Absolute WORST park-going experience of my life!

IBEW_Sparky

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed something about the growing trend in disrespectful behavior (line jumping, rule-ignoring, entitlement mentality, etc.). The best way to illustrate it is to note some differences between "then" and "now". For example, in 1981:

1. Parents did not fear correcting their children in public;

2. Much of the WWII and Great Depression-era generation was still alive and teaching values to their offspring;

3. Politeness, Respect for Parents, Teachers, Elders, and the concept of waiting one's turn were taught in schools, and paddlings in the hallway were still legal when needed to drive home the point!

Now, nobody wants to bruise anyone's ego. Pity. <_<

And I will take the ride operators perspective:

First off, as a former ride operator I can tell you that when you are in that drive box, it is hard to keep your eye on the line (especially in the queue houses,) the ride itself (through monitor systems,) and the platform. Its a lot of people to monitor at one time. HOWEVER, when approached about a line jumper, and a second witness can be shown (this is because I have had several "complaints" of line jumping that were proven false,) they will be thrown out of the line.

For one kid to ruin an entire day at KI, that is overreaction. I don't know if you have a short fuse, or if it was hot out that day, but if you would have taken a deep breath, let it out slowly, and then waited in line, guess what? You would have rode more than BLSC!

Or, bring it up to a ride op when you get to the platform. The people in back of you ARE actually going to remember the incident, and they will back you up because it helps speed up their wait.

This may not be an isolated incident, however to be quite honest, the way the incident was handled was very poor by those in the incident, and was handled very well by the park after the situation rose to its peak.

Woohoo one less person at the park! Now really just kidding I know you were mad and it seems that line jumping is getting pretty bad, but how can you encourage people to stand up to it? I mean you tried to stand up for it but in the end you let them win if you aren't going to come back and enjoy the park and then there is one less person to report a line jumping incident. Just from reading your post I could tell you were in a bad mood. I hope you are not like that all the time. I know you hate basketballs being bounced i have read that a number of times on here, and I really wonder if you like kids because it seems you knew what you might have in-store for you when you pulled into the lot and 1) it was a Friday with school almost over, and 2) a lot of school buses and charter buses. If you have a problem with kids that are unsupervised then you might have just wanted to get your pass processed and then just leave.

I can't blame the park in this case because you even said they did everything to try and accommodate you but you chose to stay mad and just left to never come back. You just quit and now expect everyone else to carry the torch of stopping the line jumpers for you. I just don't see the logic in that. If you do decide to come back and enjoy KI, which I hope you do, don't let kids ruin your day, there are such bigger things in life to worry about than some snot nosed kids getting in front of you for a ride.

This is just my thought on this since the topic has been alive for almost a week. I have tried to bite my tongue but it keeps rearing its head, so i thought i would drop in my 2 cents!

Woohoo one less person at the park! Now really just kidding I know you were mad and it seems that line jumping is getting pretty bad, but how can you encourage people to stand up to it? I mean you tried to stand up for it but in the end you let them win if you aren't going to come back and enjoy the park and then there is one less person to report a line jumping incident. Just from reading your post I could tell you were in a bad mood. I hope you are not like that all the time. I know you hate basketballs being bounced i have read that a number of times on here, and I really wonder if you like kids because it seems you knew what you might have in-store for you when you pulled into the lot and 1) it was a Friday with school almost over, and 2) a lot of school buses and charter buses. If you have a problem with kids that are unsupervised then you might have just wanted to get your pass processed and then just leave.

I can't blame the park in this case because you even said they did everything to try and accommodate you but you chose to stay mad and just left to never come back. You just quit and now expect everyone else to carry the torch of stopping the line jumpers for you. I just don't see the logic in that. If you do decide to come back and enjoy KI, which I hope you do, don't let kids ruin your day, there are such bigger things in life to worry about than some snot nosed kids getting in front of you for a ride.

This is just my thought on this since the topic has been alive for almost a week. I have tried to bite my tongue but it keeps rearing its head, so i thought i would drop in my 2 cents!

I myself do not hate kids. I love kids but I expect their parents to train them to behave in public, which includes showing respect for others.

i agree, i have three myself and the 11 year old gets out of control from time to time, but what kid doesn't and I was very proud of how he handled himself at Kings Island this past Tuesday when we went. He even stopped someone from line jumping. He said excuse me but you need to wait like all these people you just passed and the teenager went back to the end of the line.

