Gold Pass Holder Night, May 16

coasterrz

I checked PKI`s website today only to find that the 16, when the Gold Pass private party is from 5-10, is also a Math and Science day for area schools. This means that until 6, when math and science days end, all the major rides and attractions will be packed with students. Also, once the other rides open for pass holders, they too will be flooded with students until 6. What happened to Gold pass holder night being for 'only gold pass holder'? Especially, with the packed pass holder preview on April 11, one would have thought that they wouldn`t overlap times like that. Last year`s gold pass private party didn`t coincide with a math and science day. Oh well, just thought I`d let you all know the beginning of Friday night might be a little on the crowded side!

Hmm... more of PKI using "exclusive" and "only" a little too much.

Just to let you know, if the times do overlap, they might close down park of the park, like AZ, and start letting in the Gold Pass holders while the rest of the park is being closed so it can reopen to gold pass holders. I have no idea if this is what will happen, but that is what went on in the past when two events overlapped.

I dont think the night will be too crowded. However, getting to the park and parking will be hell because of all the school buses trying to leave. Overall, the night should be alright after 6:00.

my class is going to math and science day so i know that it ends at 6pm. however, i do not think they are going to close the park down and then reopen - too much hastle. maybe it was just a mixup and no one realized the two dates coinside until after everything was planned. oh well, what can we do now right? huh.gif

Well a majority of the schools have usually left by 6pm, but not always. Plus, its done at 6, so they will start pumping the math and science people out and you will have your "precious" pass holder night. Geez people, you act like KI owes all of you a night for you to run around the park all by yourself with no one else in the park. To me that just seems a little selfish. I know its cool and all but come on.

Well a majority of the schools have usually left by 6pm, but not always. Plus, its done at 6, so they will start pumping the math and science people out and you will have your "precious" pass holder night. Geez people, you act like KI owes all of you a night for you to run around the park all by yourself with no one else in the park. To me that just seems a little selfish. I know its cool and all but come on.

As a matter of fact, KI does owe gold pass holders a special night. We paid a premium for the gold passes last fall and one of the benefits that was advertised was exclusive gold pass holder nights. After the fiasco back in April they should add another exclusive night for gold pass holders in the fall.

I`m not bashing PKI. I just think that it was poor planning/wording on their part by saying gold pass holders will have the park all to them selves. I do think that the park will be deserted after 6, but the parking lot will be a zoo around then. I for one thinl they should add another gold pass private party in the fall. Maybe make it for a "dry run" of Fear Fest in late September, where gold pass holders get in free. That would also help promote Fear Fest for its fourth season. I`m planning on going on Friday, my first time to the park in three weeks! I look forward to having an excellent time!

I`m not bashing PKI. I just think that it was poor planning/wording on their part by saying gold pass holders will have the park all to them selves. I do think that the park will be deserted after 6, but the parking lot will be a zoo around then. I for one thinl they should add another gold pass private party in the fall. Maybe make it for a "dry run" of Fear Fest in late September, where gold pass holders get in free. That would also help promote Fear Fest for its fourth season. I`m planning on going on Friday, my first time to the park in three weeks! I look forward to having an excellent time!

thats a good idea bout fearfest. i think it was poorly planned also. since my class is going, i know a lot of schools are leaving way before 6pm for one reason or another. like i said before, there isnt much we can do about it now.. so just make the best of it. have fun on friday!! smile.gifsmile.gif

Belive me, RiotGrl, it's not a hassle to close and reopen the park. We have done it before and it's a way to keep the two events seperate.

As of Gold Pass... it's bull that you paided a premium last fall, it's the same price then as it is now till the 18th - and the Gold pass upgrade was FREE!

I am sick and tired of Gold Pass holders thinking that they own the park. That's bull. The park owes you nothing. There are perks in the gold pass to get people to buy it, it's a big marketing scheme that seems to work pretty darned well. It gets people into the park and it makes them spend money in the park. Geezs.

It's A PRIVLAGE TO HAVE A GOLD PASS. ALL THE PERKS ARE PRIVLAGES THAT CAN BE TAKEN AWAY, RESCHEDULED, REMOVED, REPLACED OR WHATEVER. Read the fine print on all of the paper work.

Well let's see, in their own words:

GOLD PASS VIP NIGHT!

The park is open on Friday, May 16th from 5:00 pm – 10:00 pm exclusively for Paramount's Kings Island Gold Season Passholders! Must present valid 2003 Gold Season Pass photo ID.

Note the use of the word 'exclusively'! If the park wants to schedule other events on the same date then go ahead, but they should word their advertising and promotions correctly. So to those who think there has been no act of slight here, yes I do expect the evening to be only for GP'ers as that is what they advertised. There should be a mass forced exodus of those participating in the school related event after their time has elapsed. Yes, April 11th was a disaster and there should be a makeup date, but that won't happen.

