Avoiding the front gate photographers

KIAlumnus

That's the thing that irks me. They have the photogs spread out so you can't get by them either under the International Restaurant or on the sides of the fountain. There could be a line of people waiting to get the photography done in front of the fountain but no one is there working. Also the level of photographs has significantly went down hill. I'm all about learning your trade but what good is it for the family of 4 to get a memory photo when it's blurry or the composite of the shot is so bad it's comical, or even if the photog can't judge head room, personal space, or anything.m else. I used to stop and be nice and look at the photo to see if it was worth buying. The answer is no. I can take a better photo in selfie mode. At least my shot composite and background work for the shot I'm taking.

If it wasn't for the cheap entertainment and kiddie rides that my son likes, I wouldn't waste my money next year on a pass. The quality of employees as a whole has dropped. Food service, photogs, rides, games....

It's not right or fair to compare Kings Island to a place like Disney but I'm going to anyway. I have no qualms dropping $2000+ for a trip to Disney because I know what I'm getting in terms of service. It's hard to justify spending $200 for two adult passes for next year since the service is no better than you get at McDonalds....

I had a family member file a lost and found item at Walt Disney world for my nephews lost Pluto stuffed animal. A few weeks later WDW sent her a brand new Pluto saying they forgot him in the park and since Pluto can't travel alone he brought his pal Mickey. They sent her a large Plush Mickey and Pluto. Meanwhile, KI can't orchestrate a phone call to apologize for the mistake with the lockers, or have enough employees to work a good stand... I imagine a lost and found ticket at KI finds its way into the trash.

KI is my home park, and it holds very special memories for me and my son enjoys seeing Snoopy and some of the bonus stuff the Park does is great but the basics (good photogs, employees, etc) the park misses on so so badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right ON!!!!! The second paragraph absolutely nails it.
I haven't been to the park this year to verify about the employees, but shark6495, the story about Pluto is fantastic.

I joined the Twitter feed "Teddy Bear Lost and Found" and always wondered how the Disney always managed to find the stuffed toy a kid lost in the park. That story is just sweet.

• Like 2

Disney understands and upholds a high level of customer service. From what I have heard Disneyland has a growing annual pass sales, Carowinds always put emphasis on attendance being 75% season pass holders back in 2006. Carowinds also stressed customer service to the ride operators, it doesn't seem like they do that anymore. The ride ops this year just seemed to be there nothing more. Now when I would run across the few Paramount's Carowinds employees that I knew and a few I worked with, they are always upholding the old Paramount standards. Despite having been personally banned by the current head of security at Carowinds she will still take the time to thank me for visiting the park and make me feel welcome.

• Like 3

Interesting, Rollernut.  I have never been to Carowinds.  But I am planning on a visit in 2016.

In 2014, the level of customer service was what wowed me back to Kings Island.  I had let my season pass expire for a few years and went once or twice.  In May 2014, a friend I went on a Thursday in May...a very cold, rainy, miserable day.  Every employee went out of the way to make us feel welcome.

In 2015, almost every contact with a park employee has been positive.  A couple surly food service employees, but ride ops, sweeps, guest relations, everyone has been attentive, cheerful and positive.

I have only been to Disney once, when I was 5 years old, so I have no basis of comparison, but I am satisfied with the customer service at Kings Island.  Will be interesting to see how it is at other CF parks next year.

You can be super nice and a genuine good person and yet have no talent at your current place of employment.

I think a lot of the complaints are more about the quality of the work being done and not the quality of the employee's moral fiber.

The people who take 10 minutes to make a cheese coney are probably very nice but are still not good at their job. Same for the photographers. They may be a bit pushy but overall are nice. But they can't frame a shot or work in a background it's a reflection of the talent they have for the job.

The Pluto story with more details. Basically my sister went and filled out the lost and found form. If they located it they would send it to the hotel or to her house (they actually mailed my moms hat back that she left by the pool).

Disney also told us that if you lost your stuffed animal that you purchased in the park (with receipt) they would give you a new one right away. But since the Pluto was bough before our trip they said there wasn't much they could do. Needless to say that receiving a Pluto and Mickey in the mail was a pleasant surprise and made my nephews day.

Rightfully so, Disney has this whole thing down to a science. From building anticipation to sending you home it's all about customer service and creating future customers. Cheap (for a contained audience) food and drinks to all inclusive photo packages it's made to make you think "wow that was a bit expensive but look how fun and super easy everything was. " with that knowledge maybe you plan another trip in a few years, buy into the DVC or plan a return trip for 10 years or more. Either way I would guess that 60% or more return to Disney.

