the trims is murder, pure murder, on the ride, itself. Thats why the trims are there. People just dont understand. As stated a million times, The Beast has always had trim brakes, always in the same locations. The Beast maintains the same speeds it always has, the only difference is that the magnetic trims are more abrupt than the old skid brakes. The magnetic trim brakes are the same brakes they've always been using, in the same locations. Beast1979, I'd like to know exactly what you're comparing your experience to as you were as you were likely 5 years old the last time that The Beast had skid brakes.

Honestly, the reason it feels slower is likely due to the fact that the re-tracking has made the ride smoother, causing the ride to seem less out of control. At least when the ride is rough and you're bouncing around, it feel's like it's going faster.

I have some sort of theory why they added all the trim brakes. Maybe to avoid wear and tear on the ride or some where in that catagory. Even still I'm not completely sure why the did that.

Exactly! This is a 30 year old ride. We have to take things like stresses, strain, wear, and tear into consideration if we expect the ride to last another 30 years.

I've noticed it mainly on the covered bridge before the 2nd tunnel as well as going down the 2nd big hill. It is a little tamer, but as mentioned, it's in the best interest of the structure itself. It gives me goosebumps reading the ACE plaque out in front, and just walking through the line brings back a million great memories. The Beast is historic, and there is really none other like it..I'd like to keep it around.

That being said, I think it still packs a pretty good wallop. On Monday I heard some kids deciding what to ride, and one said 'The hill on The Beast isn't that tall-is it?'...'Oh no, it's not that tall'...as if a smaller drop makes it any easier to handle. A few weeks ago, I was going solo and rode the front seat with a kid who was about 14...going up the hill, he told me he'd never riddin' it. Let's just say he didn't know what he was getting into, and was very impressed.

Plus, if you want speed and roughness, go to SoB...it has gobs of rough wooden intensity.

Look, I never said I WANTED to have the everloving crap beaten out of me on a ride. If I wanted that, I would ride that worthless piece of garbage at the front of the park. I also never said the trims werent there for a valid reason, so you can take that statement/arguement and do something with it as well. I also seem to recall praising the feel of the ride in the helices going through the last tunnels due to the retracking... so I am obviously aware of that (the lighter color wood indicates such, even if it wasnt noticeable in the "seat of the pants"). I stated that IN MY HONEST OPINION that the ride felt a whole lot slower this season than last, especially around the area that Tom confirmed. It seems to me that there are enough individuals in this thread backing my feelings/statements to give it some validity. It seems to me that my post count must not be high enough to start a thread on something I feel is true, so I will NOT be making that mistake again.

It seems to me that my post count must not be high enough to start a thread on something I feel is true, so I will NOT be making that mistake again.

Now don't think like that. The day you stop speaking your mind about something you believe in is the day that you take some freedom away from yourself. You started a topic and people agreed with you on something. This shows that you're not alone and, therefore, the post count doesn't matter.

It seems to me that my post count must not be high enough to start a thread on something I feel is true, so I will NOT be making that mistake again.

Now don't think like that. The day you stop speaking your mind about something you believe in is the day that you take some freedom away from yourself. You started a topic and people agreed with you on something. This shows that you're not alone and, therefore, the post count doesn't matter.

Sparky - I've got to agree here. Please don't allow your post count to stop you from starting a thread. I have to admit to being surprised your post count was where it it because I've been reading your posts for as long as I've been here.

As to the topic - I disagree with the feeling of Beast being slower this year - to me it feels similar to what I remember from the last couple of years in total (and yes it is a very different feel from the old skid brakes). But, I can understand and respect your opionion because I've also felt that it runs different (faster, smoother) based upon the different time of day, part of season, weather, and other factors over the years.

The second tunnel is horrendously boring this year. I don't remember it being such a leisurely enclosed stroll in the past. I have actually said this year that it might have been better when the tunnel was split into two tunnels because right now it just drags on and on and on and doesn't add anything to the ride.