Does anyone here honestly expect the math and science kiddies to stay past 6 on a school night? On the April 11th issue... I may be wrong, but I believed that night was titled "Sneak Preview Night," indicating that gold pass holders weren't the only ones who would be participating. Besides, they were giving out tickets weeks before for April 11 on the radio almost every hour up here in Dayton and I'm sure it was pretty darn close in the surrounding Cincy suburbs.

Edited by AZ Kinda Guy

Okay listen.....I have been to 2 of these Math and Science days and on both days, over 75% of the kids were gone before 5:30 or 6:00. They will leave at 6:00 at the lastest because they came on school busses which are scheduled to be back at a SPECIFIC time!!! Therefor, they have no option but to leave. YOU PEOPLE GRIPE WAY TOO MUCH!!! As I said after "Sneak Preview Night," I hope PKI decides not to do any of these things such as VIP night and Preview Night next year so we employees don't have to listen to you guys complain. But hey, that is just me and I am only one person.

Edited by PKI_Rulz

Boo hoo. I have to deal with kids being in line for a hour. That only leaves me with 4 more hours of rides! Im sooooo disappointed in PKI because they overlap times by an hour!

Geeze, you sound like a whiny spoiled 2 year old! You get exclusive parking, ERT, and several other benefits! Be happy PKI even gives you the CHANCE to get this offer!

Yeah come on people lets be rational here. You act like you are better than everyone else that doesnt have a goldpass. To me that does sound selfish that your whining about your little night. Like SOB TOM said, you get your benifits. You get your walk on Wednesdays, double ride tuesdays, Early Ride Openings, and these breakfast/dinner things. You act like you should be treated like kings! Do me a favor, cry me a river, build a bridge, AND GET OVER IT!!!

Hmm... one more thought... There are thousands of Gold Passes out in the public right now. Even a night for just Gold Pass holders can be very, very busy with long lines. Now, like I said before, they might close part of the park down, or they will just keep it all open and the kids leave at 6.

Edit: No need to shout.

Edited by AZ Kinda Guy

You are totally right dragon. Its no big deal, the park on a friday night during this time is going to be busy regardless. So it doesnt matter about how long the lines are, they are going to be long anyways. Chill. ph34r.gif

Edit: Lets try incorporating capitalization into our post next time. biggrin.gif

Edited by AZ Kinda Guy

I don't want to jump on anyone here, as I truly see everyone's point. But I do have to add one thing:

PKI doesn't give us Gold Pass perks to be nice. They add them for one reason, and one reason only: to sell passes. There are three major parks within a 4-5 hour drive of PKI. Some members of the public could just as easly spend their money to get their passes. For some, the Gold Pass upgrade was free, for some it wasn't.

I think some of the passholders expect more, simply because they've invested more by getting a season pass. I know, I know...it pays for itself in just 2 visits.... but while some will use their pass dozens of times, others won't use their pass more than once.

PKI even uses the "I'm better than you!" attitude in their latest marketing campaigns. "Be card-carrying big-shot," and "Put everyone else where they belong; behind YOU!" Gee, I wonder why some passholders cherish their extras, and feel superior?!

That said, PKI has made mistakes over the past month with the use of the word "exclusive." Whether we were living in a cave in April or not, the park sold an EXCLUSIVE SP holder sneak preview.....whether SP holders got it or not. Although I was dismayed on the 11th, I came back on the 12th.....and had a great time.

I really don't expect some kind of make-up day. Again fair is fair, and we weren't SOLD that perk. I also don't want to come off as whiny. So I personally just take what I get. I've enjoyed the park both busy and slow. In 1994, I enjoyed an ACE event with just 600 people in the park. Last year, I kinda enjoyed a visit when the park neared capacity. But when the park uses the word EXCLUSIVE in regards to park access; to sell passes....I can truly see how some would be upset when the park doesn't deliver. Some of the employees and others defending the park (And don't get me wrong, 95% of the time I'm defending the park with serious fervor.) should realize that it wasn't just fans of this site complaining about the 11th (April) People were leaving that night with a bad taste in their mouths. They were leaving mad by the hundreds....

As for defending the park....Gold Pass nights weren't one of the reasons I ever invested in a pass. There are many, many other perks that I cherish. That said, I'm a season pass holder for every major park chain, and can just as easily spend my time and money at another park. I usually don't, though; as PKI offers an experience that other parks can't begin to touch. There is a well-roundedness to PKI that makes me proud to call it my home park. (It is my home park, by the way, only because I moved to this area JUST to be near PKI, so I really do love the place.)

