First time going....need some advice.

sblahars

Hello,

Just found this forum and decided to ask some questions. It's funny actually, I'm an avid Disney World vactioner, and read message boards about there all the time, and lots of times people go on that board and ask what they should do on their first visit...and now here I am, doing the exact same thing for Kings Island.

I'm a annual Cedar Point goer, but this year, we decided to try something different this year. We (my brother and I, wife doesn't like going to Cedar Point that much) are big roller coaster riders, so that's mainly the purpose of our visit.

So I guess my questions are, how early should we get there? We are going to go on a sunday in October.

What order should we do each ride in?

What is good, other than the roller coasters?

What is the food like in the park?

What other things should I know?

Thanks

i say get to the park as soon as it opens for that sunday.

i've found the best way to ride the rides, are pick one and from that ride make a clockwise circle around the park, or a counter clockwise circle.

i only go for the roller coasters, so i'm not much help in that area.

the food is expensive, but you have a good choice (lots of different restuants.

in october, you will most likely be there for Halloween Haunt, and if so, you should really try some of the mazes, and don't forget to get a night ride in on The Beast, you won't regret it.

Haunt activity is only on Friday and Saturday night, so on a Sunday there will be nothing except the kiddie part (I forget the new name) in the picnic grove.

If you choose Saturday, be aware that come dusk the park will go from confortably not crowded to absolutly mobbed, every coaster and maze will have 2-3 hour wait. If you want to do the Haunt, come Friday to do the mazes and get your night rides in and then mop up the attractions you didnt ride during the day on Saturday.

Odds are the park will be so dead if you go on a Sunday so you wont need a plan but Ive found that the best way to do a park with normal crowds, factoring in that Diamondback and The Beast are open for Gold/Platnium ERT (and thus will have a line) is this:

1. Firehawk

2. Flight of Fear

3. Drop Tower

4. Invertigo

5. Son of Beast

6. Flight Deck (not because it has a long wait but because its a long walk and right by SOB)

7. Delirium

8. Eat Lunch

9. Scooby Doo and the Haunted Mansion (dont worry if the line looks long, its a people mover a full queue is only 30 min)

10. Avatar

11. Diamondback

12. Beast

13. Backlot Stunt Coaster

14. Vortex

15. Racer

16. Adventure Express

Walk back to The Beast in the morning (the back of the park is pretty much empty at that point as most people will be going to DB or Firehawk). Then turn right and do Back Lot Stunt Coaster and Vortex. Then head back toward the front of the park and hit Flight of Fear, Firehawk, The Racer, Adventure Express. Then get a free ice water at Outer Hanks. Then hit Action Zone and ride everything there in whatever order you want. By that time, the initial rush to DB will be pretty much cleared out and you will be able to ride it with a shorter wait.

How early should we get there? We are going to go on a Sunday in October.

- Get there for the early Diamondback ERT. Their is usually no wait during the ERT and you can ride it more if you want.

What order should we do each ride in?

-Start from Diamondback and do a big loop around to The Beast, then Vortex, then fof, and so on.

What is good, other than the roller coasters?

-Delirium and Drop Tower are good flats. Don't forget those.

What is the food like in the park?

-Expensive! I recommend packing a lunch if possible, and bring a cooler. Then leave the park around lunch time(get your hand stamped) go to your car, have a picnic, then go back into the park. This should be a lot easier.

What other things should I know?

-The Diamondback ERT starts at 9:30 on Sunday and goes till 10:00

-The Beast is also included in that ERT.

-Have FUN!

I love Disney World!!! :)

and the lines shouldn't be near as long as Cedar Points so that's a plus.

i'd get there a little before they open.

The Steel Coasters

Diamondback- the new one.

Description:It's tallest, fastest and meanest roller coaster to ever strike Kings Island. Diamondback stands 230 feet at its highest point with a first drop of 215 feet at a 74 degree angle and snakes its way around 5,282 feet of track in excess of 80 miles per hour! The ride features 10 vertical drops overall including drops of 193, 131, 129, 110 and 106 feet, two helixes – one at 323 degrees and the other at 287 degrees – and a spectacular splashdown ending.

