What do you miss most about Paramount

MrTools

I still call the rides by their old names and I miss the trendy Paramount Logo the had going on. I saw on White Water Canyon's rafts the other day the faded Paramount logo and made me tear up. I also miss the old pki.com website.

Another reason I don't miss Paramount is because of the wonderful live entertainment Cedar Fair has brought back that was so popular during the heyday Taft years. I took a peak at the country music show today in Festhaus-while I am not a huge country fan, the show was first class all the way with outstanding singing and dancing. It sure beats junk like School of Rock that we were forced to swallow during the Paramount years. ( No offense to those who enjoyed School of Rock-just my opinion.)

Other than SoB, what records or firsts did KI have during the Paramount years?

world's first lim launch roller coaster (outer limits: Flight of Fear/ Flight of Fear)

world's first hyper-woody (Son of Beast)

world's first giant top spin (tomb raider: the ride/ the crypt)

world's first giant frisbee (Delirium)

world's tallest gyro-drop (drop zone/ Drop Tower)

not a whole lot, but still it kinda is. :rolleyes:

I suspect you are wrong on nearly every count in that post. Here are several reasons:

* In the near term, due to crushing debt loads, coaster size, speed, etc. records are far from even a somewhat concern at Cedar Fair. Reliability and safety and popularity and cost all matter and matter a lot. Records, not so much, if at all.

* Cedar Fair is a business, in business to make and maximize profits. If it makes financial sense to put more and better in Kings Island than Cedar Point, so shall it be, if they do things right. They are trying. What has Cedar Fair put at Kings Island since the acquisition? What has it done at Cedar Point?

* The day will come when the head of Cedar Fair does not live in the parking lot at Cedar Point. Nothing is sacred when the company's very existence is at stake. One of the namesake parks is currently for sale. One of the very first parks the company bought as it began expansion, and yet another is also for sale.

You put far too much importance on coaster records. You will, as you go on, be disappointed if you truly believe that Cedar Fair has a primary goal saving the best for Cedar Point. It does not.

Time will certainly tell, yet in the two years since CF's acquisition of Kings Island, their actions have borne out my contentions.

Clearly, the addition of Diamondback is strong evidence that they are not planning to do to KI what they did to GL, which is good. They have also improved maintenance at KI, which was desperately needed. They still have more improvements to make, but I see huge steps in the last two years.

They obviously see (correctly) the ability of the two parks to coexist. I still say that for the foreseeable future, CP will be their flagship park, and will get more attention than KI. And if you look back to before the Paramount years, you can see how these two parks in direct competition can be great for the parks and their guests.

I miss the movie tie in aspect of the park. I used to enjoy walking through the Paramount Story, seeing the movie posters, and above all riding the movie themed rides. Top Gun (Flight Deck) used to be one of my favorite coasters primarily because it was themed to the movie. I miss hearing the music while walking through TG q-line.

It is reliably reported that this year Worlds of Fun is playing large segments of the former Paramount Parks gate music track. The themes from Top Gun and Indiana Jones are included. Why is this okay at Worlds of Fun (which is supposedly for sale), but not at the former Paramount Parks? Do Kansas/Missouri visitors have that different a demographic that movie music is perfectly appropriate whereas for Indiana/Kentucky/Ohio residents it is not? Or did Cedar Fair take away the movie/orchestral music at Kings Island only because it could?

I have to say the music they're playing in the park is bad. I mean, bad as in I wouldn't even want to hear it while at the grocery store (and it is VERY similar to what my local Kroger plays). I could see something kind of lively from the 60's-90's, but I don't get this current soundtrack at all. I'm sure that there's fans of the music they're playing, but I don't get how it's supposed to be something that amusement park guests would want to hear at all.

I never really considered myself an orchestra/classical/movie theme fan, but I really miss hearing it at Kings Island.

It is reliably reported that this year Worlds of Fun is playing large segments of the former Paramount Parks gate music track. The themes from Top Gun and Indiana Jones are included. Why is this okay at Worlds of Fun (which is supposedly for sale), but not at the former Paramount Parks? Do Kansas/Missouri visitors have that different a demographic that movie music is perfectly appropriate whereas for Indiana/Kentucky/Ohio residents it is not? Or did Cedar Fair take away the movie/orchestral music at Kings Island only because it could?

Yes, they do, and they have for a few years, I think.