Kings Island and...Tornadoes!?!?

McSalsa

last year we had straight line winds hit grant county, and when they did it knocked out electricity to most of the county, caused the grant county marching band's simi trailor to spin around and be pushed all the way to the other side of the schools parking lot, destroyed a dug out and the football fields score board, and flipped the football teams trailors. (and this wasn't even including the rest of the county, just the high school) i personally think straight line winds are worse than tornadoes

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

last year we had straight line winds hit grant county, and when they did it knocked out electricity to most of the county, caused the grant county marching band's simi trailor to spin around and be pushed all the way to the other side of the schools parking lot, destroyed a dug out and the football fields score board, and flipped the football teams trailors. (and this wasn't even including the rest of the county, just the high school) i personally think straight line winds are worse than tornadoes

Then I can assume you haven't seen the damage an F-5 tornado can do.

skaterboy who has seen it, and it wasn't a pretty sight...

I know this is off topic, but the U. of Tenn. football arena has a basement. They store bones and dead bodies down in it. They do research on them. The bodies are given to them for research by familys or by the person who died. I seen this on a Modern Marvels episode.

I'm sorry to take this so off topic but I just couldn't let this stand uncorrected.

There are only bones below the stadium at UT Knox. No full bodies. These bones are the remains after a body is fully decomposed at the Body Farm, which is the only forensic research laboratory of it's kind. The Body Farm is used to study the decomposition of the human body under a multitude of conditions so that forensic scientists can better pinpoint a time and cause of death in real world cases. The bones are then used for anthropology studies. Bodies can only be donated through a grant made while the person is living. Believe it or not, there is actually a waiting list to be a donor for the Body Farm!

Sorry but the Body Farm is absolutely fascinating to me. I'd love to see it myself and study there if I do continue to pursue forensic biology and anthropology as I'm currently doing. I've read up on the Body Farm quite a bit. There are several documentaries dedicated to it as well, sometime you can catch them on Court TV or whatever their current name is for that station.

We can now return this discussion to it's regularly scheduled programming! :)

Posted from the BlackBerry mobile device.

I know this is off topic, but the U. of Tenn. football arena has a basement. They store bones and dead bodies down in it. They do research on them. The bodies are given to them for research by familys or by the person who died. I seen this on a Modern Marvels episode.

I'm sorry to take this so off topic but I just couldn't let this stand uncorrected.

There are only bones below the stadium at UT Knox. No full bodies. These bones are the remains after a body is fully decomposed at the Body Farm, which is the only forensic research laboratory of it's kind. The Body Farm is used to study the decomposition of the human body under a multitude of conditions so that forensic scientists can better pinpoint a time and cause of death in real world cases. The bones are then used for anthropology studies. Bodies can only be donated through a grant made while the person is living. Believe it or not, there is actually a waiting list to be a donor for the Body Farm!

Sorry but the Body Farm is absolutely fascinating to me. I'd love to see it myself and study there if I do continue to pursue forensic biology and anthropology as I'm currently doing. I've read up on the Body Farm quite a bit. There are several documentaries dedicated to it as well, sometime you can catch them on Court TV or whatever their current name is for that station.

We can now return this discussion to it's regularly scheduled programming! :)

Posted from the BlackBerry mobile device.

Thats what i was meaning to say. Lol. I seen that one on History the other day.

this is going to date me.... even though i'm not really that old...

its also going to embaress me. haha

many years ago... very early 90's, a nickelodeon show called "the elephant show" (think the wiggles today) was having a live performance at timberwolf.

i was very excited about this, because it was my favorite childhood show growing up. my family had got me tickets.

the day of the show, severe storms hit the mason area, and a very weak tornado destroyed a maintnence shed somewhere behind what was then waterworks.

no damage to anything major, and thankfully, the show still went on that evening... even though my older brother kept telling me that elephant was sucked up into a tornado and that i would never see him again....

haha, honestly, i'll never forget that day....

anyone remember this? or that show? haha

^That's funny, because I was also at the park that day with my younger brother for the Sharon, Lois, and Bram concert at T-Wolf. We were in the Paramount Theatre(? Or was it the American Heritage then, anyways....) when the weather hit and actually knocked out power in the theatre for a few seconds. After a quick phone call they went on with the show, but it was eerie when we went outside and nothing was running yet.

I thought I remember hearing on the news that night, that there was a very weak tornado that hit near the park, but I wasn't sure, and since I couldn't find any more information about it, I thought I would shy away from posting it....but I was there that day as well!