Firehawk- second new one haha it's like flying

description:

Thrill flyers experience heart-pounding excitement as Firehawk soars through more than ½ a mile of steel tracking. Willing adventure seekers lie down to experience this 51 mph., top-secret, all-altitude airborne mission. But they’re certainly not relaxing – within seconds, each pilot is facing the ground, experiencing the inconceivable feeling of human flight.

Flight of Fear- inside dark coaster and a personal favorite

Description:Face your darkest fears as you are catapulted from 0-54 mph in just 4 seconds through 4 inversions on the world's first linear induction launch coaster! Named the best new ride by industry experts during it's opening season, don't miss your chance to feel the pulse-pounding excitement this year!

The Vortex- just amazing

Description:Once The Vortex gets you in his grip, you’re his forever. The first lift hill will lift you twelve stories into the sky. And that’s just the beginning. You’ll be rocketed along 3,800 feet of track at speeds exceeding 55 mph through two vertical loops, one corkscrew, one boomerang turn, and a 360-degree helix. All in all, Vortex will turn you head-over-heels upside-down a grand total of six times. So feel the grip of Vortex. And then, just try to break free.

top gun- it gives you a weird feeling but it is still awesome. now called "Flight Deck"

Description:Take flight and soar over the tree tops. This seventh generation steel suspended coaster wings over 2,352 feet of track at speeds in excess of 51 mph!

Backlot Stunt Coaster- short but fun

Description:On the Backlot Stunt Coaster, riders experience what it is like to be a stunt car driver as their car races out onto the track. Each car is tricked out with audio special effects that add to the multi-sensory sensation of the experience, and as the stunt cars peel out, riders are transported into the stunt chase sequence. Drivers twist through a parking garage, dodge near collisions, race down stairs, chase through tunnels and narrowly escape massive explosions triggered by gunfire from a helicopter.

Invertigo- breaks down a lot and least favorite of the park

Description:Sit back and witness the terror flash in the eyes of your fellow riders as you experience the only face-to-face inverted roller coaster in the Midwest! Scream your face off as you are lifted up a 138 foot hill and then released to soar through a 72 foot tall loop and two inversions at speeds of over 55 mph!

Adventure Express

Description:Take a fantastic adventure on a runaway mine train. This coaster is perfect for those looking for a break from our more intense coasters

The Wooden Coasters

The Beast- amazing and very long but take some tylonel before or after this ride cause its guaranteed to give you a headache

Description: Come feel the excitement as The Beast – arguably the greatest wooden roller coaster ever built – unleashes its awesome power on the unsuspecting. This coaster sprawls across a densely-wooded, 35 acre site. It is topographical, so the rugged, natural terrain adds to the excitement. The Beast is the longest wooden coaster in the world at 7,400 feet (1-3/4 miles); travels at speeds approaching 70 mph and has a ride length of nearly four minutes. It features two incredible vertical drops (135 and 141 feet) and has three dark tunnels, plus a spectacular 540 degree helix turn at the end.

Son of Beast

Description:If the father scared you, wait until you ride the son! The Tallest, fastest wooden coaster on the planet will send you screaming down it's 214-foot hill at speeds over 78 mph. You've never experienced anything like this before. Not anywhere. Not ever.

The Racer

Description:

The twin-tracked Racer is a traditional wooden out-and-back coaster and credited for re-igniting the coaster building boom in the early 1970’s, thus beginning the second golden age of the roller coaster. To honor The Racer’s staying power, the American Coaster Enthusiasts named this popular ride an “ACE Roller Coaster Landmark” during a ceremony at the park last year, making it one of only 14 coasters in the world with landmark status. In addition, The Racer is also notable for its appearance in the Cincinnati Kids episode of The Brady Bunch, filmed at the park in 1973.

my two favorite flat rides are the Drop Tower and Delirium.

