Handrails

Oldiesmann

What's the funniest and/or strangest "don't sit on the handrails" spiel you've heard at the park? Here are a couple of funny ones I've heard:

"The handrails are our friends. We don't sit on your friends, so please don't sit on ours!"

"Please do not sit, stand and/or break-dance on the handrails!"

I was at Cedar Point opening weekend this year and they kept telling this one guy not to sit on the rails. I thought it was odd that he kept moving and wasnt getting any shorter. By the time he got to the front i seen why. He was over 6'5. Lol. This was at the Cedar Creek Mine Ride.

• Like 1

There was a line for Cedar Creek MIne ride?

Beleave it or not yes. It depends on what coasters are down. Disaster Transport has a line sometimes. But that depends on the weather too as well as what coasters are down.

Some of the ones that I remember saying/hearing while I worked as a ride op are as follows:

"Ladies and gentlemen, for the safety of the guests around you, as well as your own stability, we ask that you do not sit, stand, walk, crawl, kneel, or otherwise place your behind on the handrails."

"Ladies and Gentlemen, if you will direct your attention to the (insert row) and (number of people back from train,) you will notice he is sitting on our handrails. Now to be fair to the handrails, we have offered a chance for them to sit on him. However, out of politeness, the handrails have declined our offer, but cannot guarantee that they will refuse the offer in the future. Please keep this in mind, and please do not sit on the handrails. Thank you."

"Ladies and Gentlemen, because of the abuse the handrails have taken, maintenance has just finished painting them silver, as to hide the marks left from others sitting on the handrails. Because of this, you may notice that the handrails are still slightly tacky in some areas. Please refrain from any unnecessary contact with the handrails to allow proper drying time for the paint. Thank you." (That one always had the offenders jumping off and checking to see if there was paint on their shorts.)

Thats all I can really remember right now, but if I remember any more, I will add them.

My favorite so far has been "we call them handrails, not buttrails so please take your butts off them and put your hands back on them!"

I've also heard the one about sitting on our friends, that's a classic. Hadn't heard the one about them sitting on you, that was a pretty good one!

Riverside was not exactly a guest-friendly park. To put it mildly. You could not pick your seats on the coasters...they had corrals you were herded into (if the coaster train seated 24 people, for example, 24 people were herded out of the line and into the enclosure, which was fenced with chainlink fence). You then were seated, in order, in the coaster train. If you did not like where you ended up, you couldn't ride. Period. If you made a fuss about it, you couldn't ride that coaster the rest of the day. Complain at the park office? WHAT park office! For many years, there wasn't one...(just as there wasn't one at what is now Mt. Olympus or even at Michigan's Adventure...)

When I was on the Raptor crew, and especially when I was on controls where the mike is real loud, if I saw someone sitting on the handrails, I used to love to say "please do not sit, sit, sit, sit, sit or sit on the handrails-they are for hands!" :lol:

or:

"attention guests on the platform, please look down, if there is a handrail under your butt please remove it--thank you" :lol:

Jo

• Like 1

It never ceases to amaze me how many young children sit on the handrails right in front of their parents and the parents say nothing to them. I am especially concerned about the portable queues they are using at DB ( the same ones they use at CP. ) I saw a young girl one day climbing on one and tried to explain to her that the queue could easily fall down since it was not connected to the ground and she could get serously hurt. The girl just looked at me funny.

My favorite so far has been "we call them handrails, not buttrails so please take your butts off them and put your hands back on them!"

I heard that from The Beast today :)

I'll give Kat the credit for the idea, but I'm completely taking credit for starting that at The Beast...though I won't say how. For the record, I also heard a certain person from Beast say it today too. I was highly amused for a multitude of reasons.

When i was actually with one of my friends who worked at the park... He asked the guy get off the handrails unless he wanted to get yelled at.. The guy was like, ill take my chance and get yelled at. So my friend pulled out his id and was like, i work here and then the speaker went on saying get off the handrails. That got him off the handrails.. :D