Vortex

McSalsa

Well, I wasn't planning on throwing another one of these down for a few more days, but after viewing "What's Up On The Island Episode 4" I thought this would be a good time to throw down The Vortex poll.

My Thoughts on Vortex?

Good, Some Pain, Have Yet To Ride SOB for comparison...

I think Vortex is a very good ride. Not "phenomenal" but very good. And if you sit in the right seats it's not painful at all. SoB, however... there's a better chance of finding me on the surface of the moon than on that ride.

I haven't ridden Vortex since 2004 and I don't plan on it. Tennesse Tornado has to be the smoothest Arrow looper I have been on, it might be shorter and have three less inversions than Vortex but it has smoother transitions then Vortex.

I've ridden both of them, and have stopped ridding both of them. SOB does a nice number on my spine, and rib's. Vortex no leg room, no head rest extension, the jurky turn's are murder my neck, who ever bent the track did a horrible job.

I remember working my nerve up and riding Vortex back in '92 or '93. To me, at the time, riding Vortex was probably the craziest thing I'd ever done. It seemed so completely massive. Overwhelming.

However, I'd never noticed pain on it until the last couple years, even in the seats that aren't supposed to be painful. However, when I get there this season, I'm sure I'll try it out...

I have a problem with my sholders on The Vortex rubbing on the harness. Im 6'2 and the restraint almost doesnt buckle. Not because im fat but my sholders prevent it from going down.

Really? I am 6'4" and i have never had a problem getting the restraints buckled down.

I have a problem with my sholders on The Vortex rubbing on the harness. Im 6'2 and the restraint almost doesnt buckle. Not because im fat but my sholders prevent it from going down.

Really? I am 6'4" and i have never had a problem getting the restraints buckled down.

Could their be a possibility flightoffear1996 has a taller torso? You could just have longer legs?

HTCO, just sayin'...

Which one is rougher? I have to say Son of Beast.

I think that Son of Beast is an enjoyable ride, but it beats the snot out of you.

As for Vortex, I think it is a good ride. 5-1 is the ONLY seat on that ride that's any good IMO.

Any other seat that is not in the front of a car has me in pain the entire time.

Good, no pain, SoB is rougher, but I also have to agree with riding in the correct seat on Vortex as I tried 5-1 on Sunday based on the reco's and loved it.

As for the OTSR, like any ride, the restraints fit slightly different in each seat. Last ride in 2-2 was tight on the shoulders, Sunday in 5-1 had a good inch of room.

Two 6'0 + people in last row of Vortex... its hell. Theres absolutely NOOOO LEG ROOM and so your sitting sideways and then the shoulder rests go all the way down.. So the knees are dug into the seat and the shoulders hurt haha.

Same here, last time I rode it my knees dig into the back of the seat in front of me. And it always felt like the OTSR was a bar clamp on my shoulders. So its like my hole body would be in there tight, but my head is lose so on those rough snappy turns, it flopped around like a piece of meat! Then I would wake up with a sore neck in the morning. So I've retried from riding Vortex!

• 3 weeks later...

I think The Vortex is good, it is minor pain, but the inversions get my sinuses aggravated for I have allergies and it gives me a sinus headache. I ride it anyway, I love the first drop most of all on Vortex.

I think SOB gives more pain no question, but it is a different pain. Vortex I think jerks you around more left to right, but SOB is constant vibrating up and down. I hope that makes sense. I can see where some people like or dislike one more than the other.