Avoiding the front gate photographers

KIAlumnus

my grandparents don't carry great cameras around, they always want their picture taken in front of the fountains, I guess it's a tradition.

If the Kaman employees regularly offered to take the pictures in front of the fountains, they probably would reach their quotas more easily and make more sales. That's one of the things that annoys me so much about it, they ambush you the moment you walk away from the gates: "stop, right there, as you're trying to get your bearings and put away your wallet, with the picturesque dark turnstiles area as a backdrop. Don't you want to memorialize this epic moment?"

If it was a pic in front of the KI sign in front of the fountains, or anything else attractive or indicative of being somewhere special, it would make sense to pay someone else to take your picture. But it is clear they just are trying to force as many snaps as possible, without any respect to them being good pictures, something someone would be willing to pay for. The only worse background they could find in the park than the underside of the front gate would probably be a restroom.

• Like 13

My friends work  front gate photos and its a hard job. We have to have a certain goal they  have to hit. Its hard enough to hit that goal. Just get a few photos done nothing says your forced to get them. They dont like getting photos as much as you do but we still get photos when they are off because they know its hard on every one. Just go and smile take a few pictures and head off. You dont have to go view them. It just makes there boss happy and they live to have a paycheck to help out with school or cars. most of to all don't spend there money on stupid things like drugs they work hard just so they can excel in life and have some experience in certain fields of photography 

Just stop my leisure time for something I don't want to participate in? Sorry, no. My time is valuable to me and my leisure time exponentially more so. I understand they have a job that has crappy pressures to it, but that's not something I find a valuable use of my time, even if it is just 30sec. That's 30 seconds less fun I'm having in a place I drove 90min and paid good money to go have fun. Besides....

I honestly think they should get rid of the front gate photographers. A lot of times, even after I'll say no, they'll say something like, "Are you sure?" or "It'll only take a quick second." which really irks me.

Why is the park in the business of employing people who are harassing guests the moment they enter the park?

Yes. They can be annoying. But usually it only takes 2 times of saying no thank you. If you are polite to them. They don't mind it. I see a lot of people actually getting the pictures and a lot of people looking at them throughout the day. While the number of takers could go down I thnk it wouldn't be a bad idea for them to spread them out. Maybe have them so there are different rides like Banshee or Diamondback in the background. I have seen them try this a couple times and I think it would be a better option then having them swarm you the moment you scan your pass/ticket.

I shouldn't have to say no twice. Once should be enough. If you ask a guest who paid to be there if they'd like/do anything and they say no, that should be the end of it. Spreading them around the park won't change my answer. I simply do not like having my picture taken and even if I'm doing nothing but standing in line for a ride, I'd still say no (politely).

• Like 4

That's the thing that irks me. They have the photogs spread out so you can't get by them either under the International Restaurant or on the sides of the fountain. There could be a line of people waiting to get the photography done in front of the fountain but no one is there working. Also the level of photographs has significantly went down hill. I'm all about learning your trade but what good is it for the family of 4 to get a memory photo when it's blurry or the composite of the shot is so bad it's comical, or even if the photog can't judge head room, personal space, or anything.m else. I used to stop and be nice and look at the photo to see if it was worth buying. The answer is no. I can take a better photo in selfie mode. At least my shot composite and background work for the shot I'm taking.

If it wasn't for the cheap entertainment and kiddie rides that my son likes, I wouldn't waste my money next year on a pass. The quality of employees as a whole has dropped. Food service, photogs, rides, games....

It's not right or fair to compare Kings Island to a place like Disney but I'm going to anyway. I have no qualms dropping $2000+ for a trip to Disney because I know what I'm getting in terms of service. It's hard to justify spending $200 for two adult passes for next year since the service is no better than you get at McDonalds....

I had a family member file a lost and found item at Walt Disney world for my nephews lost Pluto stuffed animal. A few weeks later WDW sent her a brand new Pluto saying they forgot him in the park and since Pluto can't travel alone he brought his pal Mickey. They sent her a large Plush Mickey and Pluto. Meanwhile, KI can't orchestrate a phone call to apologize for the mistake with the lockers, or have enough employees to work a good stand... I imagine a lost and found ticket at KI finds its way into the trash.

KI is my home park, and it holds very special memories for me and my son enjoys seeing Snoopy and some of the bonus stuff the Park does is great but the basics (good photogs, employees, etc) the park misses on so so badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

My friends work  front gate photos and its a hard job. We have to have a certain goal they  have to hit. Its hard enough to hit that goal. Just get a few photos done nothing says your forced to get them. They dont like getting photos as much as you do but we still get photos when they are off because they know its hard on every one. Just go and smile take a few pictures and head off. You dont have to go view them. It just makes there boss happy and they live to have a paycheck to help out with school or cars. most of to all don't spend there money on stupid things like drugs they work hard just so they can excel in life and have some experience in certain fields of photography 

To echo what someone else said, sorry but no. If they don't like their job, they can quit. This reminds me of the people who work in retail then complain they have to work Thanksgiving/black Friday.

