The Beast

McSalsa

Yeah i tend to find that The Beast does ride smoother at night for some odd reason. I would agree tough that the best ride is probably in the second to last seat. Its the fastest and smoothest and you get the most pull on the hills.......even more than the very back...(i dont know why) ?? :blink:

• 1 year later...

Sorry for everybody who loves The Beast...but, I think it's pretty much lame. Haha. I don't know, it's just boring for me. Just a bunch of slow turns and only two airtime hills. I rode it at night and really didn't see a difference.

I'd argue that it doesn't have ANY airtime hills, but from what I understand there was a time when you could actually get airtime on the hills.

The speed of the ride is different depending on where you sit and how many people are on the train with you. If the train's full, it's going to be a fast ride. Anyone who's ridden The Beast alone (which I've done many times this season) with an empty train will tell you that the ride is a lot slower. I'd recommend second to last row for the most speed. Never cared too much for the front.

I'd rate the ride as phenomenal in the second to back row (good everywhere else), with minor pain (although the wheel seats are a little bit rougher), and I don't believe in ghosts.

You'd recommend second to the last row for speed?

The speed of the ride is the same irrespective of where you sit.

Every seat on Beast goes exactly the same speed. If the second to last row were faster, it'd beat some of the other seats closer to the front back. Now that would be a sight to behold!

Terp, always amused at little kids when THEY say the back is faster...but who never thought he'd see that posted here! :)

You'd recommend second to the last row for speed?

The speed of the ride is the same irrespective of where you sit.

Every seat on Beast goes exactly the same speed. If the second to last row were faster, it'd beat some of the other seats closer to the front back. Now that would be a sight to behold!

Terp, always amused at little kids when THEY say the back is faster...but who never thought he'd see that posted here! :)

Let's designate the bottom of the first drop as "point A". When the first car passes point A, it is traveling at (for example) 59 mph. Since all cars of the train must travel at the same speed at the same time, all cars are doing 59 mph at that exact moment, but the last car is not yet at point A. Because the last few cars are still traveling downhill, the train continues to pick up speed until the last car passes point A, at which point the train is now moving faster (say, 64 mph).

The same occurs at the top of an airtime hill. When the first car reaches the top of a hill and begins to go down the other side, the rest of the train is still going uphill, and the train is still slowing down. Only after the train's center of gravity goes over the top of the hill does the train begin speeding up. Therefore, when the front car reaches "point B" (15 feet down the hill from the top), the train may be traveling at only 19 mph, while when the back car reaches point B, the train has picked up speed and may now be traveling at 32 mph.

Also, the reverse of the above occurs when going up a hill; the train will slow down between the front car reaching point C and the back car reaching point C, making the front faster at point C.

In summary, yes, at any given instant, all cars are traveling at the same speed, but each car does not travel over the same point on the track at the same speed, hence why different seats can feel faster or slower. The back will be faster at any given point on a downhill, and the front will be faster at any given point on an uphill.

I have no problem with comparing perceptions of speed, but the reality is that the train does indeed do the same speed at any given instant, else the cars would collide.

It's just funny, that's all!

I love it when little kids tell me the back is faster. I always smile...and have a great day doing it...

:)

Terp, more into philosophy than physics

Ive never heard anything about the Haunted Beast?

n31035.jpgn31041.jpg

Then give these pups a read!

The Beast at least holds the dubious distinction of being the only roller coaster on the planet to have a famed children's horror author write a series of books about it, right? (P.S. The sequel is "The Beast 2" and not "Son of Beast?" ;))

Actually, I think that the real "haunted" stories about The Beast are unrelated to the tale that R.L. Stine has woven into his books, which are about time travel?

Ive never heard anything about the Haunted Beast?

n31035.jpgn31041.jpg

The Beast at least holds the dubious distinction of being the only roller coaster on the planet to have a famed children's horror author write a series of books about it, right? (P.S. The sequel is "The Beast 2" and not "Son of Beast?" ;))

Actually, I think that the real "haunted" stories about The Beast are unrelated to the tale that R.L. Stine has woven into his books, which are about time travel?

Good read B) .

I got the first R.L. Stine "The Beast" at a garage sale, abound 8 years ago. Its a well-written book with an intriguing story line.

Most of the book takes place in old Coney Island in/ around the 1930s, but with a few minor changes. First off, R.L. Stine named the park "Firelight Park." Second of all, Firelight park is said to have been destroyed by a giant fire, started by a tornado which toppled over many of the torches that lit up the park...

Besides that, the differences between "Firelight Park" and old Coney Island are just about nonexistent... R.L. Stine doubtlessly based much of the book on Coney Island's history and final undoing.

n31035.jpgn31041.jpg

Look buzz bars and no head rest, the way it should be.

Let's designate the bottom of the first drop as "point A". When the first car passes point A, it is traveling at (for example) 59 mph. Since all cars of the train must travel at the same speed at the same time, all cars are doing 59 mph at that exact moment, but the last car is not yet at point A. Because the last few cars are still traveling downhill, the train continues to pick up speed until the last car passes point A, at which point the train is now moving faster (say, 64 mph).

The same occurs at the top of an airtime hill. When the first car reaches the top of a hill and begins to go down the other side, the rest of the train is still going uphill, and the train is still slowing down. Only after the train's center of gravity goes over the top of the hill does the train begin speeding up. Therefore, when the front car reaches "point B" (15 feet down the hill from the top), the train may be traveling at only 19 mph, while when the back car reaches point B, the train has picked up speed and may now be traveling at 32 mph.

Also, the reverse of the above occurs when going up a hill; the train will slow down between the front car reaching point C and the back car reaching point C, making the front faster at point C.

In summary, yes, at any given instant, all cars are traveling at the same speed, but each car does not travel over the same point on the track at the same speed, hence why different seats can feel faster or slower. The back will be faster at any given point on a downhill, and the front will be faster at any given point on an uphill.

Yeah.. what he said!

Maybe the "tug" over the drops would have been a better thing to say than speed.

• 2 weeks later...