millennium force cable

I was at CP today for ride night, and was not near Millie during the incident. From Frontier Trail, it looks like the catch car was mangled, it could have also been an illusion because of the angle. This incident also has foced the closure of the CPLE do to the track runs next to the lift. With the train down, it made for lots of walking to and from Frontier town.

In a side note, Corkscrew's white train is getting put back on track.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The maintance Cedar Point does on all rides is the best in the state if not the USA. Most rides at the park havent had any major breakdowns(not counting Top Thrill) do to bad maintance. Most rides at the park have been down do to parts going bad or an accident. Force broke down before either 06 or 07's Coastermania. The replacement part for the coaster which came from a company in Ohio went bad. The day of Coastermania, Intamin flew in a guy with the part in hand to fix the coaster. The part for the coaster was for the lifthill. I beleave it was the gear for the lift. I know im going to Coastermania even if Force isnt going.

If it wasn't for Millie, Maggie, and Raptor, I probably wouldn't even go to Cedar Point in the first place.

But Millie was the reason for my first ever trip to CP, the reason for my username, and the towering steel beauty in my avatar. I honestly don't know how I will react if Millie isn't fixed by CoasterMania.

CP&LE, 2 Beautiful carousels, A very rare racing carousel, first generation Intamin free fall ride, and a shwarzkopf are all good reasons to go to CP

(phantomtheater who has gone to cp for a day and not ridden any of the big five (Millie, TTD, Mag, Raptor, Maverick)).

Doesnt the catch car go over the top though?

While the catch car does crest the lift it does have an eventual stopping point where the track becomes solid so I would make a safe bet that there may have been some damage to the track when the catch car slammed into it & who knows? that whole section of track may need to be replaced as a result.

It wouldn't suprise me if the ride ends up being down for a good portion of,if not the entire season.

Doesnt the catch car go over the top though?

While the catch car does crest the lift it does have an eventual stopping point where the track becomes solid so I would make a safe bet that there may have been some damage to the track when the catch car slammed into it & who knows? that whole section of track may need to be replaced as a result.

It wouldn't suprise me if the ride ends up being down for a good portion of,if not the entire season.

I can't find any legal pics that show it but the end of the catch car track is completely open, I've seen pics that undenialby prove it. If you look closely at pics showing the damage, what you see is the catch car attached to the lead cable that pulls it up the hill. It's (the catch car) what you see hanging, not just cable. It was still attached to the cable that pulls it up the hill. That cable exits the catch car track and shortly afterwards heads straight downward, through the main track (below the lift hill) and then heads back to the station. That cable is hanging on the point where it goes through the track and the catch car is still attached hanging beneath (in the pics). I can't imagine it wasn't damaged.

Sorry I can't repost the images bacuase of internet blocks at work.

Next issue, Thanks SOBTom! People need to not be so quick to place blame. We don't know that it was caused by poor maiintenance. Millennium Force is an engineering marvel and a major piece of equipment. Things are going to break on record and groundbreaking coasters. Thinks of how may circuits have been completed on it. I am hurt to see something I enjoy so much broken but I'm not going to immediately assume someone is to blame.

Get well soon Millie!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lightning behaves in mysterious ways. It may have hit a part of the coaster not designed for that - just because the top of it is the tallest thing doesn't mean that's necessarily where the lightning will go..

Anyway, looking at the Sandusky Register's webcam, it looks like they're already hard at work on Millie. There's a crane up at the lift hill. As long as it isn't something they'll have to order and wait for parts for, I wouldn't be surprised to see them have it up and running for CM.

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/registercam/

thanks kat that cam is awesome, it has a great zoom I zoomed right in like i was standing right next to the first hill!

so angie how are you taking this, I hope we don't have to put you on suicide watch!

Nothing in my life would ever happen that would drive me to such a catastrophic and final thing.

Angie, who has been depressed due to past events in her life, but has too much to live for and fights through it all

so angie how are you taking this, I hope we don't have to put you on suicide watch!

Nothing in my life would ever happen that would drive me to such a catastrophic and final thing.

Angie, who has been depressed due to past events in her life, but has too much to live for and fights through it all

sorry guess i need to check my jokes sometimes!

Most likely, Intamin has a warehouse somewhere on U.S. soil where they have replacement parts on hand. Or most likely, aftermarket parts could be sought to replace the one that is currently broken, to have it up and running by Coastermania with the part in route, then the other part installed during "scheduled downtime," I.E. end of season.

I honestly think it will be down for a long time, if not the entire season. Maybe the track is badly damaged and the whole piece needs to be replaced? Thats no overnight job. Also, keep in mind that after they get everything fixed, it won't idmeatly open to the GP. The state of Ohio has to come out and make sure it is safe for the GP.

The state of Ohio will already have an inspector there when the maintenance is done on the ride, and that is so the ride can open fully as quick as possible. So thats a non-issue really.

And with an incident like this, don't quote me, but I think that MF will have to go through its normal season warm up cycles. I believe that once the cable is replaced, it should be good to go.

The state of Ohio will already have an inspector there when the maintenance is done on the ride, and that is so the ride can open fully as quick as possible. So thats a non-issue really.

And with an incident like this, don't quote me, but I think that MF will have to go through its normal season warm up cycles. I believe that once the cable is replaced, it should be good to go.

When it tests, I think it will test like how a brand new coaster would.

Most likely, Intamin has a warehouse somewhere on U.S. soil where they have replacement parts on hand. Or most likely, aftermarket parts could be sought to replace the one that is currently broken, to have it up and running by Coastermania with the part in route, then the other part installed during "scheduled downtime," I.E. end of season.

They tryed the after market part thing for a gear for the lift one time. It lasted all of maybe 2 weeks to a month before it went out. The part was made in Toledo, Ohio.

why? if it's only the cable broke, it's not like they had to re-configure a whole section of the ride like when they removed the loop on Son of Beast, it's more like if they changed the chain on say king cobra.

why? if it's only the cable broke, it's not like they had to re-configure a whole section of the ride like when they removed the loop on Son of Beast, it's more like if they changed the chain on say king cobra.

But they have to make sure everything works properly. They are not just going to put a new part on it and throw guests on it. They have to test it, make sure nothing else is wrong and make sure everything is working properly.

Well if they are smart they already have replacement parts and a game plan. I have worked with the Department of Agriculture and I'm sure they will be very thorough. I have changed out cables on Drop Zone and if its anything like that its very time consuming work.

Well if they are smart they already have replacement parts and a game plan. I have worked with the Department of Agriculture and I'm sure they will be very thorough. I have changed out cables on Drop Zone and if its anything like that its very time consuming work.

How does said person replace cables on Drop Tower?

I honestly think it will be down for a long time, if not the entire season. Maybe the track is badly damaged and the whole piece needs to be replaced? Thats no overnight job. Also, keep in mind that after they get everything fixed, it won't idmeatly open to the GP. The state of Ohio has to come out and make sure it is safe for the GP.

MilF is running right now!

MilF.jpg

http://www.funcoast.com/funcam