• Like 5

Rather than accost guests as they arrive to have pictures taken with the parking lot in the background, they should have them turn around for a fountain/tower picture.  THEN hand the the card and go Disney on guests and disperse through the park and add photos to their "account" with other iconic KI backdrops: Racer in Coney Mall, Vortex, Banshee.  They'd sell more this way easily.

• Like 7

We loved our Disney Photogs. Everywhere we wanted a picture they were there. We gladly paid the 150$ or whatever it was for our group photos before we got there. We got on ride photos, we got pictures in front of buildings, with characters. I believe with all of the stock photos and unique photos combined for a group of 6 adults and 2 toddlers for 5 days was 500 photos?

• Like 4

Getting the backdrop of the fountains is a good idea. Is the Dino still in front of the fountain?

I recall going to KI with a really ditzy cousin, she took her child and three others cousins.

And the end the end of the night, there are four wind blown, sweaty, tired, dripping with blue ice cream kids.

She wants their picture to remember the day.

"Are sure this how you want to remember them? Tired and mussed and gooey?"

If she had just stopped for thirty seconds when we arrived, we would have a cute momento of smiling, happy, enthusiastic, clean kids and maybe even a mascot,

Another time, I had this awesome evening with that man I married and my cousin Mike. It was an unbelievably great day.

And I have a keynote photo to remember it by.

It just takes thirty seconds- less time than it takes to whip out your cell phone.

Wait, they don't turn you around and take a photo with a nice background??? That's just stupid...

And I also feel the price point is crazy high... I'll stick with my routine of asking someone passing by to pass take my photo with my phone and have it printed the next day somewhere for 15 cents...

• Like 5

Kudos to Shark for mentioning the quality of the picture.

For me: we have traveled 6 hours, already spent a good amount of money, looked forward to entering the gate, discussed what ride will be first, and waited in line to get into the park.  At this point I don't know who is more excited, me or the kids.

Then we get asked to take time out about about getting a pic taken......

The times we have said: "Yup, let's do it!", only one time did the pic come out great.

Now we were all excited about getting on the rides, took out what we consider very precious time, only to have the pic be so poor.

Our attitude has become: it's a waste of time.

• Like 5

Doesn't help when the photog doesn't listen

Hey lets get the fountains

1.2.3 smile

But I want the fountains

Take this card after 2....

Throws card in garbage.

That is 100% true from Sunday when my nephew was in costume and we went as a whole family.

• Like 8

I may have shared this already, but...Once visited the park and posed for a pic. We really wanted to commemorate that particular trip and decided to purchase the photo at the end of the day. Well, we could not buy the photo. The lens of the camera had fogged over, so, it was a picture of white with faint hints of 5 people. Disappointing. I now walk with my head down and press through the WAIT WAIT! JUST ONE PIC! Nope. No thanks.

• Like 5

Annoying?  Yes.  Going to sour my day?  No.  Sometimes when I go with a friend, we will stop for the photograph and do something really silly.  Other times, we will split at the entrance and act alone until we are past the photogs.  Other times, it is really nice to be alone.

• Like 4

Here's my thing: if you're talking "best day of the year" and trying to highlight the park's strengths, place a photographer right in front of the fountains (like, where the park logo is), one in front of the Snoopy at the entrance to Planet Snoopy, one on the runway toward Flight of Fear's hangar, one in front of Banshee's station, etc. Those are the places you should be capturing, and those are the places where people would want.

The photographers should be available and well-marked, but guests initiate. You know folks want their photo in front of the fountain, so build a little queue and the photographers can snap one on their camera, and one on the guest's phone. At Disney Parks, a photographer may see that you're about to take a group photo and offer to take it for you. Sure, they'll snap one on their own camera, too, but they're there to assist, not to bludgeon you with low quality, mass-produced photography.

It's almost as if Cedar Fair's photography has become a caricature of itself. Like, they're TRAINED to race up in front of you, hold a camera up, and yell "SQUEEZE TOGETHER FOR A QUICK PHOTO" to every group from behind the lens. That doesn't exude quality. It feels cheap and tacky and awful. If you DO say yes, you literally squeeze together and see the camera flash 4 seconds later, then you're off. No balancing, no focusing, no steadying the camera. It's a cartoon version of the process, and apparently they see no value in changing it.

Put photographers where people want them. Once little Timmy conquers Flight of Fear, a well-trained, helpful photographer with a basic or better understanding of photography is ready to take their time and set up a high-quality photo in front of the hangar. 