And just for the fun of it for people who don't know who the group was......and boy is this embarssing to know that I went to this concert (even though it was for my younger brother!)

:lol:

Stupid question but did anyone happen to take pics of the storm today at the park?

Couldnt see anything well enough to take pics-I was under the metal awning at the front gate throughout the storm, and when the sideways wind came in, we all got drenched. Everytime it would stop everything got still and eerie and then it would downpour again. I was in the Xenia tornado of '74 and same thing happened then as well. It also got really cold and the last time the humidity started to rise again.

Back to the original question, I dont know of anyone that took pics at the park, but Faeriewench got a pic of a funnel cloud at her house. I am hoping she posts it.

We were at the park this evening and had to take shelter in Action Theater at the 3D Sponge Bob attraction. Interesting basement the place has. Kudos to the area supervisor who handled everything well. It was a very interesting evening.

I didn't even know that place had a basement...

I don't know if it still is, but that used/is the Tech Services shop area. Did they have you in the storage area (big garage door on the one wall) or the actual shop?

And if you looked closely in there, many interesting tidbits are located throughout that shop...

At first, the employees told us that we had to go to Festhaus, which I thought was ridiculous! The wind was kicking up pretty bad and we had our two small children with us - there was no way I was going anywhere. About half of the people left to go to the FH, then 30 seconds later they all came running back with an area manager saying we had to take shelter there. They led us in single file past the theaters with moving chairs down some very narrow metal stairs into 2 rooms: one had a ton of indiviudual electric boxes (I assume one box was for each chair in the theater) and the other room looked like kinda of a storage/break room area for employees. There were other rooms down there, but they had those closed off. I'd say there were probably 50 people or so down there with us, including employees from The Vortex and surrounding games. My hubby did take pictures but they were with his phone and not all that great. The odd thing was - when we got the "all clear" to leave the building, we made it through the rain up to the Skyline Chili by the entrance and an employee there was making everyone go in that building saying there was another weather threat coming. We were looking at the weather warnings on my hubby's phone and saw that it was a thunderstorm warning. Then other people started to leave the skyline and the employee was no where to be found for us to ask what was going on. We decided to leave and make a run for our car. It was a very interesting night at the park! I'll try to see if I can post the pictures he took from his phone. I'm a new poster to these boards (long-time lurker) so I'm not sure how to post them. I'll try to figure it out! :huh:

I couldnt hear anything at the gate due to the sirens, the storm itself, and people being loud every time lightning struck. Only way I knew what was going on was when the sirens started.

We got locked in the Festhaus last night and they were herding people back into the kitchen area about 8-30 or 9.

Before everyone even got back there, they announced everyone was free to go!

Well, it doesn't look like a Tornado has ever hit KI...Microbursts, yes, Tornado no...I guess the park is in a good location to avoid them.

That's good. ;)

And if a Tornado did ever hit The Beast/Racer...they had better fix any damage and re-build it exactly as it is!

Although I'll bet there are people who want one to hit SOB...

I wish everyone would leave the Son of Beast alone!!! :(

When I read that, all I thought of was this video :lol: .

I kind of wish I went to the park tonight. It would have been interesting to see. I love storms and get excited when I see them developing. Tornadoes are such a awmesome force in nature. Its a shame when they take lives and destroy homes. Here in Cincinnati just had some lighting and some rain.

I also love it when it storms. I'm not saying I want a tornado, but I was dissapointed to not get hit by a storm last night. I live in Blue Ash, so at noe point we were under a Tornado Warning for the first storm that went through Loveland, so I did come close to getting a storm. Also, around 7 pm we got heavy rain and hail for about 10 minutes. It seems like the storms always go just north, or just south, of me, whether it's a snow storm or a thunder storm.

As far as the storm shelters at Ki, I guess I hadn't ever thought about it. I wouldn't have thought there'd be shelters, but also, it's like, "There has to be shelters in case storms hit." i'm glad everyone is okay. I wish pics would be posted.

