millennium force cable

I was look around pointbuzz forum and saw they were talking about something may have happened with MF's cable this morning.....

some one say this

Millenium's chain flew off the drop!!! Its hanging on the hill!

here picture look like cable was hanging around on drop

1243522840051.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It look like similar happen in 2001

(Sunday, September 2, 2001) - At Cedar Point Park in Sandusky, Ohio, thirty park employees were left stranded on the Millennium Force roller coaster after a cable broke, stopping the train which was carrying the workers about 275 feet up the 310-foot tall lift hill. All of the passengers were evacuated from the ride in about an hour, and none of them was injured. The ride is closed, pending repairs.

http://www.rideaccidents.com/2001.html#sep2b

Yowza that doesn't look good. Almost looks like the catch car released the train then the cable snapped somewhere on the lift allowing the catchcar's momentum to carry it over the lift hill with nothing to hold it back.

At best just a snapped cable. At worse snapped cable, damage to the catchcar, damage to the trough the catchcar rides in and maybe more.

Cables get old. Its a weather thing if its out in the weather like it is for too long. I know that Dragster did the same thing when it launched the car sending metal flying into the first 2 rows hitting people. Its better for it to happen now then for it to happen when it gets real busy in the summer.

^ Unfortunately it may be a bigger problem than just a broken cable. The cable is hanging on the drop side of the lift hill so many (Pointbuzz had a lot of post that seemed logical and informed) are thinking the catch car may be damaged. It only seems possible for the cable to get on the drop side if the catch car had crested the hill. The question is how much damage was done when the catch car came to the end of it's track. Would it just slam into a steel dead end? Is there some type of safety brake? Was track damaged?

^

Yeah Millie could be down for quite some time. A steel cable under tension can do great damage when it breaks. I have snapped a few in my life hauling logs and have seen them almost cut a large full size tree in half. I believe the Mythbusters were almost able to cut a pig in half with a steel cable that broke under tension.

Yeah... I've seen that episode of mythbusters. It reminded me of the unfortunate Kentucky Kingdom accident although not a completely similar situation.

The concern I have is can that cable just sway in the breeze like that, hopefully the situation doesn't become worst. The train disengaged properly I hope because there could be damage to that as well...

Whoops. That looks like it's going to suck.

They've only got 8 days before the beginning of quite possibly their largest annual event, and a lot of people aren't going to be happy (and may not even show up, since it's on-site registration) if Millie is still down. I would still attend because I appreciate CP's complete collection, but I will be very, very sad if it's not running by then.

^ Unfortunately it may be a bigger problem than just a broken cable. The cable is hanging on the drop side of the lift hill so many (Pointbuzz had a lot of post that seemed logical and informed) are thinking the catch car may be damaged. It only seems possible for the cable to get on the drop side if the catch car had crested the hill. The question is how much damage was done when the catch car came to the end of it's track. Would it just slam into a steel dead end? Is there some type of safety brake? Was track damaged?

When the catch car went over the top (I beleive it was said it did), a lot of damage could've definitely been done. There's probably some sort of stop at the top, so that was probably broken. Tehn, wh the catch car fell down a couple hundred feet, it probably swung back towards the track, slamming into the track. If that was done, I would say damage was done to the track, seeing as the catch car isn't too lite and it had a lot of momentum falling downwards. So, the cath car, cable, possibly a stopping device at the top for the catch car, and track may have to be fixed. I'm no expert, but that will take a while. I know, it's a lot of maybe's, but most of those are probably likely's. (Oops, I did it again by using probably). Maybe CoasterRZ would like to chime in, as he is just about to graduate from college with this type of knowledge.

*pretty please :) .