Life After People

Loggers run was always a fun log flume

That really, really thought it was a rapids ride...and was better than quite a few of those, actually. Barr Engineering...who also designed Camden Park's, which no one would mistake for a rapids ride!

Put another way, Loggers Run didn't have or need a stinkin' elephant! :)

It was very interesting to learn that the Eagle is technically ready to fall right now. No offense to the fans (and I did enjoy the Eagle when I was younger) but to witness a coaster fall on its own would be something to watch (and not from a bulldozer)

From the first Queen City Discovery article, I ever did. Ryan and Dane helped out for this one:

More: http://queencitydiscovery.blogspot.com/200...visited_29.html

Simply awesome article and photo's. Thanks for posting the link, although it makes me sad that I had so many chances to go and ride Screechin Eagle and never did and now never will.

I remember going to LeSourdsville (Americana) in 1967 and 1973 during a school outing and swear the Eagle was called The Rocket. The ride had a sign comparing it to The Racer at Kings Island. When was it renamed to Screechin Eagle? I really like going to Americana and ride the horses in the river town section. I liked receiving a real glass mug when I ordered a root beer drink there. It is really a shame seeing how it has changed from its hay day.

If anybody remembered the old King Powdered Company, the same thing has happened to it. All of the land has been over grown and not much is left to see. If you go down old Magazine Hill in Kings Mills, right to the left of the horse shoe curve, you can see some of the foundations left from some of the buildings. Now all that is left is what is in pictures of how it used to look.

It is so sad to see Americana/LeSourdsville Lake in this condition.

The last time I was there was when Jerry Couch had it operating.

I also remember Fantasy Farm very well, went there when I was a kid. I believe it was right next to LeSourdsville Lake wasn't it?

The only time I can remember being at Americana was back in the early 90s (I think) for a CG&E company picnic (my dad works for them). As I recall, we were less than impressed with the condition of the park - it was fairly messy and the rides didn't appear to be all that safe. With Kings Island being a lot closer and having more to offer, we didn't see much point in going to Americana again.

I went twice in 1986 (23 years...wow!). Once in late July for my mom's company picnic (Dosimeter), and then in late August for my dad's (Dayton Superior). Both times the park was full and alive with vivid color, laughter and the smell of great food.

Local TV and radio commercials had the happy, musical jingle "The rage of the summer is Raging Thunder at Americana!" It was a fun, new log flume ride with a psyche-out sheet of water inside a tunnel that shut off right before your log hit it. You had to hike halfway around the lake to get in line for it, but it was worth it.

There was an attraction similar to Cinema 180, where you stood inside and watched a film projected on a huge, concave screen. It wasn't 3D, but it was fun (and funny) to watch.

A huge arcade at the front of the park had "Hercules", the world's largest (mass-produced) pinball machine, complete with giant flippers and double-sized pinballs.

The skyride still worked, and it took you over a lake that seemed a little dark and murky, but you could look down and see the reflection of your car, making it seem like you were much higher than you were.

Screeching Eagle was in desperate need of a paint job, and literally had areas of the superstructure that were rotted away, and actually swung and wobbled as the train went over the hill!

My favorite ride was the Electric Rainbow, a flat spin ride that tilts upward as centrifugal (or "-pedal?") forces held you against the wall.

I think I remember a flying scooters ride in the southwest corner of the park. It seemed to fly too slowly to 'snap'. I was too chicken to try anyway.

There was a local band who sang songs from the 50's and 60's called something like the "Chantelles" or "Mantells" or something. They wore purple sportcoats and had a zany stage show as they played hits from that distant era.

It was a good little park. So many memories, all from two small trips two decades ago. Sad to see it gone. Long live KI!