The windshawne, Interpreter & auge.dog posts are all very interesting perspectives...it would be an interesting debate between you "guys"...maybe that could be an event at the next KIC Blues Party. ;)

Oh my! :blink: I'm not very PC.

Yes a lot of parents are afraid to discipline their kids in public these days, and the kids know this. My generation got paddled, and what not in public or wherever else, and most of us turned out ok. I think we have some sense of respect for others.

Telling guest relations is one thing, and good, however, theres only so much you can do after the fact-the guilty party is long gone. I agree with Sparky in how he handled it. Personally, I would prefer the ride ops to keep an eye on the ride-distraction could cause a tragedy like Kentucky Kingdom. I still think security should be more of a presence than they are. I dont go on the weekends anymore because its out of control-there are more families at the park during the week. The fact that some on here dont find this a big deal tells me that those folks themselves dont know line jumping is wrong.

I've noticed something about the growing trend in disrespectful behavior (line jumping, rule-ignoring, entitlement mentality, etc.). The best way to illustrate it is to note some differences between "then" and "now". For example, in 1981:

2. Much of the WWII and Great Depression-era generation was still alive and teaching values to their offspring;

3. Politeness, Respect for Parents, Teachers, Elders, and the concept of waiting one's turn were taught in schools, and paddlings in the hallway were still legal when needed to drive home the point!

I agree wholeheartedly!! With my recent family issues, I appreciate the elders more every day as well as their stories-and realize that will soon come to an end. Some of my best childhood memories were spent with them and hearing about their lives growing up.

The windshawne, Interpreter & auge.dog posts are all very interesting perspectives...it would be an interesting debate between you "guys"...maybe that could be an event at the next KIC Blues Party. ;)

Oh my! :blink: I'm not very PC.

Yes a lot of parents are afraid to discipline their kids in public these days, and the kids know this. My generation got paddled, and what not in public or wherever else, and most of us turned out ok. I think we have some sense of respect for others.

Telling guest relations is one thing, and good, however, theres only so much you can do after the fact-the guilty party is long gone. I agree with Sparky in how he handled it. Personally, I would prefer the ride ops to keep an eye on the ride-distraction could cause a tragedy like Kentucky Kingdom. I still think security should be more of a presence than they are. I dont go on the weekends anymore because its out of control-there are more families at the park during the week. The fact that some on here dont find this a big deal tells me that those folks themselves dont know line jumping is wrong.

Right on Windshawne. Like you, I am fed up with this whole "kids will be kids" mentality as an excuse for bad behavior.

Sadly enough, its because these Mother groups on the Hill. They started out with good intentions (for example, coming up with "safe harbor" hours for children on TV and radio) however now these groups want the government to actually raise their kids for them, instead of taking initiative.

Whats the saying? It takes a community to raise a child?

I believe there is a form that a parent can fill out certifying that corporal punishment is ok to do to their kid.

In the state, it might be allowed, however in school districts (public school) it is outlawed, so private schools still have that option.

... paddlings in the hallway were still legal when needed to drive home the point!...

My teacher said it IS still legal to paddle kids under the law (in Ohio at least), but school districts just 'outlawed' it. Anyone know anything about this?

That is not completely true/ if their school board decides to legalize corporal punishment, and parents sign up their kids, it is allowed in public schools. (my teacher says)

My social studies teacher says that global warming as most people think of it isn't actually happening. Yes, the earth is warming, but it is because of coming out of the last ice age (or going into one. I think it is this one but why would the earth warm when going into an ice age?).

Why?? Really?? I will tell you exactly why. I did NOT become a passholder to spend my day at the park being a babysitter or Security Officer, THATS why. I was under the impression that a day at an amusement park was supposed to be a good time, where one could relax and enjoy the rides/attractions without having to constantly deal with this type of incident. If you have read any portion of these boards since opening day, you will (hopefully) be able to see that this is not in any way an isolated incident. Why in God's name should I voluntarily subject myself to this type of garbage? You are totally correct in your one statement that the park did as much as they possibly could in this situation, hence my praise of GR and of Jeremy. However, until the statement "linejumpers will be removed from the line and possibly from the park" is changed to "linejumpers will have their butts tossed out of the park PERIOD with no exceptions" this will continue and will get worse, far worse... especially on DB. If the time comes when I hear reports from Friends that the park has taken an iron fist approach to this problem... I will consider returning to the park a positive experience.

