Kings Island and...Tornadoes!?!?

McSalsa

Just wondering, how many times has Kings Island been hit by Tornadoes? I do know that one in 2003 knocked down the original park sign, and that something of the sort hit SOB in 2000, delaying construction. But I have other questions:

#1-If the Tornadoes do hit somewhat often, how are rides, especially wooden roller coasters, surviving?

#2-Does Kings Island have a large storm shelter, just in case many people need to evacuate due to a Tornado/Severe Weather? If so, where is it?

BTW, I DO NOT WANT TO SEE A TORNADO HIT KI! I'm just wondering what would happen or if it has happened before, and am a little worried("What if one hit The Beast!?!?" :( ). My concerns come because I live in Indiana, and we get Tornadoes somewhat often here. Kings Island can't be too different and should get Tornadoes. Thanks.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The orginal sign was not hit by a tornado, but by a microburst...a totally different phenomenon...Ditto for Son of Beast...

Thanks for the update. I remember that now, that was what I meant for SOB, and now know that for the sign as well.

There are designated tornado shelters throughout the park, in which the ride ops and the other personnel are trained in helping guests to get to in the event of an emergency. Basically it would go like this:

The ride ops/personnel would get the call and would start to direct guests to the nearest tornado shelters, and then take shelter themselves. After the event was over, a person put in charge from KI would give the all clear, and everyone would be let out. As for closings, it would depend on several factors ranging from damage to psychological side effects from such an event.

To give an example of some of the designated tornado shelters: Under Action Theatre, underneath Showplace, underneath Bandstand, ANY bathroom, and parts of FoF, just to give some examples.

And as for the two examples you brought up, the sign was hit by a microburst, which was mentioned, and the SOB incident was straightline winds that took it over. From what I gathered from people who were working in other sections of the park, the wind was calm, and all of the sudden the freak wind came up.

Well, it doesn't look like a Tornado has ever hit KI...Microbursts, yes, Tornado no...I guess the park is in a good location to avoid them.

That's good. ;)

And if a Tornado did ever hit The Beast/Racer...they had better fix any damage and re-build it exactly as it is!

Although I'll bet there are people who want one to hit SOB...

Many years ago, tornadoes struck very near the Santa Claus, Indiana area during an ERT session at what was then Stark Raven Mad at Holiday World. We were herded by the park's owner, Pat Koch, into a gigantic giftshop, where we stayed for the duration. The winds did come, the rains did pour, and all survived, safe and sound...

During an ACE event at Stricker's Grove, tornadoes also made their presence known. ACE leaders were yelling for people to go their cars (about the worst place you could possibly be, according to the National Weather Service). I, and many others, hid face down in a ditch over by the train.

#2-Does Kings Island have a large storm shelter, just in case many people need to evacuate due to a Tornado/Severe Weather? If so, where is it?

I went on the day of the huge storm in September. They just evacuated the park. So I'm guessing not.

Edit: I guess they do have a shelter according to SOB_TOM.

Many years ago, tornadoes struck very near the Santa Claus, Indiana area during an ERT session at what was then Stark Raven Mad at Holiday World. We were herded by the park's owner, Pat Koch, into a gigantic giftshop, where we stayed for the duration. The winds did come, the rains did pour, and all survived, safe and sound...

Thank goodness. I assume Stark Raven Mad is now Holiday World.

OOPS! ME STUPID! :blink: Didn't read the entire thing, sorry.

Yes it's labelled. The entrance to it is in one of the trailer props by the exit area of the station.

There are also shelters in the waterpark. The back store room of the small shop inside the gate serves as one, along with the changing/bathroom areas.

I'd think the waterpark bathrooms are safer as they are solid masonry all the way around. Though the underground shelters are the best of course. I've seen other shelters that haven't been mentioned but can't remember where. I want to say there's one in SD&THC?

Posted from the backless BlackBerry mobile device.

Well, it doesn't look like a Tornado has ever hit KI...Microbursts, yes, Tornado no...I guess the park is in a good location to avoid them.

That's good. ;)

And if a Tornado did ever hit The Beast/Racer...they had better fix any damage and re-build it exactly as it is!

Although I'll bet there are people who want one to hit SOB...

I wish everyone would leave the Son of Beast alone!!! :(

I'm watching the weather carefully. You have to wonder, if KI sent people out to their cars the last time tornados were reported, if they were really thinking clearly.

I would rather get directed to a shelter than my car right now, that's for sure.

It might be beneficial to their insurance if they get people off property, but if someone died on their way home on the highway that was told to leave the park for tornadic activity, a lawyer could have a good case against the park I would think.

I don't know anyone who has used the tornado shelters at the park.

I think a roller coaster would with stand most tornados since they are mostly open aired structures.

You might think that, but you wouldn't necessarily be right. Tornadoes are strange beasts, and can totally demolish everything in their path, while leaving other things totally untouched....

I think a roller coaster would with stand most tornados since they are mostly open aired structures.

You might think that, but you wouldn't necessarily be right. Tornadoes are strange beasts, and can totally demolish everything in their path, while leaving other things totally untouched....

Plus, it's not just wind it is flying debris.