Absolute WORST park-going experience of my life!

IBEW_Sparky

At least in IN, paddling in schools is most certainly still legal. I've seen the law as we deabated it in a grad class last summer. The decision to paddle is left up to the discretion of the individual school but most have stopped. A little over 2 years ago, I provided behavioral services in a school that paddled... Their director of special services put an end to it a little over a year ago. I don't personally know of any other schools that still do.

Unfortunately, my school still does the whole paddling ordeal. I got paddled in a church parking lot last week. I hate being a freshmen.

LOL theres a difference... i guessing you got paddled by a group of seniors ;) not your teacher lol

*shudders* i too remember those days of paddles and pushing pennies til your nose was about to fall off ugh lol good luck this summer! :P

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, line jumpers suck. Sorry you had a bad day Sparky. My only problem with your report was that lines that had 45 min.- 1hr. waits was enough to deter you from standing in line. Since when can you not expect to wait in line for extended time on just about any ride? I have rarely had walk-ons on any ride and only one at Kings Island and that was The Beast.

It reminds me of a trip I took a few years back with my wife and a couple of friends. We were going to ride The Vortex, but the friends thought that a 45 min. wait was too long. Sure, maybe that's not typical of Vortex, but it was a Saturday. I was just thinking to myself, when did park patrons become so spoiled that they expect to wait no more than 15-20 minutes? I waited 4-5 hours to ride The Beast in the early 80's. I waited 2 hours for Millennium Force and have waited nearly that for the Raptor. I waited 3 hours for TTD in its' opening year. The list goes on.

I can see your frustration and it is legit, but I think driving away was just a bit silly when you could've done a lot more.

At least in IN, paddling in schools is most certainly still legal. I've seen the law as we deabated it in a grad class last summer. The decision to paddle is left up to the discretion of the individual school but most have stopped. A little over 2 years ago, I provided behavioral services in a school that paddled... Their director of special services put an end to it a little over a year ago. I don't personally know of any other schools that still do.

Unfortunately, my school still does the whole paddling ordeal. I got paddled in a church parking lot last week. I hate being a freshmen.

LOL theres a difference... i guessing you got paddled by a group of seniors ;) not your teacher lol

*shudders* i too remember those days of paddles and pushing pennies til your nose was about to fall off ugh lol good luck this summer! :P

Woops. I should read better next time! haha! My mom is a teacher, she told me that if teachers paddle kids and the parents don't like it they can be brought up on charges. Just like any other person could be charged if a grown adult hit a kid with a paddle wither it be in school or on in a church parking lot. lol.

If anyone sees people cutting in line need to speak up.That's all there is to it.I would think that if more than one person would speak up then maybe the linecutters would get tossed.I know it upsets me to but im not going to let them ruin my day.They do reap what they sow.I had a linecutter get by me one time on the ttd.by fate,i got his seat on my turn and all i can say is thank you for that money you left in your seat.Call it a line jumpers fee.

If anyone sees people cutting in line need to speak up.That's all there is to it.I would think that if more than one person would speak up then maybe the linecutters would get tossed.I know it upsets me to but im not going to let them ruin my day.They do reap what they sow.I had a linecutter get by me one time on the ttd.by fate,i got his seat on my turn and all i can say is thank you for that money you left in your seat.Call it a line jumpers fee.

That is so funny. But, you still should've been the better person and given it back, but... How much money was there? :D

I remeber a time when my mom wouldn't buy me a certain pair of shoes because people were getting killed for them.

That is just crazy. What shoes were they and when was that?

I'm sorry friend that you had such a miserable time at KI. Indianapolis is not a backyard trip to Mason, Ohio. I understand your frustrations and can comprehend your emotions about your trip being a wasted day. I once worked for PKI Security in 2005. We all had a clear objective to ensure safety and enforcing park rules. Our difficulty that year was not so much line jumping because we worked hard with the ride ops to reduce the temptation and redirected line jumping guest to the back of the line, but dealing with the new enforement of designated smoking areas and then those who elected to smoke in the que lines. Park guest are pretty much the same when you need to enforce a rule. They feel their park admission admits them to additional amenities above and beyond stated park rules posted at the front gate, the park map and posted signs throughout KI. Nobody wants to be called out that they were caught doing wrong and even adults act like little children. It's worse if they've been drinking. I'm sorry to say but many times it's the PASSCARD holders who know the rules very well and take FULL advantage of breaking rules because many of them practically live there all summer. It's a second home to them. A place parents leave children to be babysat 9-5 everyday. I recall seeing cardholders 4-5 times a week sometimes.

