Avoiding the front gate photographers

KIAlumnus

I have found going through the gates alone (which is 99% of the time I go to the park) will stop that.

Most of the time, I go to KI by myself. They still ask me! At least KI has a decent photo spot, unlike Worlds of Fun, where they took your picture against a wooden fence on the path to the entrance. :)

Yea I usually stop and get my picture taken. I mean why not. Does it hurt to stop for 10 seconds to get your picture?

The last two times I was at the park with my GF I brought a single use camera and taken my own shots.

I find it difficult to avoid being approached by them for my picture, as I have often been told I have a golden personality. However, I'm also wanted in 10 states and the District of Columbia, so I try to avoid getting my picture taken at all costs. After all, someone might get my picture, and then someone else might recognize me, or they might employ facial recognition software, and then I'm in trouble. So I avoid getting my picture taken.

:blink:

I work at Keyhole photo and the things people do everyday just amazes me.

Have any of you ever thought that our parents made us get summer jobs and this is all that is open for hiring?

I have to pay for a car, insurance, and school.

At least we are out there working and not sitting on our asses playing video games and eating ****.

We dont like attacking you or being out there for 5 hours straight watching our friends snub us to go ride rides. Our job really does suck and on top of that people are SOOOOOO rude. (preteens are the worst!)

By the end of the day I am so sunburnt, my legs hurt, and i have been told off by at least 20 ppl to only have made about 50 bucks.

so next time you say something ****ty or waste our time put yourself in our position.

who likes being *****ed out everyday?

oh and btw we have a certain shooting percentage we have to make every hour or we are in trouble and we get paid hourly with bonuses for pictures sold.

oh and we are told to be full of energy and second ask ppl and do everything you ppl pointed out or we will get into trouble.

I have only one thing to say about this post. No matter where you work. You will always have @$$ holes.

I find it difficult to avoid being approached by them for my picture, as I have often been told I have a golden personality. However, I'm also wanted in 10 states and the District of Columbia, so I try to avoid getting my picture taken at all costs. After all, someone might get my picture, and then someone else might recognize me, or they might employ facial recognition software, and then I'm in trouble. So I avoid getting my picture taken.

:blink:

.. Apparently I'm the only one who got that joke. :lol: It's from an Apple ad many many years ago.

I work at Keyhole photo and the things people do everyday just amazes me.

Have any of you ever thought that our parents made us get summer jobs and this is all that is open for hiring?

I have to pay for a car, insurance, and school.

At least we are out there working and not sitting on our asses playing video games and eating ****.

We dont like attacking you or being out there for 5 hours straight watching our friends snub us to go ride rides. Our job really does suck and on top of that people are SOOOOOO rude. (preteens are the worst!)

By the end of the day I am so sunburnt, my legs hurt, and i have been told off by at least 20 ppl to only have made about 50 bucks.

so next time you say something ****ty or waste our time put yourself in our position.

who likes being *****ed out everyday?

oh and btw we have a certain shooting percentage we have to make every hour or we are in trouble and we get paid hourly with bonuses for pictures sold.

oh and we are told to be full of energy and second ask ppl and do everything you ppl pointed out or we will get into trouble.

i'm sorry to hear you hate your job, and i must ask do you get in trouble for people not buying the picture or you not having enough pictures taken?

We don't all hate our jobs, I have coming five years now. I have tons of fun working at KI, but it is still a job I'd much rather stay at home all day...

The job is as fun as you make it, sure people can be rude but who cares, I will never see them again, or atleast I won't know I've seen them before or not. Yes, a photographer can get in trouble for not taking enough pictures, but you have to try to not get enough or just not care. And we know that people people say that they already have one just to get past us, it is just easier to move on to the next group than argue.

KeyholeSupervisor,

I will assume that because of your user name that you truly are a supervisor...and if that is the case I would just like to say that I hope the poster "keyholephoto24" does not get into any trouble for posting his thoughts...with the exception of the few "bad" words I think his post actually helped people understand the job a little bit more PLUS I think it could actually help your department take a few more photos. My family usually just walk on by...but now I will make it an effort to let them take a photo, and who knows I may actually purchase it. (I have done that in the past...but not too often...I usually purchase the Scooby photos in NU.)

Keep up the good work! :)

KeyholeSupervisor,

I will assume that because of your user name that you truly are a supervisor...and if that is the case I would just like to say that I hope the poster "keyholephoto24" does not get into any trouble for posting his thoughts...with the exception of the few "bad" words I think his post actually helped people understand the job a little bit more PLUS I think it could actually help your department take a few more photos. My family usually just walk on by...but now I will make it an effort to let them take a photo, and who knows I may actually purchase it. (I have done that in the past...but not too often...I usually purchase the Scooby photos in NU.)

Keep up the good work! :)

I can't make everyone like their job, I know many employees have this opinion and I would never get someone in trouble for expressing their opinion. In fact I am glad they did, the more people feel bad for us the more they will get their pictures taken, hopefully. I just wanted people to know that some of us like working at KeyHole.

At least KI has a decent photo spot, unlike Worlds of Fun.

Well, they do, but its under used. The argument I have is the Keyhole gate photogs scramble to take your picture as soon as you come through the gate. There's usually a flurry of them competing for photo ops, so they stop folks as soon as they can. No prob.

However, who wants a picture with the ugly, dark entrance building behind them? The Fountains are the most picturesque area in the park, but the photogs take your pic opposing them.

I'd suggest the smarter photog would offer to take the pictures in front of the fountain. Seems to me better taken photos would outsell volumous invasive ones.