I got all of the descriptions from the Kings Island Website. www.visitkingsisland.com

I would start off with the big ones first. like Firehawk because it has one of the longest lines throughout the day along with Flight of Fear. top gun usually always has a short wait. Diamondback I would hop on early when they first open or when they're bout to close, but i've been there and rode it throughout the whole day and at its busiest the wait was only 45 minutes! We usually never have a schedule as to which ride to get on next we just hop on. I have never waited over 2 hours for any ride. Firehawk was the longest i have ever waited in line for a ride. Delirium doesn't open right away so just catch it when it does open. We always catch The Beast at night. and the Son of Beast gets a long line quickly also so catch it early if possible. Drop Zone's *Drop Tower now* line moves pretty well considering it loads in bulk. Don't even waste your time with The Crypt. The line will get long and the ride has changed and there is slim to no effects in it and they changed the program so it is way tame. Trust me.

As for food; we always eat in the Festhaus building. I believe it is number 6 on the online map. Its located right behind Delirium. It has a little bit of everything. from cheeseburgers and french fries. to pizza, chicken fingers, mac and cheese, and salads to chinese food. The cheeseburgers are a personal favorite of mine. French fries are just the normal french fries haha the chicken tenders are pretty good also. I love larosas pizza. which is what they have. It can sometimes be extremely greasy so if you don't like grease you may not want the pizza. haha

Some other tips:

-If you are extremely thirsty and don't feel like paying 3 dollars for a bottle of water or a 4 dollar pop; you can walk up to almost any food place outside and they will give you free ice water in a cup. we take like a ice mountain bottle of water and after we drink that we just fill them up with the free ice water haha :P

-If you like pretzels with salt. theirs are covered with tons of salt, which i believe is to make you even more thirsty and buy more 3 dollar drinks haha :P so i usually just get one with no salt.

-do NOT wear flip flops. your feet will be killing you.

-order your tickets online to get a discount if your work doesn't already offer discounted tickets. you might want to check.

-if you have a season or platinum pass you get certain discounts on ride photos and such.

-if there are line jumpers; simply report them but DONT let them ruin your day! :)

- you can go here and kind of take a look and sketch out your day if you'd like. I'd download the higher resolution map because it is way bigger haha http://www.pki.com/visit/visit_park_map.cfm

I hope I answered all of your questions. If you have any others please feel free to ask me anytime. I love helping people and informing them about Kings Island! Kings Island and Disney World are my two favorites!

Thanks for reading! Hope you have a great trip! :)

...factoring in that Diamondback and The Beast are open for Gold/Platnium ERT (and thus will have a line)

What does Gold/Platinum ERT mean?

ERT is Exclusive Ride Times.It means that people with a Gold or Platinum season pass get to ride certain rides before the park officialy opens for the day.It starts at 9am on Saturdays and at 9:30 all other days.

I believe the park closes at 6pm on Sundays in October, so you'd want to get there at open. Personally, I would really try to go on the Saturday, so you can get a night ride on The Beast. There is nothing quite like The Beast at night.

For rides I would go straight to Firehawk and Flight of Fear at open. Firehawks line moves extremely slow, so you want to get there before there is much of a line. FoF is next to Firehawk and it can get a pretty long line, so might as well knock it out while you are there.

In order to participate in the gold/Platinum pass passholder ERT, you must have either a gold Kings Island or platinum Cedar Fair pass. It is too late to buy a gold Kings Island pass, they are no longer for sale. Platinum Passes are still for sale, but...

By October, they may be selling next year's Platinum Passes (assuming there are Platinum Passes next year, and there probably will be). You might be able to buy one for the following year, 2010, and get in once with it. Details will be announced later this year, but almost certainly by October. People who buy one day tickets cannot ordinarily get in the hour early (on Saturday) or half hour early (other days) for ERT.