Flight commander question

Coaster Kid

Flight Commander i know was taken out long before I was even born. But I have some question about it. Why was it even taken out I know it was a accedient but what was the accident? Oh and can anyone anyone tell em where it was near cause i want to see the where the line was since im going on friday.

I don't feel experienced enough to answer exactly why it was taken out, I'll let Terpy answer that one. Although, I know the accident involved a lady who was intoxicated. It was located right about where the Eurobungys are now, the queue is still standing (although without the rails(

I don't feel experienced enough to answer exactly why it was taken out, I'll let Terpy answer that one. Although, I know the accident involved a lady who was intoxicated. It was located right about where the Eurobungys are now, the queue is still standing (although without the rails(

I know the rails are gone so I guess I will wait for Terpy to show up and look for the place.

June 9, 1991- Two men were killed after having been electrocuted in a pond at Kings Island amusement park in Kings Island, Ohio. They were trying to rescue another man who was in the pond whose hat had blown into the pond. He also suffered electrical shock. The electrocutions were later found out to be caused by a underwater circulation pump. Also later on the same day, a very drunk woman fell out of her seat Flight Commander. This day is known as Black Sunday.

--KI Central History Page

June 9, 1991- Two men were killed after having been electrocuted in a pond at Kings Island amusement park in Kings Island, Ohio. They were trying to rescue another man who was in the pond whose hat had blown into the pond. He also suffered electrical shock. The electrocutions were later found out to be caused by a underwater circulation pump. Also later on the same day, a very drunk woman fell out of her seat Flight Commander. This day is known as Black Sunday.

--KI Central History Page

Wow...18 years ago today. It's almost as if a lot of bad energy was released on one day to balance out the thousands of great days the park has enjoyed.

The ride had a design flaw that did not have seat separators in the pods. The woman passed out in a pod in which she was alone due to alcohol, slipped out, and fell to the pavement.

Like Terpy said, they included seat dividers, and ridership plummeted.

But I would like to add one thing, and mind you that I was young back then, but I remember Flight Commander having a pretty full queue all the time. Maybe I am mistaken, but the queue from memory was always full before the accident.

Flight Commander was thereafter modified and reopened. It never had much ridership to begin with (the ride was relatively boring). Thereafter, it had even less. After the end of the 1995 season, it was quietly removed.

I don't know, I thought it was pretty cool at the time. I did nothing but barrell rolls the entire ride cycle.

During the 96 season my dad and I seen a sign next to the old flight commaner site saying wait for something falling here next year, not 100% sure if that is right word by word but I do remember a small sign.

I've always heard that it said "Something new is dropping in here soon!".

Flight Commander was thereafter modified and reopened. It never had much ridership to begin with (the ride was relatively boring). Thereafter, it had even less. After the end of the 1995 season, it was quietly removed.

Before the accident, you could keep the pod upside down for most of the ride (fun). After the seat mods, the pods could only barrel roll and not stay upside down.

my dad was telling me how the restraints were held locked by compressed air, and one day while he was standing in line on riders harness wouldn't come down tight on him, so the ride operators rolled out an air compresser and hooked it up to the capsule the rider was riding in.

didn't they add covers over the top of the ride after the accident?

my dad was telling me how the restraints were held locked by compressed air, and one day while he was standing in line on riders harness wouldn't come down tight on him, so the ride operators rolled out an air compresser and hooked it up to the capsule the rider was riding in.

didn't they add covers over the top of the ride after the accident?

I recall KD's model,skypilot always having the canopies on the pods.The ride always had a line but obviously was removed in 95 & scrambler was put in it's place....I only rode it once back in 90 but after that first ride didn't go on it again.

Anyone else recall having to hold down the harness & lap bar before they were locked by the ops?It was hard to do with one hand on the harness & the other on the bar as they were spring loaded(or at least felt like it) & would try to come back up.

Originally, a Drop Zone more like Hellevator aka Superman: Tower of Power was reportedly slated for that site. It was not to be.

I remember in the 1996 games orientation we were informed that Drop Zone was now called "Extreme Sky Flyer" and were asked politely not to refer to it as Drop Zone any longer. Their only comment was "There are plans for a new ride that will utilize that name". But there was quite a buzz about the new Drop Tower being placed on the Flight Commander site around the park that year, and much of what was suggested is exactly what Terpy stated above.

~Josh

I was fortunate enough to ride Flight Commander before all of the restrictions happened. That was an awesome ride. I pretty much rolled it the entire time. I think my parents have video somewhere of me doing that. That's also the year I rode Vortex and King Cobra for the first time.

Originally, a Drop Zone more like Hellevator aka Superman: Tower of Power was reportedly slated for that site. It was not to be.

Well I'm sure glad that we got our Drop Zone because was Hellevator/ Superman: Tower of Power the one at Kentucky Kingdom?