So, Kings Island should hire 4-5 people to patrol a queue? That is what I've gotten from your posts. In order for Kings Island to completely take care of this problem (which most likely will never happen), they'll have to hire 4-5 people to walk the queues of every single ride.

While I agree that line jumping is a problem that's getting way too far out of hand, I believe that this thread defines the word "overreaction". Sure, the kid should've been ejected from the park and it's pretty sad that the people behind you did nothing about the problem, but one incident is no reason to claim that your entire day was ruined and leave the park.

Agreed, if you're going to pay to get into the park, shouldn't you stay in the park for more than an hour or two?

So, you went on a day where the chances of kids ages 10-15 are calling for 100% ....what do you expect? There's going to be lines on a Friday, especially when school coming to an end, and a trip to the park is an annual event for some schools. There's going to be lots of kids in lines until about 4PM.

It's a Kings Island on a Friday...expect lines!

As for the line jumping, tell them no. 9/10 times they will have their friends come back behind you. Don't try to be physical and block them...say something! And why would you get out of line after waiting? Just to runnnn all the way over to guest relations to hope they'd kick him out right then and there? I don't think all that work would ammount to that.

This TR is going to be flamed to bits. If your chances of returning are zero, that's sad to hear.

Oh, and Kings Island is NOT a "Six Flags Ohio." That's an insult, dude.

I agree KI Man. Tell the people line jumping no...stand up dude. Anytime you run to Guest Relations as soon as you get jumped in line, the thing is that the people jumping you are 1) either already on the ride by the time you get there 2) already have been on the ride and now in line for another ride.

Stay in line tell the ride ops with another person in the line that the people in front of you jumped in line.

Seriously...???...

No matter what a sign says,,, kids are kids. Many of them will intentionally break the rules. It's what they do. To them, it may even be worth getting kicked out of the park to not risk missing the social opportunity with their peer group. If some of them got kicked out, they would wear it as a badge of honor and soak in all the attention their group would give them. Their attempt to break out as individuals and self-actualize, as well as their attempt to fit into society and their peer group will drive their decision... Both motivations would be fueled. Not to mention group theory, and how empowered people in general can be when attempting to work with a group... I mean,,,, the Holocaust even... And those that perpetuated this, weren't teenagers.

Point of the matter,,,, line-jumping will ALWAYS be a problem. The park does enforce this, and when guests complain it is dealt with. The workers are instructed to respond when they notice these situations or there is a guest complaint.

If you can't emotionally deal with a bunch of teenagers being teenagers, I suggest you focus your leisure time somewhere other than theme parks. Maybe a library, retirement home shuffle board court, or chalet in the mountains where you could grow a very large beard and let woodland creatures live in it...

1 word--agreed

Why?? Really?? I will tell you exactly why. I did NOT become a passholder to spend my day at the park being a babysitter or Security Officer, THATS why. I was under the impression that a day at an amusement park was supposed to be a good time, where one could relax and enjoy the rides/attractions without having to constantly deal with this type of incident. If you have read any portion of these boards since opening day, you will (hopefully) be able to see that this is not in any way an isolated incident. Why in God's name should I voluntarily subject myself to this type of garbage? You are totally correct in your one statement that the park did as much as they possibly could in this situation, hence my praise of GR and of Jeremy. However, until the statement "linejumpers will be removed from the line and possibly from the park" is changed to "linejumpers will have their butts tossed out of the park PERIOD with no exceptions" this will continue and will get worse, far worse... especially on DB. If the time comes when I hear reports from Friends that the park has taken an iron fist approach to this problem... I will consider returning to the park a positive experience.

So, Kings Island should hire 4-5 people to patrol a queue? That is what I've gotten from your posts. In order for Kings Island to completely take care of this problem (which most likely will never happen), they'll have to hire 4-5 people to walk the queues of every single ride.

