One day at any park at any point in history...

jandyb79

If you could spend one day at any park during any point in time, which park would you choose and during which period? I think of this often, as I think back at the 1983 and 1996 seasons at KI. 83 was the first year I visited the park and what memories I have of that day are pretty vague at best. I do, however, remember riding the Smurf ride with my dad and sister and Sunshine Turnpike with my mom. Also, I have so many good memories from the 96 season that I would like to see how different it is from the now transformed areas that I loved very much in that era (namely adventure village and the old Keelboat Canal in Rivertown). In the end, if I could choose any park at any point in history I would spend a day at Coney Island during the late 60's or early 70's. When I worked at Coney 9 years ago I tried to imagine what it must have been like to see the park in all it's glory. I watched videos of the Shooting Star and listened to my fathers memories of that great coaster and wondered what it would have been like to ride it. I remember taking the book "Goodbye Coney Island, Goodbye" to the park and camparing the pictures to some of the salvaged landmarks. Do any of you have a particular notion that you would like to see in person for the first time, or once more?

I'd love to see KI back when it first opened, just to see how it's grown and changed.

But really, I'd take Magic Mountain right now...that place was great 10 years ago when I was there, but they've since added a host of awesome coasters that look CRAZY

If time itself were re-created, I of course would want to go back to Kings Island opening day in 1972, with my Dad and my then stepmother, who sacrificed greatly to get me there. I'd value being with them again for a day far more, of course, than revisiting the park itself.

If it was only me that could go and visit as an outsider, I'd want to go to any of the Luna Parks or to Coney Island in Brooklyn and all its parks in the 1940's or Long Beach in California.

If the original poster had not limited this to history, I'd also like to visit Kings Island, 100 years from now...just to see what had happened by then!

2 choices for me.

1927 Opening Day at Crystal Beach to ride the Crystal Beach Cyclone. An estimated 75,000 people showed up to see to see and ride this twisted maze of wood.

The second date would be the Summer of 1995 at Opryland, the park was still in its glory and plans had not been made yet to tear it down and pave it over. One more summer with my parents at this park would be amazing, I still have my parents and memories, but the park is long gone.

From a historical standpoint, my vote goes to Opening Day of Disneyland in 1955..I'd love to chat with Walt Disney and listen to all of his ideas that would eventually bear fruit! A close second would be going back to the late 70s when my Dad would take my brother and I on a whim to KI to ride all the then-awesome HB rides!

My first vote goes to April 14, 1979- the day The Beast opened. Just to see how different it looked back there in person at the time.

Second vote goes to April 29, 1972- the day Kings Island opened. Just to see how different the park looked then than it does today.

Third vote goes to October 1, 1971- the day Magic Kingdom and the Walt Disney Resort opened. It would be cool to see what the resort area and the tourist area surrounding the resort looked like compared to today.

Off topic, but I would like to see what my hometown and Cincinnati in general looked like the day I was born. That would be July 7, 1987.

I agree with Gabe just to be in the presence of Walt Disney would be worth it.

Before Disneyland opened, he actually spent time at Coney Island and got

several visions for his Disneyland.

From CI History:

In fact, the park had such a stellar reputation in the industry, that a gentleman by the name of Walt Disney visited Coney Island in the early 1950's to get ideas for Disneyland. He presented the park a check for $1.00; signed by Disney, for consulting services that remains in the park's archives.

So definitely, Coney Island in the 50's through 71.

My first vote goes to April 14, 1979- the day The Beast opened. Just to see how different it looked back there in person at the time.

Second vote goes to April 29, 1972- the day Kings Island opened. Just to see how different the park looked then than it does today.

Third vote goes to October 1, 1971- the day Magic Kingdom and the Walt Disney Resort opened. It would be cool to see what the resort area and the tourist area surrounding the resort looked like compared to today.

Off topic, but I would like to see what my hometown and Cincinnati in general looked like the day I was born. That would be July 7, 1987.

I remember going to the MK in about 1977 when I was 4 years old. I can tell you that we stayed in the Contemporary, which, at opening, was one of only 3 hotels on property (polynesian and Fort Wilderness being the others). The area around DW was mostly sleepy little streets with not much around. There was no reason to go off disney property. Universal and sea world wouldnt come along until years later. Roy Disney (Walt's brother, since deceased, not to be confused with the other Roy Disney, Walt's grandson, who is a dissdent shareholder today) opened the park.

I'd like to go back to KI in 1981 to take a crack at The Bat. I love suspended roller coasters and would really have liked to take a ride on the first one. Also, a ride on King Cobra in '84 would be nice. Alas no matter what I never even had the chance to see The Bat. My mom told me several times of how she chickened out when in line to ride. I get angry at her everytime she tells me this. At least she coulde of gave me some kind of perspective.

My top 4 choices, all before my time:

1) Ludlow Lagoon early 1900's

2) Riverview Park (Chicago) late 1950's early 1960's

3) Coney Island Cincinnati Mid 1940's through mid 1950's

4) I'd love to walk around old Cedar Point in the late 30's, with the knowledge of what it is today.