I can see, however, how some folks feel they have the right to complain about the early part of the new season.

James "playing devil's advocate" Moreland

Edited by AZ Kinda Guy

PKI even uses the "I'm better than you!" attitude in their latest marketing campaigns. "Be card-carrying big-shot," and "Put everyone else where they belong; behind YOU!" Gee, I wonder why some passholders cherish their extras, and feel superior?!

I don't see where you get that. EVERYONE has the chance to purchase the Gold Season pass from around post-season until May 18th. If people don't get it by then, it's their own fault. Now if they only optioned to, lets say, give the gold pass to previous gold pass holders, I could see where you get the "I'm better than you" impression.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't the Gold Pass the only type of pass they give out until May 18th?

It is going to be busy regardless of the school kids being there (for an hour!) And if they do what DL said and close part of the park until all the kids leave, What is the problem? You won't be by them, They will be in the process of leaving when you all get there, and...... as for someone saying that PKI lied about say that it was only for GP holders and saying that they "messed up" on over-lapping the two events. I doubt that they didn't know that the two events were on the same day... they simply thought that it won't be a big problem, Which it isn't!

"If I'm not mistaken, isn't the Gold Pass the only type of pass they give out until May 18th?"- AZ Kinda Guy

-I believe it is the only pass they give out......My friend got a pass long ago, like November maybe...., and he has a Goldpass!

Edited by matt3224

PKI even uses the "I'm better than you!" attitude in their latest marketing campaigns.  "Be  card-carrying big-shot," and "Put everyone else where they belong; behind YOU!"  Gee, I wonder why some passholders cherish their extras, and feel superior?!

I don't see where you get that. EVERYONE has the chance to purchase the Gold Season pass from around post-season until May 18th. If people don't get it by then, it's their own fault. Now if they only optioned to, lets say, give the gold pass to previous gold pass holders, I could see where you get the "I'm better than you" impression.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't the Gold Pass the only type of pass they give out until May 18th?

I "get that" because that is EXACTLY the jist of PKI's 2003 gold pass marketing campaign. I was pretty clear that the idea would inevitably trickle down into the mindset of many passholders.

"EVERYONE" could get a pass before Sunday, but obviously not everyone will. Therein lies the "superiority" that said campaign is playing on.

I've been pretty clear on where I stand, even saying that these "Exclusive" nights were never a selling point for me personally.

Jeff Siebert told a group of us last Spring that PKI sells more season passes than any other single park. The park managment understands (even is some of the seasonal employees don't) that these "extras" are a big reason that the passes move as quickly as they do.

Again, I'm not trashing PKI! I'm simply disagreeing with some of the positions taken here that some of the perks are simply gifts.

Jim Moreland

...who won't even be attending 5/16...

OK.

NO.1: PKI is not 100% honest about what they say they will do, PERIOD. the facts are there, no questions further.

NO.2: these people complaining have every right in the world to complain and you people who are telling us that we had better be happy with our pass, you are no better than the ones complaining, in fact, you are doing exactly the same thing they are.

NO.3:PKI's advertisments are tricky, unreliable, and do not refelct what will really happen, they are ALL sugar coated to make them look good. They rarely ever deliver TO FULL EXTENT.

NO.4:Gold pass holders expect a lot from the park as returning/frequent patrons. The gold pass system is not doing the things it says it does, and if they do, then it is mostly misleading

NO.5: calling those who question the park and its values do not deserve to be called 2 year olds. NO ONE DOES. They know that the park can do better and they are holding them to that regard, siding with the park just because "what they say, goes" is taking the easiy way out because you do not want to disagree or you are employed with them. Not necessarily a honorable path to take.

NO.6: Critism that these who disagree give to the park is out of love for the park. Giving critism is a way of showing that you care, just going with the flow shows your true postition on things at PKI: you could care less.

NO.7:The constant throat slashing, burning, rampages, and anger out burst have to stop on this forum. They are getting out of control. There is no respect for anyone or their opinion and that is why we are having a topic closed down practically every day, people flame and start wars over their opinion because they think they are right and that everyone else should agree. I myslef am guilty of this as you all know, but it needs to stop now. Otherwise, it will be the death of the site. I know none of you want that to happen.

Edited by Inraider

The employees VS gold pass holders who will win? laugh.gif

The Pass holders will win every time. Those perks are there as a selling point. They do not offer them out of the kindness of there hearts they do it so people will buy a pass early thus making more money early on.

If the customers aren't happy (from what I heard about april 11th alot were not) Then the park suffers. If they gave same old crap every year no one would buy it. Before gold pass it was a coupon book ect ect. PKI isn't alone in the perks catagory

My sixflags pass came with a great looking calander and a crapload of coupons a bring a friend free one also.