The overall guest experience you had sounded to me that it unfortunately began with you entering the parking lot and witnessing the multitude of buses. I too would assume that the park would be overcrowded with kids and so forth having to deal with long lines. I know you spent additional money to upgrade, but I doubt you'll have the same experience twice. Although, Cedar Point is a more popular theme park, with bigger crowds so be prepared. I think you had kids...kids...kids...on your mind right from the start and therefore that was all you saw everywhere you looked. If you would have been brought in from the back of the park without seeing those busses, I truly believe you would have thought...."hmmm hot summer day, yep KI is the place to be'" and you would have accepted the long lines. It is a lottery to how busy the park will be each day and I know we ALL can't pick our days off to visit KI because of work obligations...but as always if you do research you see that most parks are less busy during the middle of the week. OVERALL, DON'T LET YOUR ONE DAY EXPERIENCE BE THE FAULT TO YOU NOT COMING BACK. YOU DID THE RIGHT THING BY ALERTING THE AUTHORITIES AND I PERSONALLY WOULD HAVE TAKEN THE CUT TO THE FRONT. NOBODY IN LINE WOULD HAVE OBJECTED. MOST DON'T EVEN THINK TWICE OR NOTICE. GUEST SERVICES WOULD HAVE BENT OVER BACKWARDS TO ASSIST YOU AND YOU TURNDOWN THEIR HELP TO REDUCE YOUR FRUSTRATIONS TO SOME POINT!

That is so funny. But, you still should've been the better person and given it back, but... How much money was there? :D

I remeber a time when my mom wouldn't buy me a certain pair of shoes because people were getting killed for them.

That is just crazy. What shoes were they and when was that?

Not much.just change.had it been real cash i would have got it to them but im not going to lose my place in line if you know what i mean.

I'm sorry friend that you had such a miserable time at KI. Indianapolis is not a backyard trip to Mason, Ohio. I understand your frustrations and can comprehend your emotions about your trip being a wasted day. I once worked for PKI Security in 2005. We all had a clear objective to ensure safety and enforcing park rules. Our difficulty that year was not so much line jumping because we worked hard with the ride ops to reduce the temptation and redirected line jumping guest to the back of the line, but dealing with the new enforement of designated smoking areas and then those who elected to smoke in the que lines. Park guest are pretty much the same when you need to enforce a rule. They feel their park admission admits them to additional amenities above and beyond stated park rules posted at the front gate, the park map and posted signs throughout KI. Nobody wants to be called out that they were caught doing wrong and even adults act like little children. It's worse if they've been drinking. I'm sorry to say but many times it's the PASSCARD holders who know the rules very well and take FULL advantage of breaking rules because many of them practically live there all summer. It's a second home to them. A place parents leave children to be babysat 9-5 everyday. I recall seeing cardholders 4-5 times a week sometimes.

The overall guest experience you had sounded to me that it unfortunately began with you entering the parking lot and witnessing the multitude of buses. I too would assume that the park would be overcrowded with kids and so forth having to deal with long lines. I know you spent additional money to upgrade, but I doubt you'll have the same experience twice. Although, Cedar Point is a more popular theme park, with bigger crowds so be prepared. I think you had kids...kids...kids...on your mind right from the start and therefore that was all you saw everywhere you looked. If you would have been brought in from the back of the park without seeing those busses, I truly believe you would have thought...."hmmm hot summer day, yep KI is the place to be'" and you would have accepted the long lines. It is a lottery to how busy the park will be each day and I know we ALL can't pick our days off to visit KI because of work obligations...but as always if you do research you see that most parks are less busy during the middle of the week. OVERALL, DON'T LET YOUR ONE DAY EXPERIENCE BE THE FAULT TO YOU NOT COMING BACK. YOU DID THE RIGHT THING BY ALERTING THE AUTHORITIES AND I PERSONALLY WOULD HAVE TAKEN THE CUT TO THE FRONT. NOBODY IN LINE WOULD HAVE OBJECTED. MOST DON'T EVEN THINK TWICE OR NOTICE. GUEST SERVICES WOULD HAVE BENT OVER BACKWARDS TO ASSIST YOU AND YOU TURNDOWN THEIR HELP TO REDUCE YOUR FRUSTRATIONS TO SOME POINT!