CF on the other hand still seems to be stuck in the customer right now versus future customer mindset. That could be because as a whole regional theme parks are bought and sold while Disney is building or working on a giant brand.

• Like 5

I agree. But, a company is made of the employees. Yes, the food service speed is terrible. We have discussed that ad nauseam here. But in the end, I chose to renew my food plan because of smiling faces. Just like I got a gold pass in '14 and '15 and a platinum pass for '16. The employees made a difference. My last year as a pass holder was in '09 and I left because of terrible customer service. Something has changed in those five years.

Maybe one day I'll go back to Disney. I'm sure to have fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Agreed. They are nicer than in the years past but it would also be nice to get a meal off of the meal plan in less time than it takes to wait for The Beast (only slightly sarcastic, it took 2 hours for a group of 4 adults and 3 toddlers to get our food starting at standing in line to finally receiving it).

I'm renewing my pass because of the unique opportunities the park has and the few but great shining stars that make a trip worth it. I think I may let my meal plan slide for next year

• Like 2

A food server with a bad attitude makes me not frequent the stand anymore, but if I get a not so perfect batch of fries with a pleasant worker, I usually chalk up the food order to a rushed or off day.

I'm not the only person the park, and usually if the food is not a ten, all I need to do is look around me to see how many customers are swarming the stand. A worker has to be ready for rush crowds, but when they hit, it still feels like a locomotive barreling down on you.

• Like 2

Agreed. They are nicer than in the years past but it would also be nice to get a meal off of the meal plan in less time than it takes to wait for The Beast (only slightly sarcastic, it took 2 hours for a group of 4 adults and 3 toddlers to get our food starting at standing in line to finally receiving it).

In 2014,  it took longer for a friend and I to get refills at The Chicken Shack than it did for the other 2 members of the group to ride Banshee, in her inaugural year, TWICE on a Thursday,

• Like 3

If you really wanna stick it to these people, how about when they ask to take your photo you say sure and hand them your cell phone. 

I really like how Hershey did it when I went there this summer. They not only took the photo they needed (with their camera), but also took a photo of us with my cell phone. 

• Like 4

I guess I'm not a very particular customer, but I've gotten more than enough waived dinners by managers that decided it took too long for my service, though I didn't notice the time. Maybe it's because I've worked a lot of service jobs in high school?

I think because I'm not far away from KI, and just go over for a few hours at a time, I dunno, but I'm not that demanding, I guess. Perhaps I just lose time in the park by looking around and people watching.

I've only became angry once in the park, and that was not the fault of the park, but another patron.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

My prediction is Kaman is out. FunPix includes all the on ride photography, and shows on the map as being the front gate photography now too. I'd much easier believe Kaman won't be doing front gate than that they will be taking over the whole thing.

I don't think they're still listed as a sponsor either.

Edit: never mind I looked at the map and found I was wrong on both counts. Dang it, I misinterpreted it when I first saw it and was hopeful the dreadful front gate photography was a thing of the past

I don't really mind stopping for 1 picture. But when they do the crap of mom and dad together, siblings, then all together, it just takes longer. But I usually do just say ' no thanks' if they do try to stop or just do it just for them to have something to do. But like I said in the other forum. All I have to do is get out my phone and get a picture. I don't really care for all the other added stuff anyway

• Like 3

Much like a discussion that was going on with games a few weeks ago, it's important to remember that, for many families, a trip to Kings Island is a HUGE deal.  And might only happen once, or once every few (or many) years.  I know that those photographers many years ago captured moments with people that I most likely will never visit Kings Island with again.

• Like 6

Still haven't added FunPix to our passes for this year...yet.  I suspect I will add it, at which point our family will be taking them up on those pictures about every time we go.  It's not atypical for my wife to haul around our camera inside the park.  Drives me nuts.  No more, I hope.

• Like 2

I'm more than willing to get one picture taken. It does get annoying though when they want 4-5 different poses/combinations. It's a bit much for my liking. I always give in and do it though because I feel sorry for them because that job would be my worst nightmare.

• Like 3

Most likely that team of photographers won't be utilized how they were before. FunPix will have a photo spot at the entrance and from the way it is described, it sounds like FunPix patrons will go up to the photographer and get their photo taken and scan and share

Ya, and they made it sound very much like Disney's PhotoPass service.  There will be "roaming" photographers and photographers at certain attraction locations that will be available to scan your FunPix card and add photos to it.  Similarly to how you'd add pictures to your MagicBand down in Disney World.

• Like 3