Change of Heart TR... 6/9/09

IBEW_Sparky

OK Ladies and gentlemen, let me preface this with a few statements. First off, I posted my initial TR on the 29th of May to express and bring to the forefront something I felt (and still feel) has become a truly serious concern within the park. I was happy to see that there are a number of you that "get it" and werent afraid to admit and understand that its OK to admit when there is something not perfect about your park. I am a fan of a lot of people/things... for instance I am a HUGE Tony Stewart fan (hence my profile pic and Myspace screenname)... but when he does something wrong on track I am the FIRST to be standing up in the living room or the stands at the track yelling "YOU DUMBA$$ Smoke, what was that crap?!?!?" I know that people and places/organizations are not, and never will be perfect no matter how much I like them and want to think they are. Now, with that, I am also not foolish/arrogant enough to think I am anywhere close to perfect... and have no problem sucking it up and admitting Ive had a change of Heart on a subject. With that, the following TR will commence.

I was sitting at home Tues morning listening to Itunes when one of my late 80s songs I have saved started playing... D amn Yankees "Run Away"... and I thought to myself "thats just what I need to do right now to get my mind clear". After a quick thought of going to the Point, I decided since it was already 11am I would be better off to give ki another chance (simple manner of 5 hour drive vs 2). I quickly got things together, and headed off on the drive to Mason. I arrived around 140pm, and walked to the entrance with a very hopeful frame of mind. My usual first ride is FoF... but there was a reason that I went to DB this time. As I walked to the queue, I was quite happy to see a member of MPD standing next to the test seat. I got two back to back rides in about 30 minutes, and DB is a very solid #3 on my Coaster list. I went from there to Beast (passing dare-to-fy on the way, right by the entrance to WWC) and was happy to see a Family with a young first time rider. Its always pretty cool to me to see the anticipation/excitement in those cases. After my one ride on Beast, I decided to head over towards Coney Mall/X-Base. I stopped off at BLSC and caught a front seat ride on it, and I still Love that ride no matter what the haters say. That initial helix is great, high-G turns are my favorite element on coasters and that one fits the bill splendidly. I decided I wanted a non-coaster ride next, so I went to Scrambler... one of my all time favorite flats. Speaking of favorite flats... I know what needs to go in the place ofthe laser-tag dome.... TILT-A-WHIRL BABY!!! Like I said, I absolutely Love high-G spins and turns. OK, back on track, after Scrambler I took the jaunt over to Flight Deck and had to chuckle when I saw the trash can in front of SOB's queue. Are we sure Vekoma didnt manufacture that ride? :lol: I took a nice, quick ride in the back of FD, and realized that 1-1 truly is a better experience on that ride. I like FD as a ride in general, but 1-1 is the best. At this point, I decided to go to Festhas and get a wristband and some LaRosas and hang out for the 4pm showing of Down Home Country. I ate, and rolled out at 410pm... didnt care for DHC at all. I headed back to Rivertown for two more laps on DB (20 min wait in normal line and a VERY lucky 5 minute wait in the SRL) then took a ride on the MVRR. Next was a trip back to X-Base to ride FoF. I Love that ride, and I have GOT to go ride Jokers Jinx becasue I just want to see how intense that final corkscrew feels without the MCBR. After a quick stop in the room of rest by Vortex (that NEEDS to be X-Bases next installation!!) I took advantage of the 1 train wait and got a ride in 5-2 (or as some would look at it 5-3). After this, the FoF bug kept biting, plus it was a little on the warm side with the hazy sun... so I headed back to the air-conditioned goodness that is FoFs queue. After another great ride, I went back to DB to lap it up until nightfall. To my suprise, what I thought would happen after 6pm was not the case. I was figuring it would clear out... but actually it seemed to get busier. What was a 15 to 20 min wait all day had now become about 25-35. it was all good, as I took one more ride, than sat down for a little while to simply people-watch. I would like to say that, while watching, I noticed 2 Security Officers taking an active presence at DBs queue and exit ramp. I took two more rides in a row on DB, my final one at 910pm, and then decided to head back home.

In closing, I would like to point out that I am genuinely happy to see that the Front Office has taken steps in making the park going experience a better one for the paying customers. I am not saying that my voicing of my concerns made an inkling of difference in the increased Official presence around DB... but I was really happy to see it. Thank you to those decision makers who read these Forums and stepped up.... you got me back.

I am glad you had a change of heart sooner than later...like you said, life IS too short.

I am not saying that my voicing of my concerns made an inkling of difference in the increased Official presence around DB... but I was really happy to see it. Thank you to those decision makers who read these Forums and stepped up.... you got me back.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if your original Trip Report wasn't noticed by the park management and DID make a difference...I think it generated a lot of good opinions. :)

Sparky - I am glad you had a good experience at Kings Island and while I'm at it you know your one of us too don't you? I mean we really can not stay away.

As has been said in other ways; "you can take the fanboy out of Kings Island, but you can not take Kings Island out of the fanboy".

Welcome Home!!!

Sparky - I'm glad that you decided to return to KI and have respect for you that you posted the original thread and this one.

The thing that struck me in your post is the BLSC comment. As I think about my trips to the park, I often skip BLSC when I do the round trip - yet I can't say as I've made a decision that I don't like it (in fact I do think I've enjoyed it the couple of times I have ridden it). Could it be subconcious bitterness that some old favorites that used to sit in its place are no longer there or listening to the haters? Either way, I'll have to make an effort next trip to try it again.

YeeHaa, I have been a fan of Tony Steward since I met him while working security at cincinnati gardens. We had a route made for his entrance, I was watching the elevators then I got a call to run over to the other side to open some doors so here I am sprinting to make it in time, as soon as I made it to the door and opened it their they are. With a big smile on his face he shakes my hand and says wow your fast and me being a joker I said well I would of been a little faster but my back end got a little loose and I ran into the wall!