Don't the rules specifically state that linejumpers will be removed from the park without a refund,not simply ejected from the ride in question or sent to the back of the line?It seems to me like many of the parks in the US simply aren't following through with enforcement of their own rules & simply use that as a scare tactic in the hopes that it will keep guests in check.

What's the point of having this rule if it's not being properly enforced?

Don't the rules specifically state that linejumpers will be removed from the park without a refund,not simply ejected from the ride in question or sent to the back of the line?It seems to me like many of the parks in the US simply aren't following through with enforcement of their own rules & simply use that as a scare tactic in the hopes that it will keep guests in check.

What's the point of having this rule if it's not being properly enforced?

If they are the same signs that have always been there, I believe the sign says that line jumpers "may" be ejected from the park. Which means it's a case by case basis, and based on the reaction of those being booted from the line.

I've noticed something about the growing trend in disrespectful behavior (line jumping, rule-ignoring, entitlement mentality, etc.). The best way to illustrate it is to note some differences between "then" and "now". For example, in 1981:

1. Parents did not fear correcting their children in public;

2. Much of the WWII and Great Depression-era generation was still alive and teaching values to their offspring;

3. Politeness, Respect for Parents, Teachers, Elders, and the concept of waiting one's turn were taught in schools, and paddlings in the hallway were still legal when needed to drive home the point!

Now, nobody wants to bruise anyone's ego. Pity. <_<

I completely agree with this. I consider myself lucky, I'm 18, born in '90, and was raised the old fashioned way. My parents could and did touch me if I misbehaved. I wasn't afraid of them, I didn't think I was being abused, I just knew what was coming if I acted up. I will still occasionally thank them for that. I think it made me a more behaved and responsible person.

My school, however, had already banned paddling when I started kindergarten. As gruesome as it seems, I think it's necessary. Kids today are terrible! I can't remember a single day myself or any of my other graduated classmates acted like what I see these days at KI. It's gotten even worse with this No Child Left Behind policy! I was shocked to find out that none of the kids in elementary can fail any more without parental consent. What is that!? So now we have all the problem kids who don't try or don't care tormenting the Jr. High teachers. I know of several that were in my school's Seventh grade for three years. This is just setting them up for failure. I can't help but think this is contributing to the problem at hand.

Parents just seem to let their children run amok now. They've fallen victim to this new "can't touch 'em" parenting style, where they seem to think if you spank your child, he will grow up to be a serial murder. Less time is spent teaching kids at early ages, too. I used to watch an immense amount of educational TV shows, heck, I still do! But now we have Hannah Montana and iCarly. Ugh. What are we teaching our kids? Girls should grow up to be brainless bimbos who have to look good to succeed and boys should be slack-jaw nitwit mouth-breathers who won't get anywhere unless they can finish a 24 pack in an evening? Since when do we need pills to keep our kids at bay? Since when has it been okay to let our kids disrespect elders, or anyone for that matter?

When the issue of metal dectors was up, Kings Island surveyed a great many about their feelings about park safety and security. The metal dectors were installed because it was found that the public felt much safer with them implimented.

The metal detectors are a freakin' crock! Every time I go I never remove what I have on me, I know I can get through. I always carry my keys, my iPhone, my wallet, and my full metal Zippo. Couple all these with my glasses and belt buckle. The detector never goes off! That's a little bit unnerving. If I can get through with all that stuff, who know what else is getting through?!

I will hand it to them, last time I beeped it was because of a cigar cutter which I forgot I had on me. They actually took it and held it for the day. Those can't do much damage. That being said, it comforted me to know they took something that just looks dangerous. I just wish the sensitivity of the detectors were greater.

Sparky, I'm sorry you had that experience. From reading your post, I understood completely what kind of day you were having. I have the all the time. You were already about at the end of your rope and that one little S.O.B. did it. I understand. I'll have someone remarkably insignificant do something comparatively petty but, for some reason, I just snap. I don't blame you.

Go back to KI, just try the weekdays. The weekends are miserable. Every time I go I regret it.

Really because one obnoxious kid cut in front of you? I dont really see how this is the park's fault, in fact it looks like the park did everything they could to fix the problem.

I completely agree with you Sparky. I personally have never encountered a linejumper when I have gone to KI. Im 13 and I would NEVER line jump. Actions like these will get you nowhere in life. And really, linejumpers? You think that you can cut people to meet up with your friends in the freaking SINGLE rider line?! This type of stuff drives me insane. I am also very fortunate that none of my friends are like this, because they could have influenced me to do it, who knows?