Flying Objects

pcc

Have you ever been on a ride and watched someone lose something?

When we were on Diamondback today, someone a few rows in front of me lost their cellphone. It was very surreal to see it just sort of 'float' there as we went down the hill.

I have to say, the display of broken cell phones amuses me.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny to watch hats come off too. They sort of tumble about in the air. My husband snagged one on Snake River Falls at Cedar Point once. I never realized his reaction time was that fast!

I haven't physically watched a cell phone flying yet, but I did catch clbehymer's with my foot on Voyage. :lol:

On my very first ride on Magnum XL-200, I caught a flying portable phone (they were not yet called cell phones) a doctor had lost in front of us. Back then, 1989, it was the size and weight of a large, heavy brick. It was the most memorable part of that ride...and he was extremely grateful. I believe it had cost in excess of a thousand dollars!

Newbie to the forum here...

I can attest to a lot of change lost on DB... the last time we rode it, someone lost what seemed to be an entire pocketful of change before even leaving the station. When I heard the "clink clink clink" of change falling onto the floor of the train, I knew we were in for an interesting ride. At the crest of each hill, there were more quarters, dimes, nickels floating right in front of our faces (one of the nickels even hit my boyfriend in the face). The BF's brother likened it to effects straight out of The Matrix the way the change just seemed to hover in mid-air...

My first ride on DB, the guy in front of me lost his ceel phone and some change going up the lift. I was able to snag the phone right before it went off the back, but I couldn't reach the change. He was very grateful when I handed his phone back to him at the end of the ride.

Edit: How often do they clean off the net on the first drop?

I was in row 4 on Diamondback and some one in row 1 lost there phone on the 3rd airtime hill. It was like a scene out of the Matrix! It was floating in mid air right above my head but I couldn't reach it. Sadly no one caught it.

My first ride on DB, the guy in front of me lost his cell phone and some change going up the lift. I was able to snag the phone right before it went off the back, but I couldn't reach the change. He was very grateful when I handed his phone back to him at the end of the ride.

Edit: How often do they clean off the net on the first drop?

If I see something like a phone or Ipod or a wallet, I notify security and it's usually gone with an hour.

This is me and IBEW Sparky on opening day. The lady in front of us had her purse over her shoulder. I was holding it down the entire ride.

I wasn't really afraid she'd lose it but it kept flying up over her head and coming down and smacking her :)

b653aa7c.jpg

it looks like you're choking her :lol:

HTCO...were you on the DB yesterday? That's about where I saw the phone go too. NO one attempted to get it, we all just pointed in wonder lol

Interesting stories! In all my years of riding, that's a first for me to witness. It was very freaky indeed.

Anyone have a picture of the cellphone collection at DB? I wish I had my camera with me to grab a pic...but I was afraid it would become part of the collection too lol, so I didn't bring it in that area.

I have also witnessed piles of change floating through the air on Diamondback. One time I rode it and my contact lens case and a little eye dropper bottle of contact solution floated right out of my pocket on the drop before the first helix. Very surreal.

I don't think I've seen anything fly off on Diamondback, but I remember Justin_M17 caught a hat on The Racer during Ride Warriors Weekend while on the ride. Also, when we were at Cedar Point last weekend, violakat03, gigacoaster2k, and I saw an unknown object that was either white or silver go over our heads when we went down Millennium Force's first drop.

At Cedar Point, while standing at the ATM in the back of the park across from Magnum and Witches Wheel, someone's phone battery fell from Dragster and landed right next to me. And it was only the battery, not even the whole phone!

At Cedar Point, while standing at the ATM in the back of the park across from Magnum and Witches Wheel, someone's phone battery fell from Dragster and landed right next to me. And it was only the battery, not even the whole phone!

WOW! That's far away! Must have fallen out either during or just after it turned up the hill.

Once on Millenium Force, a tube of sun screen flew right out of my front pocket and into the lap of the person behind me.

This discussion shows the importance of securing things also for safety reasons. Something like a cel phone is a pretty blunt object and someone could get seriously hurt if it were to hit them in the head.

I've actually thought about safety a lot in the past few weeks. Watching all of the POV videos on Youtube...there's a lot of stupid folks out there putting many of us in danger. I'm just glad the phone fell off to the side instead of back. Otherwise, it would have been heading for me. I was right beside of it as it started falling.

:wacko:

When I rode DB for the first time, I had a purse that went over the shoulder, and I thought I had safely snugged down in the seat. Well, needless to say, over the second hill my purse got some major hang time, and it scared me cause I thought a bird was attacking me. I did grab it right away and held it for the rest of the ride.