Shaggy

Why is it that they want to take a picture of you with the front gate behind you and 10,000 other park guests scrambling to get in. Why can't they spin ya around and get a georgous picture of you with the Eiffel Tower or the fountain in the background. Makes for a lot better frame and I'm sure they would sell tons more! "s-M-i-L-E" :lol: {POOF} :blink: (oops...sorry about the flash!)

while at KI yesterday i ended up avoiding the phtographers, but as i headed back to FOF and FH they were taking pictures facing racer!? This is new, i guess they found out about our thread and are now heading to different places for photos :D

I really don't mind the pics. We were there Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday..and each day, we took 3 pics. I don't mind. I keep the pink slips and view them online a week or so later, and add them to my album there. Imma workin' on me a collection lol

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

My friends work  front gate photos and its a hard job. We have to have a certain goal they  have to hit. Its hard enough to hit that goal. Just get a few photos done nothing says your forced to get them. They dont like getting photos as much as you do but we still get photos when they are off because they know its hard on every one. Just go and smile take a few pictures and head off. You dont have to go view them. It just makes there boss happy and they live to have a paycheck to help out with school or cars. most of to all don't spend there money on stupid things like drugs they work hard just so they can excel in life and have some experience in certain fields of photography 

• Like 1

scruffty1,

there are people that would rather not have their picture, nor a picture of their family taken when they have no intention of purchasing those pictures.  KI owns those the rights to those pictures up to and perhaps even after the point of sale.  While I highly doubt KI would do anything with those pictures, other than destroy them at the end of the day, if you have no intention of buying the picture, why put yourself and/or your family at risk of a rouge employee doing something to the picture you'd rather not have done (I know its very small risk, but a risk non the less).

20 years ago, the front of the park picture made sense, most people didn't carry a camera into the park and getting a picture at the start of the day with your family or friends was desirable to a lot of people.  Today, a sizable % of their patrons carry a decent to great camera around with them at all times, and they don't have to pay for the rights to that picture.  Its obviously not the fault of the  employees, but I think it remains a terrible PR decision.  Rather than presenting their patrons with the majestic view that hits you as you pass under the main gate and into the ambiance of the tower and fountains, you are too often bombarded with someone you have never meet asking, if not demanding that they take a picture of you.  Not only is it annoying, but it is no longer a needed service.  The on ride photos are a bit different in that there is no way to capture that picture w/o the park doing so, but the group photo at the front of the park, yeah, I can get that on my own if I really needed one.  I wonder how the park would feel if I went up to one of their photo takers and asked that they take my family photo with my phone instead?  I'll guess they wouldn't support that very well.

• Like 6

One of them learned a valuable lesson yesterday.  He tried to step right in front of me and take a picture, and ask at the same time as I was walking by. Was not a wise move as he looked to be 140 lbs soaking wet and I'm at 220. Just say he and his camera went for a spin.  For the record, I did not run into him intentionally.   I think they are more off an annoyance anymore.  I agree with Medford, the service is no longer needed.

• Like 4

I had a good friend who was a PR rep for one of the most prominent amusement parks in America. If he was pursued doggedly by a commissioned picture taker, he'd insist on taking THEIR picture. More than once, this did not go well. Once, at a park then owned by Mr. Ed Hart, he was threatened with arrest. He told the local Mounties he was only doing what the park itself was doing. Nothing more was said.

• Like 4

I feel bad for the people who have to do that job. It really isn't a needed service anymore. I despise having photos taken, but I try to be nice to them and I just do it anyway. (Not that I'm saying anyone else should have to- do what's best for you!)

I've had to push credit cards when I was hired for two totally unrelated jobs in the past, and it is NOT fun dealing with mean people who can't think for a second and realize this is just someone being paid minimum wage to do a task.

Cedar Fair should get rid of the photos, it's an outdated practice, but it's always good to be kind to the workers until they do.

• Like 5

Yes. They can be annoying. But usually it only takes 2 times of saying no thank you. If you are polite to them. They don't mind it. I see a lot of people actually getting the pictures and a lot of people looking at them throughout the day. While the number of takers could go down I thnk it wouldn't be a bad idea for them to spread them out. Maybe have them so there are different rides like Banshee or Diamondback in the background. I have seen them try this a couple times and I think it would be a better option then having them swarm you the moment you scan your pass/ticket.

• Like 5

I honestly think they should get rid of the front gate photographers. A lot of times, even after I'll say no, they'll say something like, "Are you sure?" or "It'll only take a quick second." which really irks me.

I had that happen to me lol, but I can see both sides of the story, my grandparents don't carry great cameras around, they always want their picture taken in front of the fountains, I guess it's a tradition.
  • Like 2

So wait- I always get my picture taken when asked, but if My group were to pose for pictures individually, they will make their quota faster? Would that be allowed?

We've always had our pictures taken as a group- just the one photo. Can we take a group, and then individuals, or would that be cheating?

• Like 1

Maybe do like Busch Gardens or Disney. Have photographers available in key spots – like in front of the Eiffel Tower and in front of Boo Blasters and The Beast – and allow guests to approach THEM instead. As it is now, you're bombarded at the front gate. And if you say yes, they snap your photo right where you are, with the back of the turnstiles as your backdrop! With a 300 foot Eiffel Tower and Royal Fountains ignored! Huh?!

I get that it's a "get them as quick as you can" kind of system but maybe photos (and food, attractions, shows, etc), should switch to a quality over quantity system. ;)

• Like 8