Kings Island's popularity this season

UCbengal985

Did anyone else expect the park to be a little more packed this season than its been? Other than memorial day weekend, the park doesn't seem to be too crowded. It seems around the same as last season, which is sad since the park just spend 22 million on a new coaster. I went to the park today (Sunday) and waited no more than 15 minutes for Diamondback. Gotta wonder if this will keep up or not....

I think that the main thing is that we're used to rides with a fraction of the capacity of Diamondback. Also don't forget that every year that they add an attraction they're effectively disbursing the crowds that are in the park more and more each year.

Yep. So Diamondback adds a lot of capacity to the park. This attraction takes away some guests from other rides and areas of the park, since nothing was removed to build Diamondback.

A very simplistic example follows. Assume park XYZ has ten rides. Assume that said park has 10,000 people in the park at a specific point in time. Assuming that 75% of the people are either on the rides, or riding the rides, each ride has 750 people. Now, if park XYZ adds an additional attraction, using the same numbers, there are now 681 people at each ride, as opposed to 750.

Granted, this is a very simplistic model, but illustrates the point quite well. With an added attraction comes more park capacity. More park capacity means that a 20,000 person crowd doesn`t seem as crowded as it once was as there is another ride that "dilutes" the crowds at existing attractions. Does that make sense?

Diamondback is what got me so in to KI. Otherwise I wouldn't be on these blogs and may not have gotten a platinum pass or talked 2 friends into getting them. I'm sure there are plenty of other similar stories.

Same here. Before last year, I hadn't been to the park for three years-and hadn't had a pass for about 13 years. Now I have a pass and have been to the park 6 times this season-all thanks to DB.

Yep. So Diamondback adds a lot of capacity to the park. This attraction takes away some guests from other rides and areas of the park, since nothing was removed to build Diamondback.

A very simplistic example follows. Assume park XYZ has ten rides. Assume that said park has 10,000 people in the park at a specific point in time. Assuming that 75% of the people are either on the rides, or riding the rides, each ride has 750 people. Now, if park XYZ adds an additional attraction, using the same numbers, there are now 681 people at each ride, as opposed to 750.

Granted, this is a very simplistic model, but illustrates the point quite well. With an added attraction comes more park capacity. More park capacity means that a 20,000 person crowd doesn`t seem as crowded as it once was as there is another ride that "dilutes" the crowds at existing attractions. Does that make sense?

This also is why I look forward to the opening of Boomerang Bay! Nice illustration, by the way!

While lots of roller coaster fans loved it when Kings Island built DB, there are lots of people that go to Kings Island for the family appeal of the park. In the past, parks would try to out do each other with the tallest, fastest, longests, ect roller coaster and spend millions to build them. Now with the down turn of the economy and fan interest changing, parks are changing their views. I guess they (parks) wonder what will be the increase in attendence with the opening of a new, multi milion dollar roller coaster and would it be worth it. I for one used to ride roller coasters but with age they no longer appeal to me. When a company makes any kind of investment in new equipment, they want a return on their investment in the shorter amount of time possible and an increase in production.