Cedar Points joe cool club gives you early ride time as well.

If PKI gave up there gold pass benifts then they would loose money. If they do not keep the locals comming back they will loose cash. Theres Really not a whole lot to do during a summer around here. See a reds game a concert or 2 the beach maybe a movie or 400.

The locals do keep the park going and if you treat them bad then they don't come back. April 11th was a very unlike PKI day and many people base the season on the 1st visits of the year.

Dragonlord Your post saying the park owes you nothing is wrong. The park owes the Guests everything cause without them there is no PKI. The park should feel as if its your own personal playground.

According to a manager who will remain nameless

PKI lives and dies on how its reviewed and how people see the park.(this was last year when i got *****ed at for somthing i didnt do) The park only does it when they HAVE to not to screw with the guests.

Customers can whine if there not happy about somthing. How else is the park going to know. Goto Mejiers they do have the I am better than you attitude on there signs.

not withstanding I enjoyed april 11th and had a great time I just thought I would make some points. Now back to my random and funny self.

Does anyone here honestly expect the math and science kiddies to stay past 6 on a school night? On the April 11th issue... I may be wrong, but I believed that night was titled "Sneak Preview Night," indicating that gold pass holders weren't the only ones who would be participating. Besides, they were giving out tickets weeks before for April 11 on the radio almost every hour up here in Dayton and I'm sure it was pretty darn close in the surrounding Cincy suburbs.

Actually on April 11th PKi also stated the exclusiveness of the event, for season pass holders only.

In addition to that, here is the response I got from PKI reference their April 11th screw up, and how badly all of us season passholders got worked over. Read if you like.l

Just got this reply from PKI about Friday night. Thought oyu all would like to see it, when I questioned the exclusiveness of the evening. here ya go !!!! I'm willing to stick it out, and hopefully things will be better next time.

Dear Mr. (changed to protect me):

Thank you for writing us here at Paramount's Kings Island. We always

appreciate hearing from our guests.

I would like to apologize that your visit with us on Sneak Preview Night was

less than expected. It was an error on our part in listing the evening as

season pass exclusive. We sincerely apologize for the miscommunication, it

certainly was not our intent to mislead our valuable season passholders.

Normally combining the sneak preview event with season pass sneak preview

would not have been an issue, however, the extraordinarily good weather we

experienced Friday evening caused a large number of individuals that

normally would not have made the trip to the park to decide to take

advantage of the evening. Please rest assured that we have discussed the

events of Friday night to ensure that this situation does not occur in the

future.

Again I apologize for your experience. Thank you for your comments and we

hope that your next visit to Paramount's Kings Island is fun filled and

exciting.

Sincerely,

Taryn Weber

Operations Manager, Guest Relations

Paramount's Kings Island

taryn.weber@paramountparks.com

Edited by fyrfyter

Inraider: Agreeing with the park has nothing to do with working there.... at least not with me. And to say that we could care less is wrong! I do care about the guests and the park greatly, and I think we are getting off topic and are starting to blame people and get mad at those with different opinions. The fact is... PKI is not lying about this one. GP holders have the park to themselves tomorrow night.... Whether or not some kids from Math and Science Day will be there and in the process of leaving when you guys are getting there, you guys will still have the park for a hugh amount of time. The only reason that some people are getting mad on this is cause you guys are complaining about the kids there for a little while when you are just getting there. I say most will leave before 5:30, the rest will be leaving at 6:00 giving you guys 4 hours to ride the rides you want to.

hey, did you guys get this email from PKI tonight? I just got it, and it goes just like this................

Gold Season Passholder,

Just a friendly reminder from your friends at Paramount's Kings Island that tomorrow night, Friday, May 16th is Gold Pass VIP Night! From 5 - 10 pm, the only way you can enter the park is with a 2003 Gold Pass! If you are planning on taking advantage of this special Gold Pass perk, here are a few this you might want to plan for:

Students Exiting the Park — As you make your way into the park on Friday night, you may notice large school groups exiting out the main Front Gate entrance. These students are part of a private "Math & Science Day" event for area schools from 10 pm — 6 pm. Most students, however, will have exited the park by 4 pm to return to school.

Season Pass Entrance — For easier access into the park, please follow the signs to the Gold Season Pass Entrance located just to the left of the Front Gate (near the Season Pass Sales building).

Hanna-Barbera LandTM and Nickelodeon CentralTM — Please note that certain attractions in Hanna-Barbera LandTM and Nickelodeon CentralTM will open at 6 pm. Additional rides and attractions in these areas will continue to open throughout the evening.

The weather looks great, the park looks great and having you here with us on Gold Pass VIP Night would be great!

See you at the park!