Rubiks Cube

Colonel_SoB_fan

To promote the return of Flashback: Totally 80s which opens June 19th.

Interesting, I wonder if they would be interested in having a DeLorean present for the opening.

I was SO disappointed that they didn't integrate the DeLorean into the show last year.

I'd be a wee bit concerned about guest misconduct around the car, were it me.

Terpy, who has seen cars at the Disney Studio Park and Animal Kingdom mistreated by guests, and the same back by Juke Box Diner at Kings Island and before that at Geauga Lake in the 50's section. Some people just cannot behave...probably the same ones who grace the park with their "artwork."

Terpy, who has seen cars at the Disney Studio Park and Animal Kingdom mistreated by guests, and the same back by Juke Box Diner at Kings Island and before that at Geauga Lake in the 50's section. Some people just cannot behave...probably the same ones who grace the park with their "artwork."

Agreed. It's hard enough at carshows where you would think people know to be considerate.

If you're actually interested in learning how to solve the Rubik's Cube, I highly recommend the book Mastering Rubik's Cube by Don Taylor. My dad has a copy of it, and it's quite useful. Although it's long since out of print, there are a couple dozen used copies floating around amazon.com (and one which is supposedly in new condition, but the idiot selling that somehow thinks they can get $79.39 for it...).

Also the line jumpers.

If you're actually interested in learning how to solve the Rubik's Cube, I highly recommend the book Mastering Rubik's Cube by Don Taylor. My dad has a copy of it, and it's quite useful. Although it's long since out of print, there are a couple dozen used copies floating around amazon.com (and one which is supposedly in new condition, but the idiot selling that somehow thinks they can get $79.39 for it...).

Another tip would be to read the directions that come with your Rubik's cube. I used to work with a guy who just played with his cube all day long and could solve it in mere minutes, all learned, you guessed it, from the directions.

Also the line jumpers.

Another tip would be to read the directions that come with your Rubik's cube. I used to work with a guy who just played with his cube all day long and could solve it in mere minutes, all learned, you guessed it, from the directions.

Well, my teacher from a couple years ago learned to solve the Rubiks cube on Youtube. Now he can solve it within one and half minutes (Well, a couple years ago he could. He might've gotten slower, or faster, depending on how much he still plays with it). Now I'm gonna have to look up the world record.

Edit: The world record for solving a Rubik's cube was set by Erik Akkersdijk in 2008 with a time of 7.08 seconds (that is a single best time). The world record (this is for an average of three out of five, where your best three are taken) is 10.63 seconds by Tomasz Zolnowski.

Also the line jumpers.

Well, my teacher from a couple years ago learned to solve the Rubiks cube on Youtube. Now he can solve it within one and half minutes (Well, a couple years ago he could. He might've gotten slower, or faster, depending on how much he still plays with it). Now I'm gonna have to look up the world record.

Edit: The world record for solving a Rubik's cube was set by Erik Akkersdijk in 2008 with a time of 7.08 seconds (that is a single best time). The world record (this is for an average of three out of five, where your best three are taken) is 10.63 seconds by Tomasz Zolnowski.

He wasn't that good, but I was impressed that he could solve the thing in the first place.

I guess a giant Atari joystick wouldn't evoke as many 80s memories as the venerable Cube. -_-

It would for me. I spent more time playing my Atari than I did my Rubik's Cube. The only way I solved it was by taking it apart and re-assembling it. :lol:

My roommate my freshman year of college could solve a rubik's cube. I wanted to learn so badly but he told me I would be best at it if I figured it out for myself. So I worked at it and worked at it with the occasional hint from my roommate and sure enough after a few weeks I finally figured it out. I can solve it by several different methods. One method I use is to solve the corners, then the edges, then the middles, another is to in essence, start at one corner, make a 1x1x1 cube that is correct (ie correct orientation of the corner) then make what would be a 2x2x2 cube that is properly set up, then finally solve the rest of the 3x3x3. The last method is of course the layers method to solve one layer, then the middle layer, then the third layer; I believe this is what rubiks actually teaches.

In 2007 I competed in a rubiks cube competition. I didn't place very high as there were people from all over the country there, however I was in the top 30% with a best time of 42 seconds. Some where around here I have a bunch of rubik's cube. I have several that you can order from rubik's that are DIY cubes (do it yourself. Where you build it yourself. This allows you to adjust the tension on the springs to be how tight you personally want it. In addition you can get PVC stickers instead of the laminated paper stickers. The PVC stickers have a 250 million rub life where the standard printed stickers only have a 750 thousand rub life. You can also get rubiks silicone lubricant and much more.

http://www.rubiks.com/Shop.aspx

I later got into the 4x4x4 rubik's cube. (rubik's revenge) That was very difficult, and there are no books about how to solve this one. It requires quite a bit more thinking than an everyday 3x3x3. I eventually learned how to solve it as well but the shortest time it ever took me was about 8 minutes. However today if I was given a 4x4x4 I do not think I would be able to solve it very easily. The 3x3x3 however I can still do consistantly in under a minute.

When I was in disney I got one of the official disney rubiks cubes that has character faces on the colors as well. This adds quite a bit more difficulty because you can get the colors all correct but you may still have the face distorted, (ie center not correctly orientated)

Also the line jumpers.

I used this web site http://peter.stillhq.com/jasmine/JasmineLe...bikSolution.pdf and printed it out. I annoyed my wife the summer I solved it. I carried it into restuarants, had her drive while I solved it in the car. I practiced solving it while taking long walks and sitting in bed. I am now down to about 50-60secs and that's plenty fast for me. It took six weeks but I'm satisfied. I'm 35 and it was a life long dream. You can do it!

^ I need to let you borrow my Rubik's cube...

It's an Ohio State cube that's got different pictures on each side. I'm hopeless at solving them so it's still all messed up.

We'll have to meet up and I'll solve it for you! Did you get it at Foy's 5&10?

^ I need to let you borrow my Rubik's cube...

It's an Ohio State cube that's got different pictures on each side. I'm hopeless at solving them so it's still all messed up.

We'll have to meet up and I'll solve it for you! Did you get it at Foy's 5&10?

Don't forget, when you're working with a cube that actually has a picture/design on the sides in addition to the colors, you have to be conscientious the orientation of the center tiles. I know if I'm working with one 5 out of 6 are pretty easy to get but the 6th one can usually get pretty tricky.

You know what I love, is I also have a 2x2x2 cube; it's great because when people see it they always think, "oh well this is a cube I can solve," but they're always wrong. It's actually quite a bit more difficult than they think.