While I agree that line jumping is a problem that's getting way too far out of hand, I believe that this thread defines the word "overreaction". Sure, the kid should've been ejected from the park and it's pretty sad that the people behind you did nothing about the problem, but one incident is no reason to claim that your entire day was ruined and leave the park.

Agreed, if you're going to pay to get into the park, shouldn't you stay in the park for more than an hour or two?

So, you went on a day where the chances of kids ages 10-15 are calling for 100% ....what do you expect? There's going to be lines on a Friday, especially when school coming to an end, and a trip to the park is an annual event for some schools. There's going to be lots of kids in lines until about 4PM.

It's a Kings Island on a Friday...expect lines!

As for the line jumping, tell them no. 9/10 times they will have their friends come back behind you. Don't try to be physical and block them...say something! And why would you get out of line after waiting? Just to runnnn all the way over to guest relations to hope they'd kick him out right then and there? I don't think all that work would ammount to that.

This TR is going to be flamed to bits. If your chances of returning are zero, that's sad to hear.

Oh, and Kings Island is NOT a "Six Flags Ohio." That's an insult, dude.

I agree KI Man. Tell the people line jumping no...stand up dude. Anytime you run to Guest Relations as soon as you get jumped in line, the thing is that the people jumping you are 1) either already on the ride by the time you get there 2) already have been on the ride and now in line for another ride.

Stay in line tell the ride ops with another person in the line that the people in front of you jumped in line.

Seriously...???...

No matter what a sign says,,, kids are kids. Many of them will intentionally break the rules. It's what they do. To them, it may even be worth getting kicked out of the park to not risk missing the social opportunity with their peer group. If some of them got kicked out, they would wear it as a badge of honor and soak in all the attention their group would give them. Their attempt to break out as individuals and self-actualize, as well as their attempt to fit into society and their peer group will drive their decision... Both motivations would be fueled. Not to mention group theory, and how empowered people in general can be when attempting to work with a group... I mean,,,, the Holocaust even... And those that perpetuated this, weren't teenagers.

Point of the matter,,,, line-jumping will ALWAYS be a problem. The park does enforce this, and when guests complain it is dealt with. The workers are instructed to respond when they notice these situations or there is a guest complaint.

If you can't emotionally deal with a bunch of teenagers being teenagers, I suggest you focus your leisure time somewhere other than theme parks. Maybe a library, retirement home shuffle board court, or chalet in the mountains where you could grow a very large beard and let woodland creatures live in it...

1 word--agreed

Security whether it be at the amusement park, schools or at the airport is not the joke that you all seem to be making it. It is a serious issue. It is so serious that kids are bringing guns to school and shooting each other. So, in answer to your question should KI put 3-4 security officers in each queue, my response is, if it helps ABSOLUTELY!!!! Safety of guests should be a number one priority. CP has big, burly police officers everywhere and this seems to work in cutting down on line jumping as well as keeping guests safe. KI seems to be following suit of its home park and I think security has improved in the park.

And to say we should stay away from places where we can expect to find unruly teenagers, give me a break. I love going to KI and as a law abiding park goer who abides by the rules, I have every right to be there. As to the unruly kids, I say throw the bums out. Let me stress that I love kids and feel that most of them are good and well-mannered. The ones that are not need to be taught by their parents right from wrong. Perhaps Windishawne is right, maybe a good paddling wouldn't hurt.

I found dad's paddle once and threw it in a corn field :blink: . He was really not happy the next time I earned a couple swats but I thought it was great (is that masochism?).

At least in IN, paddling in schools is most certainly still legal. I've seen the law as we deabated it in a grad class last summer. The decision to paddle is left up to the discretion of the individual school but most have stopped. A little over 2 years ago, I provided behavioral services in a school that paddled... Their director of special services put an end to it a little over a year ago. I don't personally know of any other schools that still do.

Sparky, sorry you had a bad experience. If I had the same day I would have been upset but still would've enjoyed the reat of my day. I typically try to ignore little things that bother me and only act on bigger concerns. KI (or CF's management of KI) seems to have a similar mentality and is missing the point that line jumping is becoming a big concern. In a CP blog, I read about a fight that started from someone confronting a line jumper at CP. This is going to happen if CF doesn't crack down. I say something whenever I see someone line jumping and am not afraid of needing to defend myself. I kinda wonder how long it will be before someone tries to get physical with me.