I still enjoy Flight of Fear with the MCBR active. Just not as much as I did when it wasn't.

I find the magnetic trims and what seems to be more abundant use of them (I've heard it explained as 'sections' of magnets within each trim location can be activated and deactivated by maintenance as deemed necessary) to incredibly decrease my enjoyment of Beast. I believe without trims or with reduced trimming (such as when it had skid brakes) would keep it above Voyage as my number one wood coaster, but I wouldn't be surprised if it even fell out of the number 2 spot it currently holds as I ride more coasters and realize just how much this ride has been tamed.

The second tunnel is horrendously boring this year. I don't remember it being such a leisurely enclosed stroll in the past. I have actually said this year that it might have been better when the tunnel was split into two tunnels because right now it just drags on and on and on and doesn't add anything to the ride.
This from the person who said that there are two coasters that use tunnels correctly... Voyage and Beast! ;):lol:

I remember flying through that tunnel years ago, but now you just kind of mosey along. It defeats the purpose of it in my opinion.

Hmmm... I remember enjoying rides on Flight of Fear then they started stopping you at the mid course.

I will say that that is ridiculous. Heck, we run the same number of trains as Joker's Jinx and they dont even have brakes installed at that point in the ride. It's simply a straight piece of track.

Flight of Fear has the same number of trains as Joker`s Jinx, but each train does NOT have the same number of cars. Joker`s Jinx has six cars with 24 people per train. Flight of Fear on the other hand has five cars per train for a total of 20 riders per train.

...I've been starting to think for quite a while that, perhaps Jeff Gramke ENJOYS the feeling of hitting a trim!...

Mr. Gramke has a medical condition that makes riding extremely hazardous at best. He has often said he has not ridden coasters in years. That being said, he has also made his preferences against airtime aka negative g's on coasters quite well known.

Mr. Gramke also spoke about Diamondback last year at KIC day. His statement was "we're not going to check it at the mid-course". You see how far that went. Not only do we get a serious speed check there, but at a trim brake as well. Good grief.

I am glad I'm not the only one that has noticed the speed on Beast this year has been dialed back. Just so you know, they added yet another block of magnetic brake to the shed before the second tunnel this week too.

As stated a million times, The Beast has always had trim brakes, always in the same locations. The Beast maintains the same speeds it always has, the only difference is that the magnetic trims are more abrupt than the old skid brakes. The magnetic trim brakes are the same brakes they've always been using, in the same locations. Beast1979, I'd like to know exactly what you're comparing your experience to as you were as you were likely 5 years old the last time that The Beast had skid brakes.

I knew the whole Beast crew the year the magnetic trims were added to the ride, and while they would publicly tell you that old skid brakes slowed you down just as much, the real story is they knew the magnetic trims reduced the speed. I forget the exact figure, but I think something like 54 mph? It's been awhile. It was common knowledge that with the skid brakes that the train would reach the third post on the second lift hill before the chain took over the train's momentum. After the magnetic trims, it only reached the second post.

I'm not arguing that the ride isn't tearing itself apart without trims, I'm just saying the magnetic trims did infact reduce the train's speed moreso than the old skid brakes.

So you knew me Dan? Cool...

With regards to the speeds, after the magnetic breaks were installed the speed of the train passing through the shed was more consistent, reaching speeds of 31-32 miles per hour. If the train exceeded 33 mph through the shed (in the skid days), was considered a no no, as Im sure Shaggy can attest.

I think the most fair statement regarding the magnetic breaks is they deliver a more consistent speed through the course. I might have misread a previous post, but when the magnetic breaks were installed it was explained that in order for the intensity of the earth magnets to be altered, additional sections of magnets would have to be added.

Beast feels the same to me as it has in the past, nothing really new, just fun as usual. Aside from those miscellaneous rides after park closing when the shed break would be dropped... intense but good times nonetheless...