There was four of us at the park last night. We had just rode Diamondback when it started raining. I checked the radar on my phone and it only showed a small storm cell that was right over KI. Almost everyone in the park started leaving but we decided to stay and wait for it to pass, so we walked over to the tables beside Chick-fil-a and the daycare (lost parents) and rode it out for a while under the giant umbrella. When it started raining harder, the worker from the daycare motioned for everyone to get inside, so we ran over to get out of the rain. The worker told us that she didn't want to scare us but if she got the call over the radio, we would have get on our knees, facing a wall, with our heads between our knees and our hands over our heads. Not even a minute later the call came and we had to follow tornado procedures. We were in the day care (not allowed to leave) for about 30 minutes until the worker told us that we were allowed to go but we only had about 15 minutes before the next storm cell hit. I asked her if that was enough time and she said, "its enough time to make it to your car", at which point I said, "oh, enough time to get off Kings Island property". The whole night was crazy. Once we got on I-71 south for a few miles it was okay. It didn't even look like it had rained there. Crazy night.

Yesterday, we had violent thunderstorms with hail at Holiday World (that I was told produced a tornado after it passed through) at the same time I was notified that there was a tornado warning for Mason, Ohio.

My phone and Adam's phone were both blowing up last night from people on here asking if we were OK. I can't thank you guys enough for looking out for me and the other KIC members that attended HoliWood Nights, for looking out for us because of the weather. We were hours from home and pretty scared, with the hail and black skies.

There was one point that we thought there was going to be a tornado last night, because it sure looked and sounded like we were going to get one.

Well, it doesn't look like a Tornado has ever hit KI...Microbursts, yes, Tornado no...I guess the park is in a good location to avoid them.

That's good. ;)

And if a Tornado did ever hit The Beast/Racer...they had better fix any damage and re-build it exactly as it is!

Even better is

video right here. Unless this is the one you meant. Sorry Gabriel just had to put this up.

As for the whole storms and tornadoes situation, I thought it was funny but kind of scary at the same time that I was really close to asking to go up to the park yesterday evening. I think it would have been interesting to see what Kings Islands procedure was for tornadoes first hand but glad I didn't have to experience it.

Me and my family were at Texas Roadhouse in Milford when we saw the first storm that went just north of there. We went over to Walmart and right when we got out of the car we heard the sirens start going off and learned that there was a Tornado Warning for South Central Clermont and a funnel had been spotted going towards Bethel.

At around a quarter 'til 9 I received a call from my Girlfriend saying that the first storm hit Goshen head on and that it had straight-line winds with it but nothing else. Suddenly around 9 I look out the front doors of Walmart and find that it is PITCH BLACK outside so I tell my mom that I was going out to see it and sure enough just to the North was a HUGE storm and not even a minute after that the Sirens started going off again and we learned that we were the ones under the Tornado Warning this time. After this we raced our ways to our home in Goshen and quickly turned on the TV and sat in the basement.

Overall just pouring rain and a little bit of hail was all we got but indeed a very scary situation that unfolded last night and I am most certainly glad that everyone was ok and that nothing major happened to anybody not only on here but everybody else around the area.

Just wondering, because i had seen it posted somewhere last night, but for those of you who experienced the weather last night at KI, did you see or hear of any coasters or tall rides (Diamondback, SOB, Drotp Tower, Eiffel Tower) being struck by lightning? :unsure: I know that storms are a normal event for amusement/theme parks, but last night was BAD. It looked like a strobe light outside with all of the lightning.

And just for the fun of it for people who don't know who the group was......and boy is this embarssing to know that I went to this concert (even though it was for my younger brother!)

:lol:

Oh those Canucks...they are a funny fun loving bunch arn't they? (Well as long as they bring the Blue!!)

Just wondering, because i had seen it posted somewhere last night, but for those of you who experienced the weather last night at KI, did you see or hear of any coasters or tall rides (Diamondback, SOB, Drotp Tower, Eiffel Tower) being struck by lightning? :unsure: I know that storms are a normal event for amusement/theme parks, but last night was BAD. It looked like a strobe light outside with all of the lightning.

I bet you they did, especally Drop Tower and the Eiffel Tower. They get hit by lightning a lot more than you would think.

That's good. ;)

Even better is

video right here. Unless this is the one you meant. Sorry Gabriel just had to put this up...

No, I posted the one I meant. I hadn't seen the SOB one before you posted it.

That's good. ;)

Even better is

video right here. Unless this is the one you meant. Sorry Gabriel just had to put this up...

No, I posted the one I meant. I hadn't seen the SOB one before you posted it.

I wasnt sure if you meant to put the SOB one up and it posted the original one or not. Thats why I asked about it. I think the SOB one is just hysterical though and makes a good point at the same time.

Diamondback was hit twice at the top of the lift hill, and both the Eiffel Tower and Drop Tower were hit. Not sure if anything else was.