Kings Island has extended hours in July

CoastersRZ

im pretty sure the fireworks will be at midnight. why on earth would they have them at ten and have everyone confused thinking the park is closing? the fireworks have always signified that it was time to start heading out. and Kings Islands own statement says the park will have fireworks any day they are open 10pm or later.

Think about what you have written. The neighbors already have enough conniptions about the fireworks now. Think what would happen if they were at midnight.

The fireworks will be at 10....not midnight. That would be the last thing the park needs...intentionally and knowingly disturbing the neighbors' peace.

Ah but Terpy, you bring up the age-old attractive nuisance question of law, in which you and I are both well-versed. If people move near an airport, pig farm, drive in movie theatre, etc. and then complain about noise, etc. who is in the right? Near where I live is a 50 yr old gravel plant. Back when it first was there it was in the middle of nowwhere. Lo and behold, the city grew up around it with fancy strip malls, high end restaurants, luxury car dealers and the like. Now the neighbors want the plant gone, calling it a disturbance. They went to court. The courts basically say you can't complain if you move near these places because they were there first. When KI first opened, there was nothing for miles around. Now, I can look around any lift hill at the park and see homes. I would think if the park wants to hold fireworks at midnight, so be it. Now, if Mason has a noise ordinance, that's different. There is a seasonal outdoor ampitheatre near me (like riverbend) where the curfew is 11 on weekdays and 11:30 on weekends, based on city ordinance.

Well, Riverbend is located in Anderson Township, and there are no residences immediately near it. But the topic is very well noted. It always brings comes down to people looking out for their quality of life and property values, regardless of whether their home was built after or before the offending noise maker was established.

I know someone who lives near Kings Island, right near the river as a matter of fact. They can hear the fireworks real well.

Like someone said before, there was nothing around Kings Island when it opened in 1972. The properties that have built up since be it residential, commercial, or industrial knew coming in that there is a major amusement park right at their doorstep. They have no right to complain. But it does probably have an effect on property values and desirability to live near said attraction. Someone posted a picture on here from the offseason of a house back off of Western Row. You can see the hammerhead turn on Diamondback through the trees. I wonder how they feel.....

And I strongly suspect one reason the park continues to be able to have fireworks at 10 is because it always has. It has not had them always or even often at midnight...and this would be a new nuisance...one that the neighbors would have every right to complain about. It would be no different than if you moved next door to a residential area with zoning and a grandfathered dairy farm, then one day the farmer decided to add a huge, smelly compost pit and 1000 hogs....

I remember way back when I first worked at the park in the 80's that International Street was always open until Midnight on Saturdays. I was called the "power hour" due to the amount of revenue generated in food and merchandise in the hour between 11pm and midnight. I will agree with the post on here though that it does make for a late night for associates. If you work in food, your line will probably stay open until midnight, so close can't take place until the line is gone. I would guess most sups will not get out of the park until 1:30am or 2am, hope they are not scheduled for the early on Sunday!!!

I live very close to the park in Landen, and I have to tell you that after the first couple of nights of fireworks you become pretty immune to them. Half the time I don't even know they are going on. On a side note, does anyone know if KI has a July 4th extended fireworks show planned?

I recall during my last visit to the park during RWW that they had signs advertising 'Nights of Fire' for July 4 wknd, so while the details prob will be announced in teh next couple of weeks, I think it is general knowledge that an extended fireworks display can be expected that wknd.

WHAT!?!?!? NOOOO! We don't get out til close to midnight on most Saturday's during the peak season anyway...I don't want to be getting home at 2:30 in the morning. This is bull...

Suck it up. The park has had midnight closes before, nothing new. Not to mention the 11:00 closes on Saturdays for years and years. I always appreciated the extra money when I worked there. What's your attitude going to be like on the 1:00 am closes during Haunt?

And management does read these boards, and can have a good idea as to who's who. I know when I was in management there, I read PKIUnlimited and PKICentral plenty of times!

im pretty sure the fireworks will be at midnight. why on earth would they have them at ten and have everyone confused thinking the park is closing? the fireworks have always signified that it was time to start heading out. and Kings Islands own statement says the park will have fireworks any day they are open 10pm or later.

Remember, there are nebiorhoods aroundKI and im pretty sure they wouldn't like that.

I know someone who lives near Kings Island, right near the river as a matter of fact. They can hear the fireworks real well.

Like someone said before, there was nothing around Kings Island when it opened in 1972. The properties that have built up since be it residential, commercial, or industrial knew coming in that there is a major amusement park right at their doorstep. They have no right to complain. But it does probably have an effect on property values and desirability to live near said attraction. Someone posted a picture on here from the offseason of a house back off of Western Row. You can see the hammerhead turn on Diamondback through the trees. I wonder how they feel.....

Wrong. There are homes around Kings Island when it was built in 1972. I lived in Kings Mills since 1957 and the town has been there since the 1880's. We have heard the fire works ever since they began setting them off and could always set our clocks at 10PM when they went off. Even when they built Lion Country, we could hear the lions roar in the early morning when it was time for them to eat. Their roar carried for some distance. The vast majority of the home owners that live in "old" Kings Mills are retired and respect their sleep very much. So how can you say there was nothing around Kings Island when it opened in 1972? The fire workds always went off at 10PM, even when it closed at midnight.

Diamondback. The Beast. Firehawk. Delirium. White Water Canyon. Drop Tower and Invertigo. The thrills never seem to end at Kings Island. And now you can enjoy these world class thrills and more until MIDNIGHT on the following dates: July 4, 11, 18, 25 & August 1!

am i the only one that sees the irony of having white water canyon open till midnight?

they close the waterpark extra early when really they could probably snake out an extra hour or so, but yet they keep a ride thats pretty much secluded in the back of the woods open till midnight. i just think its odd, that people would want to get soaked on a ride right around closing. i guess maybe they are hoping for increased haystack dryer sales?

I think the waterpark closes before dark because it's hard to watch people in the pool, on the slide, etc. when it's dark. On WWC, you don't really 'watch' people and they have lights by the load/unload part. Also, I think WWC does close early sometimes. It's all about safety in the waterpark.

well i know thats why they close the waterpark, but i still dont understand why they wouldnt close down white water canyon, or even if they didnt why advertise it being open? its not a big crowd gatherer except maybe on really hot afternoons.