• Like 9

If you really wanna stick it to these people, how about when they ask to take your photo you say sure and hand them your cell phone. But really, these photographers are becoming a thing of the past. The only plus would be that maybe the photos have a specific KI border around them, i wouldn't know, I've only bought into these one time at Universal Studios Orlando. In short, a vast majority of people can take their own photo nowadays. 

• Like 2

Here's my thing: if you're talking "best day of the year" and trying to highlight the park's strengths, place a photographer right in front of the fountains (like, where the park logo is), one in front of the Snoopy at the entrance to Planet Snoopy, one on the runway toward Flight of Fear's hangar, one in front of Banshee's station, etc. Those are the places you should be capturing, and those are the places where people would want.

And maybe one under the Coney Mall sign! Oh wait...

Kidding aside, I completely agree with your points. Like Disney, they should have easily identifiable photographers in areas that you actually want your picture taken. After my recent trip to Disney I saw an operation in which the in park photographers were sought out by the guests, rather than something you plotted how to avoid with your group as you walked from the car.

Bombarding guests with photographers, hassling you for hastily taken picture with the beautiful new turnstiles in as a backdrop is not the first impression the park should be going for.

• Like 6

Good point about Disney.  We were hunting them down, and waiting in lines of 3-4 families deep to have them take it.  And guess what, they really knew what they were doing.  There was at one point, no less than 4-5 photographers all getting pictures of families infront of the castle on the main street.  We were one of them.  And you could not find the other people behind us getting their pictures taken either.  Its like the photographer knew what he/she was doing and was trained to frame it to make it your photo and not just a photo.   I remember one of the photogs had a trainer.  And there was a group of people being trained to take photos.  Very fun and unique.  

Man I really do love KI but I really really miss the old days of the park.  

• Like 4

I wonder why I'm not bothered by it. Pose silly, go on about my day.

The one picture I bought was dandy. I have it on my bookshelf. Except I'll have to look again- I think we have Magenta Lizard's photo idea of the John in the background.

In all these years, I've only bought 1 photo. We didn't take our phones into the park that day.

They're just kids doing the job they were given, it's not like they are stealing souls, here.

I've gotten so used to doing it, it's just part of going through the park like going through a turnstile.

I like bkroz's ideas.

• Like 2

You never get a second chance to make a first impression....and being harassed by a whining, begging, pleading so-called photographer sure isn't a good way to start a best day ever...

I agree it is very annoying, I usually try to avoid the photographers when I get in the park. I'm glad they are just at the front of the park instead of throughout the park.

• Like 2

I've only taken one this year out of my 6 visits to KI. I have not had a picture taken at any other park (2 days Cedar Point and St. Louis, 1 for Holiday World, Silver Dollar City, and Great America). I find it really annoying and I only took one because I was with a friend and she wanted to take a picture for no reason. We didn't even buy it, and instead just took pictures with our phones. 

• Like 3

That's the thing that irks me. They have the photogs spread out so you can't get by them either under the International Restaurant or on the sides of the fountain. There could be a line of people waiting to get the photography done in front of the fountain but no one is there working. Also the level of photographs has significantly went down hill. I'm all about learning your trade but what good is it for the family of 4 to get a memory photo when it's blurry or the composite of the shot is so bad it's comical, or even if the photog can't judge head room, personal space, or anything.m else. I used to stop and be nice and look at the photo to see if it was worth buying. The answer is no. I can take a better photo in selfie mode. At least my shot composite and background work for the shot I'm taking.

If it wasn't for the cheap entertainment and kiddie rides that my son likes, I wouldn't waste my money next year on a pass. The quality of employees as a whole has dropped. Food service, photogs, rides, games....

It's not right or fair to compare Kings Island to a place like Disney but I'm going to anyway. I have no qualms dropping $2000+ for a trip to Disney because I know what I'm getting in terms of service. It's hard to justify spending $200 for two adult passes for next year since the service is no better than you get at McDonalds....

I had a family member file a lost and found item at Walt Disney world for my nephews lost Pluto stuffed animal. A few weeks later WDW sent her a brand new Pluto saying they forgot him in the park and since Pluto can't travel alone he brought his pal Mickey. They sent her a large Plush Mickey and Pluto. Meanwhile, KI can't orchestrate a phone call to apologize for the mistake with the lockers, or have enough employees to work a good stand... I imagine a lost and found ticket at KI finds its way into the trash.

KI is my home park, and it holds very special memories for me and my son enjoys seeing Snoopy and some of the bonus stuff the Park does is great but the basics (good photogs, employees, etc) the park misses on so so badly.

Right ON!!!!!  The second paragraph absolutely nails it.

• Like 4