12 injured in brawl at Kings Island not a good headline for PR.

I found dad's paddle once and threw it in a corn field :blink: . He was really not happy the next time I earned a couple swats but I thought it was great (is that masochism?).

At least in IN, paddling in schools is most certainly still legal. I've seen the law as we deabated it in a grad class last summer. The decision to paddle is left up to the discretion of the individual school but most have stopped. A little over 2 years ago, I provided behavioral services in a school that paddled... Their director of special services put an end to it a little over a year ago. I don't personally know of any other schools that still do.

Sparky, sorry you had a bad experience. If I had the same day I would have been upset but still would've enjoyed the reat of my day. I typically try to ignore little things that bother me and only act on bigger concerns. KI (or CF's management of KI) seems to have a similar mentality and is missing the point that line jumping is becoming a big concern. In a CP blog, I read about a fight that started from someone confronting a line jumper at CP. This is going to happen if CF doesn't crack down. I say something whenever I see someone line jumping and am not afraid of needing to defend myself. I kinda wonder how long it will be before someone tries to get physical with me.

12 injured in brawl at Kings Island not a good headline for PR.

Whether you can defend yourself or not, no guest should have to risk a physical confrontation. And confronting a line jumper on your own increases the risk of a physical confrontation. Despite the metal detectors, what if the other person pulls a knife on you? Or what if you get arrested for fighting? That is why police officers should be at all the busy rides to prevent this from happening. The fact that we even need to have metal detectors at an amusement park indeed shows a sad state of our world.

... paddlings in the hallway were still legal when needed to drive home the point!...

My teacher said it IS still legal to paddle kids under the law (in Ohio at least), but school districts just 'outlawed' it. Anyone know anything about this?

I know the private schools still do and can.

and TB i remember back when it was ok for other parents to discipline a child, but anymore jeez... I remember friends parents disciplining me and no one had problems with it, and i'm obviously ok. I will go teacher mode on kids in line. I caught myself doing it at the Columbus zoo awhile back, twice! (well one time was pointed out to me) lol I have no qualms dealing with children, either from a teacher standpoint, or the fact that i have 52 cousins, only 4 older than me... (thats just one side of my family... and i wish i were joking) So you learn who';s gonna be a troublemaker and when to drop it. but most of the time if you even bring it up to the kid, they'll comply in some way, or give you a sob story. one way or the other...

When the issue of metal dectors was up, Kings Island surveyed a great many about their feelings about park safety and security. The metal dectors were installed because it was found that the public felt much safer with them implimented.

KI putting them in was due to the 9/11 thing. Why Cedar Point didnt do it is hard to tell. I know that Cedar Point has its own police force and most carry guns. I think i seen some KI guards with guns. I know that after the shooting in the parking alot a few years ago at KI, they stopped the thing they had with the dj's and all that. It was something they did in Action Zone. The shooting was due to a fight in the park i beleave that went into the parking alot and someone pulled a gun from a car and started shooting.

KI putting them in was due to the 9/11 thing. Why Cedar Point didnt do it is hard to tell. I know that Cedar Point has its own police force and most carry guns. I think i seen some KI guards with guns. I know that after the shooting in the parking alot a few years ago at KI, they stopped the thing they had with the dj's and all that. It was something they did in Action Zone. The shooting was due to a fight in the park i beleave that went into the parking alot and someone pulled a gun from a car and started shooting.

As has been mentioned before, security does not carry guns at KI, only the park police officers do.

And what's this about a shooting in the parking lot at KI...did I miss something because I don't ever remember hearing about such an incident.

As has been mentioned before, security does not carry guns at KI, only the park police officers do.

And what's this about a shooting in the parking lot at KI...did I miss something?

It was when it was owned by Paramount. Was a Gold Pass VIP Friday Nights thing. Was in the season of 2005 i beleave. The story of the fight and shooting was said on another coaster fan site. After that happend they stopped it all together. It lasted 2 fridays maybe 3. I had to look for that Gold Pass VIP thing on yahoo. Found it on another fan site.

Unfortunately, my school still does the whole paddling ordeal. I got paddled in a church parking lot last week. I hate being a freshmen.